Geeks, Geeks and More Geeks
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THIS FORUM IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. SORRY! DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REGISTER; YOUR REQUEST WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

keyboards

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
fay47
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
fay47

Number of posts : 1480
Registration date : 2008-10-17
Mood : none

keyboards Empty
PostSubject: keyboards   keyboards Empty12/3/2010, 19:29

The letters are already wearing off on many of the keys on my keyboard. It is the one that came with my computer that I got earlier this year. Of course I use it a lot. I can use it the way it is, but since it is pretty much the alpha keys that are wearing off and I don't look at them all the time. But, I want to have them there for when i have a senior moment and momentarily forget where a key is LOL

Anyway, I want to get a new keyboard and wanted ti see if anyone has any recommendations- brand wise or anything else. I want a wired one, and don't need anything fancy. But since I use it so much I need a good one.

I have looked on Wal-Marts site - and they have so many - I don't really know what to order - maybe it doesn't make much difference.

Any recommendations

Fay
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

Number of posts : 2378
Humor : Age: Older than Dirt!
Registration date : 2008-09-19

keyboards Empty
PostSubject: Re: keyboards   keyboards Empty12/7/2010, 00:47

The keyboards made by Microsoft and Dell last forever. I have the same Microsoft keyboard that I bought in July 2000 and it looks like the day I bought it, and have never had a problem with it. Same with the Dell keyboard I've had since Jan 2002. Logitech also makes a good keyboard.

Back to top Go down
fay47
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
fay47

keyboards Empty
PostSubject: Re: keyboards   keyboards Empty12/7/2010, 23:23

Repa,

I started looking at the keyboards but lost my internet connection and had to reboot - haven't gotten back to looking at them again yet. But I will. I am probably "worrying" about it too much. Probably about any of them, especially the brands you mentioned, would do.

Thanks,
Fay
Back to top Go down
pepperpot
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
pepperpot

Number of posts : 715
Humor : I think I have one
Mood : pensive

keyboards Empty
PostSubject: Re: keyboards   keyboards Empty12/8/2010, 22:18

Yeah Fay... I wouldnt really pay much attention to keyboards, I just look for a nice design that goes well with my hands. Always look for the cheap brands cause afterall... its just a keyboard, then again all the computers in this house are laptops and when we had a PC it was a compaq and they are good.

Logitec is one of the cheap brands here and I havent been dissapointed with the stuff I have bought.
Back to top Go down
fay47
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
fay47

keyboards Empty
PostSubject: Re: keyboards   keyboards Empty12/13/2010, 19:57

My keyboard works ok, it is just that the letters are wearing off. I still want to get a new one - but with things going on at work haven't felt much like dealing with it. I'll get around to it some time.

Thanks Repa and Sam for you input.

Fay
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

keyboards Empty
PostSubject: Re: keyboards   keyboards Empty12/13/2010, 21:02

You're welcome Fay. The letters don't wear off of the ones that I mentioned, and I use mine alot, especially the Microsoft keyboard.
Back to top Go down
wwe9112
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

Number of posts : 534
Registration date : 2008-10-23
Mood : mellow

keyboards Empty
PostSubject: Re: keyboards   keyboards Empty12/18/2010, 13:22

I use HP keyboards. We also have a sony one(I think that's the brand I foget its in the other room I am to lazy to look lol) and its like 15 years old and still works. Maybe not that old it came with a windows 95 pc.
Back to top Go down
fay47
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
fay47

keyboards Empty
PostSubject: Re: keyboards   keyboards Empty12/18/2010, 23:22

Hi wwe,

Don't see much of you around here these days. How are you doing?

Fay
Back to top Go down
fay47
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
fay47

keyboards Empty
PostSubject: Re: keyboards   keyboards Empty2/1/2011, 23:05

I got my new keyboard. It s a pretty basic Microsoft keyboard. So far I like it fine. I don't usually have much use for the "extra" keys, but it has one I do like. It has a key to bring up the calculaotr - I like that quite a bit.

Fay
Back to top Go down
pepperpot
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
pepperpot

keyboards Empty
PostSubject: Re: keyboards   keyboards Empty2/2/2011, 20:07

Lol... glad you are comfortable with it Fay and thanks for the tip!
Back to top Go down
angelface1961
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
angelface1961

Number of posts : 579
Registration date : 2009-01-10
Mood : fine

keyboards Empty
PostSubject: Re: keyboards   keyboards Empty2/4/2011, 00:12

I noticed that all the keyboards are usb hook ups. IS there such a thing as a USB adapter that has multiple ports where there is only one available on your computer?

Sorry I think I hijacked Faye
Back to top Go down
fay47
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
fay47

keyboards Empty
PostSubject: Re: keyboards   keyboards Empty2/4/2011, 00:36

Holly,

Yes, there are devices called USB hubs that plug into a usb port on the computer and allow you to plug muliple devices into it. I have never used one and don't really know anything about them. Maybe Repa does.

There are also usb/ps2 adapter. I had one - but didn't work too well for me, it was kind of flaky -sometimes it workeed and sometimes it did not - but maybe I just had a bad one - it was kind of old. But if it I worked I think it would be cheaper than a usb hub.

Here is a link to show you an example of a usb hub:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Targus-Ultra-Mini-USB-Hub-4-:Ports-PA055U/4216990

Here is a link to show you an example of an adapter:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1220387&CatId=469

I am not recommending either - just to show you what I am talking aobut.

Fay
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

keyboards Empty
PostSubject: Re: keyboards   keyboards Empty2/4/2011, 01:13

Yes, I have a USB hub with 4 ports - you can get one with more ports, I think up to 7 for under $50. Any store like Stables, Best Buy, Office Depot, etc., will have them. The one I have has its own power - plugs into the wall socket. You want to get a self-powered, Hi-speed USB 2.0 hub that is backward compatible with USB 1.0 and 1.1.
Back to top Go down
angelface1961
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
angelface1961

keyboards Empty
PostSubject: Re: keyboards   keyboards Empty2/4/2011, 11:59

LOL you just lost me but I will write down the words and take a look. I have too many things to plug into my computer some days and not enough ports. Thanks
Back to top Go down
pepperpot
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
pepperpot

keyboards Empty
PostSubject: Re: keyboards   keyboards Empty2/4/2011, 12:22

Lol... Holly just ask at the store for a USB HUB... they come with ports (connections) giving you extras from 2 to 7.

Make sure you get the one that uses the velocity of 2.0 (thats just the speed of transferal data)

Also... a self powerd one too.... meaning just one cord to conect to your computer some of them comes with an extra cord to draw power from the computer... heaven only knows why cause it works just as well with out pugging it in

you can find from simple design to groovy ones, just make sure you get a self-powered one
http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&q=usb%20hubs&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&biw=1017&bih=554

I prefer the simple designs like this one
keyboards Elecom

I have one of these.... which has four ports at the back but the velocity in only 1.0
keyboards USB-mouse-mat1
Back to top Go down
angelface1961
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
angelface1961

keyboards Empty
PostSubject: Re: keyboards   keyboards Empty2/4/2011, 22:39

Cool...thanks for the pics. I would have gone in and basically said. "I was told that you have something I can hook up more usbs to kinda looks like a power strip thingy" Laughing The info you and Repa gave me really helps. Thanks!

Back to top Go down
pepperpot
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
pepperpot

keyboards Empty
PostSubject: Re: keyboards   keyboards Empty2/5/2011, 14:30

well it is a "kinda power strip thingy" Razz

just make sure it just requieres one cord... if it comes with more than one then dont get that model!!

Though if you get a 7 port you should get one with that extra power supply cord so it can provide the full power to each port
Back to top Go down
angelface1961
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
angelface1961

keyboards Empty
PostSubject: Re: keyboards   keyboards Empty2/5/2011, 19:59

pepperpot wrote:
well it is a "kinda power strip thingy" Razz

just make sure it just requieres one cord... if it comes with more than one then dont get that model!!

Though if you get a 7 port you should get one with that extra power supply cord so it can provide the full power to each port

Cool that makes sense and I understand what I am asking for too. That's cool. You guys rock!
Back to top Go down
fay47
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
fay47

keyboards Empty
PostSubject: Re: keyboards   keyboards Empty4/16/2011, 16:29

Would you beleive, the letters are already starting to wear off some of the keys on my new keyboard - The E is the worst one right now.
Sad

Fay
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

keyboards Empty
PostSubject: Re: keyboards   keyboards Empty4/16/2011, 23:04

Really!!! affraid Well, all I can say is that today they just don't make things to last like they used to. I've had my Microsoft keyboard since July 2000 and there isn't a single worn key on it - and you know I use it a lot! But, I can't find the model that I have on the internet - they probably don't make it any more. It was $29.95 when I bought it back then, if I remember correctly.

That was less than 3 months ago that you got that keyboard, right? You should be able to return it under warranty and get your money back, or a replacement.
Back to top Go down
fay47
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
fay47

keyboards Empty
PostSubject: Re: keyboards   keyboards Empty4/17/2011, 00:20

Repa,

I don't know what the problem is. Maybe it is soemthing in my system - I don't know.

I am really on the computer a lot - since I work at it all day and then am on a lot after work. I have always had the letter tend to wear a little bit, but the last year or two seems has really been bad.

Fay
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

keyboards Empty
PostSubject: Re: keyboards   keyboards Empty4/20/2011, 10:06

I was talking to a guy who runs a computer repair shop where I live and he said that a lot of women wear out keyboards because of their long fingernails. Does that maybe apply to you?
Back to top Go down
fay47
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
fay47

keyboards Empty
PostSubject: Re: keyboards   keyboards Empty4/20/2011, 11:25

Repa,

I don't keep my finernails very long. Might not have to bed too long thought before they could affetct things. Guess I'll have to try to pay attention and see if they are clicking on they keys. I have never noticed it.

Thanks for the info.

Fay

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

keyboards Empty
PostSubject: Re: keyboards   keyboards Empty

Back to top Go down

keyboards
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Geeks, Geeks and More Geeks :: Windows Computer Help :: Computer Discussion-
Jump to: