Geeks, Geeks and More Geeks
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THIS FORUM IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. SORRY! DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REGISTER; YOUR REQUEST WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

ad-ware and windows defender

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
fay47
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
fay47

Number of posts : 1480
Registration date : 2008-10-17
Mood : none

ad-ware and windows defender Empty
PostSubject: ad-ware and windows defender   ad-ware and windows defender Empty6/6/2011, 20:02

I have ended up with both windows defender and ad-ware 9.0.6. THey both have some real-time protecetion. Not sure what I should do with it.

I just have the free verions of ad-aware. I have never messed with the settings much. On the real time protection - it shows 4 protection types:
processes
files
registry
network
The only one in shows to be on is processes. DOn't know how to turn the other, I think you have to have the paid version for those.
It I go to the Settings for ad-wathch -
over on the left it has 4 checkboxes under ad-watch live modules.
proteccesses protection
files protection
registry protection
network protection
It shows all 4 of those as checked eventhough I only have processes protection activated. Not realy sure about this.

on the right it has 3 check boxes
behavior-based detection
anti-virus engine
winologon protection
the bottom 2 are checked it will not let me check the top one.
I did not think ad-awrare was an antivirus. Not sure wata to do about any of this.

Maybe I should just un-install adware - what do you think?

Fay

Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

Number of posts : 2378
Humor : Age: Older than Dirt!
Registration date : 2008-09-19

PostSubject: Re: ad-ware and windows defender   ad-ware and windows defender Empty6/6/2011, 21:45

fay47 wrote:
I have ended up with both windows defender and ad-ware 9.0.6. THey both have some real-time protecetion. Not sure what I should do with it.

I just have the free verions of ad-aware. I have never messed with the settings much. On the real time protection - it shows 4 protection types:
processes
files
registry
network
The only one in shows to be on is processes. DOn't know how to turn the other, I think you have to have the paid version for those.
It I go to the Settings for ad-wathch -
over on the left it has 4 checkboxes under ad-watch live modules.
proteccesses protection
files protection
registry protection
network protection
It shows all 4 of those as checked eventhough I only have processes protection activated. Not realy sure about this.

In the free version, the only thing that works is the "Processes Protection." I have not updated since Ad-Aware version 8.2.6 because Ad-Aware has become a monstrous resource hog since then. Perhaps all 4 are checked because you are in the "trial period" for deciding whether or not to use the full version? If not, then only Processes Protection should be checked, or perhaps the versions newer than mine have them all checked but only Processes Protection active.

on the right it has 3 check boxes
behavior-based detection
anti-virus engine
winologon protection
the bottom 2 are checked it will not let me check the top one.
I did not think ad-awrare was an antivirus. Not sure wata to do about any of this.

The anti-virus application is new from about 8.2.6 on, but is only turned on in the paid-for version and during the trial period. It should not be turned on with Avast or any other anti-virus one might have on their computer. Only one anti-virus application should be running as they will conflict with each other. I would not trade Avast in favor of Ad-Aware anti-virus for a second! On my free version of Ad-Aware (8.2.6), there are only check boxes for "Behavior-Based protection" and "Anti-virus engine" and neither can be checked because I have the free version.

Maybe I should just un-install adware - what do you think?

Well, that's up to you. On one of my machines I lost my main motherboard buss when my power supply failed, and had to switch to the alternate backup buss. It is much slower than the main buss, and I had Ad-aware on that machine. With the main buss out, it took forever to boot up and show Ad-aware in the system tray, so I took Ad-aware off and put Windows Defender on. Windows Defender is not much to brag about, but it's better than nothing, and may have a better realtime monitor than Ad-aware. If your network is on a router, which I assume yours is, then going to Windows Defender is probably not a bad choice, especially if your version of Ad-aware is slowing your computer down. You could just disable the realtime protection and set Ad-aware up in Services to start manually only when you want to use it to run scans. That way, it won't hog your resources except when you want to use it to scan your computer for adware and other malware. Anti-spyware applications do not conflict with one another, so you can have more than one on your computer running at the same time.

I have Ad-aware on 2 of my 4 computers, Windows Defender on the other 2, and I'm seriously thinking about using Windows Defender on all 4 until a better, free alternative with real-time monitoring comes along. I've read about Windows Security Essentials, and it has fair to good reviews, but I wouldn't want to exchange Avast for that unless you can turn the anti-virus engine off in Windows Security Essentials, and I can't find out if that can be done without downloading and installing it, and I'm not ready to do that. Also, I've read that Windows Security Essentials is not updated daily, and that's bad if you're using its anti-virus engine, which I don't know if you can turn off just that part of it or not so you can use another anti-virus application.

Back to top Go down
fay47
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
fay47

PostSubject: Re: ad-ware and windows defender   ad-ware and windows defender Empty6/6/2011, 22:25

Repa,

I do have a router and use AVAST for my antiviurs. I think I like your idea of keeping Ad-Aware but turning off the reatime protectsion and setting so that will not start up unless I actually run it. And then I'll make sure the realtime protection is turned on for Windows Defender.

So far I have been happy with AVAST and have seen it recommended other places also. For a software firewall I just use the windows firewall, hopeuflly with the routher that will be enough. I think I tired COMODO but ended up getting rid of it - can't remember why.

oh, do you happen to know what the servicec are for ad-aware.

Thanks again,
Fay
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

Number of posts : 2378
Humor : Age: Older than Dirt!
Registration date : 2008-09-19

PostSubject: Re: ad-ware and windows defender   ad-ware and windows defender Empty6/7/2011, 01:19

Yes, Lavasoft Ad-Aware Service
Back to top Go down
fay47
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
fay47

PostSubject: Re: ad-ware and windows defender   ad-ware and windows defender Empty6/7/2011, 19:08

Repa,

I think I got it done. I should have thought of that Rolling Eyes
I was just looking for Ad-Aware instead of Lavasoft Ad-Adware.

Thanks,
Fay
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ad-ware and windows defender   ad-ware and windows defender Empty

Back to top Go down

ad-ware and windows defender
Page 1 of 1