Geeks, Geeks and More Geeks
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THIS FORUM IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. SORRY! DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REGISTER; YOUR REQUEST WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

google Chrome

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

Number of posts : 1165
Humor : Yes
Registration date : 2009-10-26

google Chrome Empty
PostSubject: google Chrome   google Chrome Empty5/19/2011, 15:11

Repa, or anyone that can help,

I installed Chrome to try it, and it didn't have bookmarks, tools, etc. at the top as usual with browsers. It downloaded & installed in my limited account, and I thought I was in an Admin. account, while I was installing it. The Chrome icon didn't show up in any of the other accounts, as is the Norm. So, I decided to uninstall it and start over, and see if I installed it in Admin. account if the bookmarks, etc. would then show up.

Problem is once installed Google must want you to keep it. When I clicked to Uninstall the web page it was carrying me to didn't completely download after more than an hour. The progress bar was only showing 4-5 green marks.

Any suggestions as how to get this thing uninstalled?
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

Number of posts : 2378
Humor : Age: Older than Dirt!
Registration date : 2008-09-19

google Chrome Empty
PostSubject: Re: google Chrome   google Chrome Empty5/19/2011, 16:55

Follow the directions given here:

http://www.google.es/support/chrome/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=111899

Be sure to save a new restore point before beginning the procedure given.
Back to top Go down
angelface1961
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
angelface1961

Number of posts : 579
Registration date : 2009-01-10
Mood : fine

google Chrome Empty
PostSubject: Re: google Chrome   google Chrome Empty5/30/2011, 19:18

How is Chrome working for you? Have been tempted to download it myself as a back up browser instead of IE as my back up. But am a little nervous about installing so thought to ask.
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

google Chrome Empty
PostSubject: Re: google Chrome   google Chrome Empty7/10/2011, 19:28

angelface1961 wrote:
How is Chrome working for you? Have been tempted to download it myself as a back up browser instead of IE as my back up. But am a little nervous about installing so thought to ask.

I never did get it so I could use it.
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

google Chrome Empty
PostSubject: Re: google Chrome   google Chrome Empty7/10/2011, 20:06

Repa,
To follow the instructions in the google link you gave above,

1) Do I need to be in IE browser?

2) Do I need to be in Admin. Account?

3) Also, in the Manually uninstall Google Chrome in Windows, #2 says: Right-click this link. Then #3 says: Click Save Link as and save the file name as remove.reg. (Select "All files" as your file type.) While reading the instructions, I right clicked the link in #2, and didn't get a menu that says "Save Link as". The Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 page opened up.

4) I'm just trying to find out what to do, before I get stuck in the middle of the removal process, and screw it up because the menus don't open up.?
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

google Chrome Empty
PostSubject: Re: google Chrome   google Chrome Empty7/11/2011, 01:24

Where you been, WC? You started this thread almost 2 months ago!

It looks like they have you in the Google Chrome browser in those instructions, but I don't see why any browser wouldn't work for this step.

1. Right-click "this link" as instructed and a popup menu will appear.

2. From the menu, select "Save target as" and a window will appear.

3. Using the down-arrow to the right of "Save as type", change "Text Document" to "All Files" from the drop-down menu that appears when you click on the down-arrow.

4. Change the name of the file to be saved from "remove.txt" to "remove.reg" and click the "Save" button.
Note: before you click the Save button, pay attention to where the "Save as window" is sending the file (at the top of the window where it says "Save in". If you're using the Google Chrome browser, it probably sends it to your desktop. If you use IE, it likely will send it to your "My Documents" folder on your C drive, so be sure you know where it is going so you can find it. You can always select "Desktop" by clicking the down-arrow after "Save in", if that's where you want it to go.

5. Continue to follow the directions in the steps that follow.
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

google Chrome Empty
PostSubject: Re: google Chrome   google Chrome Empty7/11/2011, 18:55

More like 6 months behind, & hoping to catch up.

After sending to where ever, & then locating it, will I have to delete it, or something? I was thinking after following the instructions, that would be the end of it, & it would be uninstalled?
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

google Chrome Empty
PostSubject: Re: google Chrome   google Chrome Empty7/11/2011, 21:55

That's what the instructions say - it takes all the registry entries out if I read things right and then it's gone. Make sure by deleting the Google Chrome folder in Program Files if it's still there (I don't know what it's named since I haven't installed it, so you'll have to look for it).
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

google Chrome Empty
PostSubject: Re: google Chrome   google Chrome Empty7/12/2011, 00:08

Repa,

I just found the Chrome Installer in a folder. Don't know why I couldn't locate it before now.
But, I just had a novel idea. Maybe it would be better, all around, now that I've found it, to just install it, and see how it works for me, if at all? And then, if things don't work out, maybe it would be easier to uninstall it at that time?

