Geeks, Geeks and More Geeks
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THIS FORUM IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. SORRY! DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REGISTER; YOUR REQUEST WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

APACHE Server

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
fay47
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
fay47

Number of posts : 1480
Registration date : 2008-10-17
Mood : none

APACHE Server Empty
PostSubject: APACHE Server   APACHE Server Empty1/13/2011, 17:59

If I can learn php it might help me at work. I was told that I need to at least start trying to learn on my own. I asked one of the guy I work what I would need to install to be able to run from my computer. He gave me this link: http://www.wampserver.com/en/download.php
It includes the apache server, php and mysql. He is not going to have time to help me much.

I have not downloaded it yet. Is there anything I should know about downloading and installing it. I have no idea how to configure. Will I open up security issuses if I install it?
I would be installing in only for my own use in learning and would not want anyone else to be alte to connect.

Does anyone know anything that might help.

OR

Do you know of a free hosting site that has php and sql available. I think I used one for an HP class back serveral years ago, but I can't remember. I am a little nervouse about setting up the server on my computer.

Right now I aim trying IIS. Have it running at least sort of - can display a simple web page - but not sure I have it set up the way it should be. And, at this point don't know if I will be able to user it for php

Fay

Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

Number of posts : 2378
Humor : Age: Older than Dirt!
Registration date : 2008-09-19

APACHE Server Empty
PostSubject: Re: APACHE Server   APACHE Server Empty1/14/2011, 17:52

Sorry I'm not much help with php, Fay. Can't tell you much about the download from the site you gave in your post, but here's a site with very good reviews on it's tutorials and they include php and mysql - you might want to take a look:

http://www.w3schools.com/PHP/DEfaULT.asP

This link gives you information about the Apache Server:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apache_HTTP_Server
Back to top Go down
wwe9112
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

Number of posts : 534
Registration date : 2008-10-23
Mood : mellow

APACHE Server Empty
PostSubject: Re: APACHE Server   APACHE Server Empty1/14/2011, 21:45

I have it on my computer, no this will not open up any security holes at all...you can't access it anywhere other than your own computer this is for a local server. To go live you have to open up ports in your routers, and what not. You also need a business internet(not needed but without it itll be so so so slow) I've had it for a few years and haven't had a problem.
Back to top Go down
fay47
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
fay47

APACHE Server Empty
PostSubject: Re: APACHE Server   APACHE Server Empty1/14/2011, 22:09

Reap and wwe,

Thanks for the information. I will probably start going thru the tutorial Monday.
Since IIS was already on my computer I spent most of the day trying to get it working. It is working now but still don't know if I have everything set up correctly.

I haven't loaded SQl yet - I want to play around with it first. But if I used it for work I'll need to learn to use php with SQL. The link the guy gave me includes a download for MYSQL I think - but at work they use MS sql server. So, I may try to download the express edition.

Wwe, If I do go back and download APACE for some reason, I may be asking you some questions.

Thanks to you both,
Fay
Back to top Go down
wwe9112
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

Number of posts : 534
Registration date : 2008-10-23
Mood : mellow

APACHE Server Empty
PostSubject: Re: APACHE Server   APACHE Server Empty1/16/2011, 23:38

That WAMP should have it in it already just install it and run with it it's safe.
Back to top Go down
fay47
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
fay47

APACHE Server Empty
PostSubject: Re: APACHE Server   APACHE Server Empty1/17/2011, 00:08

wwe,

I got IIS set up and working with PHP. If I can get it all working together with MSSQL I may just stickwith that. I haven't downloaded MSSQL yet, just playing around with php. I need to learn CSS also.

Fay

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

APACHE Server Empty
PostSubject: Re: APACHE Server   APACHE Server Empty

Back to top Go down

APACHE Server
Page 1 of 1