Geeks, Geeks and More Geeks
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THIS FORUM IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. SORRY! DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REGISTER; YOUR REQUEST WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Passwords

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

Number of posts : 2378
Humor : Age: Older than Dirt!
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Passwords Empty
PostSubject: Passwords   Passwords Empty4/2/2011, 01:10

Has your email account been hacked? Here's an article everyone should read, whether your email account or any internet accounts have been hacked or not:

http://money.msn.com/identity-theft/how-i-would-hack-your-passwords.aspx
Back to top Go down
angelface1961
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
angelface1961

Number of posts : 579
Registration date : 2009-01-10
Mood : fine

Passwords Empty
PostSubject: Re: Passwords   Passwords Empty4/2/2011, 09:47

Interesting information. I have started before I read this article to use harder passwords, something i would remember but not easily discovered. Using Caps symbols and numbers. I still tend to rely on just a couple variations though. I know the main word is not something anyone would guess. Have you tried that program he was talking about? RoboForm?

I know in Firefox Options you can retrieve a forgotten password have used that a lot...but now that makes me nervous. Hmmm something to think about.
Back to top Go down
goofrey
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2009-01-21

Passwords Empty
PostSubject: Re: Passwords   Passwords Empty4/3/2011, 07:11

Have a look at LastPass.It will generate passwords of different lengths,upper & lowercase letters & special characters as needed.
https://lastpass.com/features_free.php

Back to top Go down
angelface1961
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
angelface1961

Passwords Empty
PostSubject: Re: Passwords   Passwords Empty4/5/2011, 20:41

Hey Goofrey good to see you...do you use this? Does it work for work sites that seem to block auto saving a password? Will it work remotely like logging into it on a different computer? I have trouble remembering passwords when I am on a separate different computer. I think have 12 different ones because my work sites require a set password.

Just curious...
Back to top Go down
angelface1961
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
angelface1961

Passwords Empty
PostSubject: Re: Passwords   Passwords Empty4/7/2011, 18:51

Ok am trying out LastPass it does not like my Firefox or Firefox does not like it. It works with IE of course but not Firefox 3 or maybe it is just mine. I had started using Firefox 4 Beta and my computer had issues so uninstalled it. Now my regular Firefox won't do what it used to do.
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

Passwords Empty
PostSubject: Re: Passwords   Passwords Empty4/7/2011, 23:34

Holly, you may have to completely uninstall Firefox, delete the "Mozilla Firefox" folder in "Program Files" on your C drive and re-install Firefox 3 to get things working like before. If you didn't download and save the Firefox 3 setup application on your hard drive, I have the Firefox 3.6.10 setup application that I can make available to you. Let me know if you want to do as I suggested and need the app, and I'll tell you how you can access it for download on my website.
Back to top Go down
angelface1961
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
angelface1961

Passwords Empty
PostSubject: Re: Passwords   Passwords Empty4/12/2011, 12:58

Hi I have the download in my folder. I deleted both firefoxes and took out the Beta folder form my program file. Did I need to remove the other file for Firefox 3 also? I ran CCleaner and then restarted my computer and reinstalled Firefox.

Lastpass did not "attach" to Firefox here is the message I got

Firefox could not install the file at

https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/downloads/file/111749/lastpass_password_manager-1.72.0-tb+fx+sm+fn-windows.xpi?src=api

because: Unexpected installation error
Review the Error Console log for more details.

Questions:
1. Should I have removed Firefox 3's program file?
2, Should I have checked the box to not save all the passwords and personal info?
3. Since the last couple updates to Avast some things are not working like they used to it is blocking things it didn't block before, my computer is safer but things like this above happen more... not sure related or not...
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

Passwords Empty
PostSubject: Re: Passwords   Passwords Empty4/12/2011, 13:42

When I have had problems with a new Firefox browser and wanted to go back to an earlier version, I deleted all versions shown in Add/Remove programs and deleted the Mozilla Firefox folder in Program Files on the C drive to get a fresh start. If you are concerned about losing your passwords, display them and print them out. The other thing you can try before doing all that is to see if the following link that addresses the problem you are having fixes things for you:

https://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/unable%20to%20install%20add-ons#w_unexpected-installation-error-203

About Avast, I had the same problem:

1. Bring up the main menu of avast. Click the Maintenance button in the left column and verify that you have Program version 6.0.1000. If you have an earlier version, click the update button to update.

2. Click the Real-time Shields button in the left column, then click Behavior Shield > Expert Settings and uncheck "Monitor the system for unauthorized modifications." This thing is working like Tea-timer in Spybot and is a pain in the u know what, so I turned it off.

Haven't had any more problems with Avast since doing the above.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Passwords Empty
PostSubject: Re: Passwords   Passwords Empty

Back to top Go down

Passwords
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Geeks, Geeks and More Geeks :: Windows Computer Help :: Computer Security-
Jump to: