Geeks, Geeks and More Geeks
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THIS FORUM IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. SORRY! DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REGISTER; YOUR REQUEST WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Service Pack 3

Go down 
2 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

Number of posts : 1165
Humor : Yes
Registration date : 2009-10-26

Service Pack 3 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Service Pack 3   Service Pack 3 - Page 2 Empty9/18/2011, 21:48

Every time I change it back to Selective Start Up, after the reboot, the thing changes itself back to the Normal Start. Besides the slow start up in Normal, there's 4 more icons in task tray than it was in Selective start. It was very unstable earlier when I posted last, but, seems to have to have calmed down a little now.

Quote: Or, since there are only 8 processes running, you could write the names of each of them in your next post. That was in Selective Start, there's a lot more than 8 in the Normal Start.

I'll try the screen shots with you new instructions.
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

Number of posts : 2378
Humor : Age: Older than Dirt!
Registration date : 2008-09-19

PostSubject: Re: Service Pack 3   Service Pack 3 - Page 2 Empty9/18/2011, 22:00

Hmm, thats interesting and not what should happen. It should not be changing the startup configuration you select. Unfortunately, I can't explain why the difference. How much more stable is it? Are your browsers working right now, like the color highlight function on the message board, for instance?

You should be able to get the startup configuration back to where it was by doing a restore back to the time before you made the change, but if your system is more stable now, you might want to think twice about doing that.
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: Service Pack 3   Service Pack 3 - Page 2 Empty9/19/2011, 00:29

Repa wrote:
Hmm, thats interesting and not what should happen. It should not be changing the startup configuration you select. Unfortunately, I can't explain why the difference. How much more stable is it? Are your browsers working right now, like the color highlight function on the message board, for instance? Color still not working in Firefox. It still works in the others, just as before the switch..

You should be able to get the startup configuration back to where it was by doing a restore back to the time before you made the change, but if your system is more stable now, you might want to think twice about doing that.
Haven't had a chance to use browsers much since it seemed to Start Up a little faster.

I'm gonna try for the screen shot now before I go to bed.
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: Service Pack 3   Service Pack 3 - Page 2 Empty9/19/2011, 17:59

Service Pack 3 - Page 2 Task12
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: Service Pack 3   Service Pack 3 - Page 2 Empty9/19/2011, 18:05

The rest of the processes when I tried to post here instead of the pic like the one I got posted, didn't show the screenshot, it had something about "thumb", and it wouldn't let me post it. I guess I'll have to try another screen shot.
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: Service Pack 3   Service Pack 3 - Page 2 Empty9/19/2011, 23:28

Service Pack 3 - Page 2 Task211
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: Service Pack 3   Service Pack 3 - Page 2 Empty9/19/2011, 23:51

1) Finally got this to work. When doing the screen shots, mine didn't have a paste icon, I had to mouse over to Edit & click paste there, & it worked.

2) Also, had a terrible time posting screen shots. I wasn't getting the prompts as it should give them. I had to keep trying different things as a work around to get it to host the shots. When posting the last scr shot, I didn't have the "Save" option, only "Open". Wasn't offered the jpeg option, only "All Files" option, so I didn't know if it was going to work, but, it did.

3) Oh, BTW, the other scr shot that wasn't allowed to post in thread, when I went to "My Pictures" underneath the pic was Thumbs.db(Data Base File(605KB). I'm gonna just go back & delete that one.
4) It finally crossed my mind that all these types of things I'm describing above, the color icon when posting here, is the direct result of these "Recent Problems".? You got an opinion?

5) If you don't mind, after you view the screen shots, if there's anything else to disable in the task mgr. processes, please tell me how to turn them back on, I know to shut them down is to>Highlite & click shutdown, after trying SP3 again?
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

PostSubject: Re: Service Pack 3   Service Pack 3 - Page 2 Empty9/20/2011, 23:30

You can shut down processes in the Task Manager just before starting the SP3 update and they will start again when the computer reboots. You have Avast, Windows Defender, Ad-Aware, SuperAntiSpyware, Asquared and some other stuff running. Disable Avast as before, shut down any the following processes you find running and then start the SP3 update:

MSAScui.exe
McSACore.exe
SASCore.exe
MsMpEng.exe
AAWService.exe
AvastSvc.exe
A2service.exe

Be sure you keep track of what step in the update process you are in should the update fail again, and what was going on, and messages you get. If the installation hangs or you receive an error, give it at least 2-3 hours to resolve itself on its own. Then, if it doesn't resolve iteself, open the Task Manger by pressing "Ctrl-Alt-Del." Click the "Processes" tab. Check for processes "cscript.exe" or "fixccs.exe" in the list. If you find either or both of these processes, right-click each and click "End Process." Or alternatively, click on the process and then click the End Process button. This should force the installation to continue.

Is your system running more stable with the Normal Startup?

Last edited by Repa on 9/21/2011, 15:52; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: Service Pack 3   Service Pack 3 - Page 2 Empty9/21/2011, 01:05

Repa wrote:
You can shut down processes in the Task Manager just before starting the SP3 update and they will start again when the computer reboots.

You have Avast, Windows Defender, Ad-Aware, SuperAntiSpyware, Asquared and some other stuff running. I only use Ad-Aware to scan with now, as far as I know I don't have Asquared anymore. Where do I disable Windows Defender, SuperAntiSpyware, Malwarebytes? I just looked and don't see them in Task Manager. And, to be sure, how do I disable them? And, this is strange, when I looked moments ago, Task Manager tonight only has 16 processes running, and when I made the screen shots yesterday, there was a lot more running!

Disable Avast as before, shut down any the following processes you find running and then start the SP3 update:

MSAScui.exe
McSACore.exe
SASCore.exe
MsMpEng.exe
AAWService.exe
AvastSvc.exe
A2service.exe
Be sure you keep track of what step in the update process you are in should the update fail again, and what was going on, and messages you get.

If the installation hangs or you receive an error, give it at least 2-3 hours to resolve itself on its own. If either happens, I'm to just leave it sitting just as is, and not change anything, and keep a close eye on it for 2-3 hours, to see if the install will continue on it's own, correct?

Then, if it doesn't resolve iteself, open the Task Manger by pressing "Ctrl-Alt-Del." Here's another thing that does not work properly on my computer, CTRL-ALT-DEL, won't open up Task Manager. To open it, I have to mover mouse down to the blue bar at bottom of screen, & right click mouse to open window, & click Task Manager option.

Click the "Processes" tab. Check for processes "cscript.exe" or "fixccs.exe" in the list. If you find either or both of these processes, right-click each and click "End Process." Or alternatively, click on the process and then click the End Process button. This should force the installation to continue.

Is your system running more stable with the Normal Startup? It is more stable now, than when I changed it the other day.
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

PostSubject: Re: Service Pack 3   Service Pack 3 - Page 2 Empty9/21/2011, 16:10

wcturner wrote:
Repa wrote:
You can shut down processes in the Task Manager just before starting the SP3 update and they will start again when the computer reboots.

You have Avast, Windows Defender, Ad-Aware, SuperAntiSpyware, Asquared and some other stuff running. I only use Ad-Aware to scan with now, as far as I know I don't have Asquared anymore. Where do I disable Windows Defender, SuperAntiSpyware, Malwarebytes? I just looked and don't see them in Task Manager. And, to be sure, how do I disable them? And, this is strange, when I looked moments ago, Task Manager tonight only has 16 processes running, and when I made the screen shots yesterday, there was a lot more running!

Disable Avast as before, shut down any the following processes you find running and then start the SP3 update:

MSAScui.exe
McSACore.exe
SASCore.exe
MsMpEng.exe
AAWService.exe
AvastSvc.exe
A2service.exe

The above are the Processor Names for those programs. They are the ones that show in the screen prints you posted of the processes running in task manager, including asquared. Click on each one to highlight it, click the End Process button to stop it, and do this for each one you find still running in the task manager before doing the SP3 install. They will start again when the system reboots after the SP3 install.

The processes come and go as they are needed unless you forcibly stop them. Don't worry about how many you see at a given point in time.

Be sure you keep track of what step in the update process you are in should the update fail again, and what was going on, and messages you get.

If the installation hangs or you receive an error, give it at least 2-3 hours to resolve itself on its own. If either happens, I'm to just leave it sitting just as is, and not change anything, and keep a close eye on it for 2-3 hours, to see if the install will continue on it's own, correct?

correct

Then, if it doesn't resolve iteself, open the Task Manger by pressing "Ctrl-Alt-Del." Here's another thing that does not work properly on my computer, CTRL-ALT-DEL, won't open up Task Manager. To open it, I have to mover mouse down to the blue bar at bottom of screen, & right click mouse to open window, & click Task Manager option.

You know WC, with all the problems you keep bringing up about this computer, the more skeptical I am that the SP3 install will work, and if it does work, that it will fix these problems, but you can try. The worse thing that can happen is you'll have to do a clean install of Windows XP, either by taking it to a repair shop or doing it yourself if you can get the Recovery CDs made before doing the SP3 update.

Click the "Processes" tab. Check for processes "cscript.exe" or "fixccs.exe" in the list. If you find either or both of these processes, right-click each and click "End Process." Or alternatively, click on the process and then click the End Process button. This should force the installation to continue.

Is your system running more stable with the Normal Startup? It is more stable now, than when I changed it the other day.
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: Service Pack 3   Service Pack 3 - Page 2 Empty9/21/2011, 19:18

You know WC, with all the problems you keep bringing up about this computer, the more skeptical I am that the SP3 install will work, and if it does work, that it will fix these problems, but you can try. I hear your frustration! Now, take yours & multiply it by 20 times, & you have my frustration! I can't get one thing fixed that 5 more don't crop up!

The worse thing that can happen is you'll have to do a clean install of Windows XP, either by taking it to a repair shop or doing it yourself if you can get the Recovery CDs made before doing the SP3 update. Are you saying that trying to install SP3 now, there's a possibility, that computer could discontinue working at all, and I should try to make recovery cd's before trying to install SP3 again?

Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

PostSubject: Re: Service Pack 3   Service Pack 3 - Page 2 Empty9/21/2011, 22:04

What I'm saying is that if you want to try to do the recovery yourself should SP3 fail again, or your computer becomes even more unstable, you should try to create the disks while things are still working. You don't know what tomorrow will bring, or what the end result of trying to install SP3 will be, so do it while you can unless you don't want to try it yourself. If you do get the disks created successfully, all you need to do is number them as they are created and then follow the prompts you if and when you need to do the recovery process. Your computer will look like it did when you bought it after a successful run of the recovery disks.
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: Service Pack 3   Service Pack 3 - Page 2 Empty9/22/2011, 00:15

gotcha.
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: Service Pack 3   Service Pack 3 - Page 2 Empty9/23/2011, 00:40

I looked in my HP_Recovery (D:). There's quite a lot of stuff in there. Appears it could be daunting.

Just wondering if you've ever done a Recovery process such as this?
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

PostSubject: Re: Service Pack 3   Service Pack 3 - Page 2 Empty9/23/2011, 10:56

No, I have the Windows CD for XP and so have never used recovery disks. I did make the recovery DVDs for my Windows 7 laptop recently purchased, but will probably never use them as I routinely make a backup image of my system using Macrium Reflex ( a good, free disk image backup utility), which will restore my C:\ drive to the exact configuration of the last backup. I keep separate backups of all my data files and photos on an external drive, which I backup 3 times a week or more to ensure no data is ever lost.
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: Service Pack 3   Service Pack 3 - Page 2 Empty9/23/2011, 16:22

All the stuff that u said u do, went right over my head, I'm afraid.

1) I've been reading in my computer user guide manual about the recovery process, and all, reading about problem solving to see if there's anything in there taht might help me fix problem. I've got a name of a computer shop, I'm gonna contact about cost, etc.

2) I also saw HP SOFTWARE updates in >Start>all programs, & I was thinking, I've never updated any Drivers, or anything such as that, don't know much about this type of stuff, but, I wonder if something like that could fix my problem?

3) Also saw "PC Doctor in there. Do you know if that could be of help?

4) I keep getting offered new version of firefox, ver. 3.6.22, I think it is. I'm thinking of trying that. What do you think?

5) When you get offered new versions of any programs, browsers, java, etc. They all always say, "You need this update right now" for security, etc. So, how are you supposed to determine when and if you should update to the latest Version of any of this software?

So, I'm just grasping at straws at the moment.
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

PostSubject: Re: Service Pack 3   Service Pack 3 - Page 2 Empty9/23/2011, 16:59

WC, forget about doing any updates at this time. I've been doing some reading about hp computers, and it looks like you might be able do a recovery of windows without the recovery disks. I didn't know you could get to the recovery options without the recovery disks, but it looks like you can, and it looks like you can do a nondestructive recovery of windows (meaning your settings, favorites, data and programs remain as they are) without the recovery discs or with the recovery discs. I'd still make the discs, and make them now, just in case.

Here's one option of what you can do in a nutshell to try to get Windows XP stable again:

Recovery from Windows XP:
Use the following steps to recover the computer from the Windows XP desktop :

1.Backup files from the My Documents folder and from other folders you may have created.

2.Disconnect all connected devices (such as the Personal Media Drive, USB drives, printer, and fax), remove media from drives, and remove any recently added internal hardware. Do not disconnect the monitor, keyboard, mouse, and power cord.

3.From the Windows XP desktop, click Start , All Programs , and then one of the following options NOTE:The following options are for HP computers. Compaq computers will have similar options (for example, Compaq Tools):

â—¦HP Tools , and then HP PC System Recovery .
â—¦Hewlett-Packard , hp pavilion pc tools , and hp pc system recovery .
â—¦PC Help & Tools , and then HP PC System Recovery .