What's your opinion?
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

google Chrome Empty
PostSubject: Re: google Chrome   google Chrome Empty7/12/2011, 01:04

I guess I don't understand what you are saying. Your first post as indicated in the quote below indicates you installed Google Chrome and then you wanted to uninstall it and couldn't and that's what you needed help with. So, I really don't understand your last post above????

wcturner wrote:
Repa, or anyone that can help,

I installed Chrome to try it, and it didn't have bookmarks, tools, etc. at the top as usual with browsers. It downloaded & installed in my limited account, and I thought I was in an Admin. account, while I was installing it. The Chrome icon didn't show up in any of the other accounts, as is the Norm. So, I decided to uninstall it and start over, and see if I installed it in Admin. account if the bookmarks, etc. would then show up.

Problem is once installed Google must want you to keep it. When I clicked to Uninstall the web page it was carrying me to didn't completely download after more than an hour. The progress bar was only showing 4-5 green marks.

Any suggestions as how to get this thing uninstalled?
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

google Chrome Empty
PostSubject: Re: google Chrome   google Chrome Empty7/12/2011, 01:31

As mentioned, it didn't have bookmarks, etc, then I was unable to locate it to try to get it uninstalled. To this day, there's no shortcut, or an Icon to click on, or anything. I still don't know what happened, I have no explanation.

But, my question posted today, I thought since I found the Chrome Installer app., that I might go throught the installation again, and see if it will work this time, bookmarks, etc, and if not, maybe it would be easier to uninstall it. Does it make any sense to you now? Hope so.
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

google Chrome Empty
PostSubject: Re: google Chrome   google Chrome Empty7/12/2011, 10:34

Sure, what have you got to lose? It's supposed to be a pretty good and fast browser. FYI, I've installed IE8 on my xp computer recently, and the problems I had with it in the past seem to have been resolved by Mircrosoft - haven't had any problems with it so far, and it's faster than IE6.

Whatever you do, write down the date and save a restore point before doing it that you can come back to if necessary. One way to remove something you don't want if all else fails is to delete the application folder in Program Files and then do a system restore back to a point before the application was installed. Quick and dirty, but it works! It's the beginner's equivalent of what I would do if the program was not uninstallable from Add/Remove Programs, except after deleting the program folder, I'd go through the registry myself and remove all the references to the application manually. That's what that remove.reg file in that article I pointed you to does. However, I don't recommend that you edit the registry yourself - you need to know what you are doing when you do that.
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

google Chrome Empty
PostSubject: Re: google Chrome   google Chrome Empty7/12/2011, 19:35

Are you, by any chance, suggesting that I don't know what I'm doing????? Laughing Smile

Thanks for the FYI on IE8!
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

google Chrome Empty
PostSubject: Re: google Chrome   google Chrome Empty7/19/2011, 01:38

Repa, Update. Got Chrome up and running. I think I'm gonna like it. Need to check all the features, and get the settings fixed, and all. It seems pretty fast also.

For HollyAnn: Try it, You'll probably like it!
Back to top Go down
angelface1961
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
angelface1961

google Chrome Empty
PostSubject: Re: google Chrome   google Chrome Empty7/20/2011, 22:25

thinking of doing it just for the translator. Not liking the ads I have seen though they turn me off.
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

google Chrome Empty
PostSubject: Re: google Chrome   google Chrome Empty7/21/2011, 15:56

I haven't noticed any ads.
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

google Chrome Empty
PostSubject: Re: google Chrome   google Chrome Empty7/21/2011, 21:50

Holly, if you're looking for a really good language translator, here's the one that I use all the time:

http://translate.reference.com/
Back to top Go down
pepperpot
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
pepperpot

Number of posts : 715
Humor : I think I have one
Mood : pensive

google Chrome Empty
PostSubject: Re: google Chrome   google Chrome Empty7/21/2011, 22:17

Repa wrote:
Holly, if you're looking for a really good language translator, here's the one that I use all the time:

I second that. Ever since Repa told me about it I have been using that one. I used both recently for a thecnical health machine and this one was more coherant
Back to top Go down
angelface1961
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
angelface1961

google Chrome Empty
PostSubject: Re: google Chrome   google Chrome Empty7/21/2011, 22:29

pepperpot wrote:
Repa wrote:

I second that. Ever since Repa told me about it I have been using that one. I used both recently for a thecnical health machine and this one was more coherant

I will have to give that one a try Thanks for the heads up. Have been using Bing Translator but sometimes I have been told it translated awkwardly. Most of the time they tell me to just write in English and they will translate it themselves. So not sure what they are getting. Will let you know how this one works for me.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

google Chrome Empty
PostSubject: Re: google Chrome   google Chrome Empty

Back to top Go down

google Chrome
Page 1 of 1