A recovery Welcome screen appears.

4.Click Yes or OK to continue the recovery process.

The computer restarts to the recovery program. If another welcome screen is displayed, click OK to continue.

5.Select one of the following procedures, depending on which recovery type you want to perform:

â—¦To perform a system recovery, click Next , and then click Yes
â—¦To perform a destructive recovery, click Advanced , (select Destructive Recovery ) and then click Next. Note: you don't want to do this option!

You want to do the system recovery, so click Next, and then click Yes

CAUTION: A destructive recovery will format the hard drive. This will delete all the information on the hard drive and reinstall Windows XP and the original software that came with the computer.
Note: you do not want to do this type of recovery. This would be done only if all else fails to get you back to what your system was the day you bought it. All your settings, programs and data will be gone.

6.Read and respond to each window and screen that appears.

7.After the System Recovery is complete, the computer restarts and continues into Windows setup. Complete the setup screens and wait until the PC finishes the setup.

NOTE:It may take a long time to complete Windows setup. This time varies and may take over several hours. Recovery times are most affected by using recovery discs that were ordered from HP and/or the amount of files that were stored in the user account folders (for example, My Documents and the Desktop).

8.Before using your computer after successful recovery, update and protect your computer.

The above are the steps for one recovery option that appears it might be on your computer - Recovering from Windows XP. The other options are: Recovering during Startup, and a Recovering using recovery discs.

Before you do anything, go here and carefully read:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=bph07145&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en#N81

and be sure you understand what to do before proceding. You will need to click the link that says "Show All" to uncover the steps in the 3 options given for recovery. If the option I gave you above is available on your computer, then do that one to see if it will stabilize your system. It will be the easiest one for you to do. This is the best shot you have at doing this yourself that I can see, without causing you too much grief. If the first 2 options aren't available, then do the Recovering using recovery discs. You can still do a standard (nondestructive) recovery from the discs.

If this is successful, and your system is stable again, then you can do your Windows updates, including the SP3 update. First, shut down your computer, reconnect your hardware, connect to the internet, start your computer and do a restore point. Make sure your antivirus is working, and that other things look normal, like your browsers and applications that you use. Then, do the updates.
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: Service Pack 3   Service Pack 3 - Page 2 Empty9/24/2011, 14:34

1) Windows XP desktop, would that be the desktop in my Owner account?

2) I would hate to have to do the destructive recovery, it said it would reinstall Win XP and the original software that came with the computer. I wonder if that would include thar "Wild Tangent" crap!?

3) I've got to see if I can make the recovery disks and I've got more reading to do. This is gonna take a while.

4) It wouldn't hurt anything to go to the Start>all programs>to look at the HP Recovery stuff that it mentions in the first option,
Recovery from Windows XP would it?
What I mean is, I don't want to get in there and get committed to begin the process, when I am not ready. I'm just wondering if I can look to see if it will work, or not? You think that's possible?
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

PostSubject: Re: Service Pack 3   Service Pack 3 - Page 2 Empty9/24/2011, 17:51

Yes, your computer is a desktop as opposed to a laptop. Yes, wildtangent would come back if you have to do a destructive recovery unless you are given the option of selecting which applications you want loaded during the recovery, but no big deal, you can remove it in the control panel (Add/Remove Programs).

You can go take a look to verify that the standard recovery option is available. But don't click "Next" in step 5 unless you are ready to proceed with the recovery. You should have the option to cancel up to the point where the actual recovery begins, but not having done it before, I can't say that with certainty. But, you don't need to be afraid of doing this - it should work fine. It would be equivalent to doing a repair install if you had the Windows CD.
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: Service Pack 3   Service Pack 3 - Page 2 Empty9/26/2011, 14:58

Is there a website where can I read about how to back up bookmarks, files, etc? It may be in manual, but, I haven't located it yet.
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

PostSubject: Re: Service Pack 3   Service Pack 3 - Page 2 Empty9/26/2011, 23:17

Take a look at Tut#29 in the tuturials:

https://geeksgeeksmoregeeks.forumotion.net/t1175-tut29-backing-up-favorites-bookmarks-and-data-files-and-folders

Here is a video tutorial on using the HP backup and Recovery system for making recovery disks and a backup image of your hard drive:

http://h30187.www3.hp.com/tutorials/viewHowTo/p/courseId/16609/HP_Backup_and_Recovery_Manager_schedule_backups.htm?sponsorId=24&hplcpsession.id=bd72d7722ce049a05622bb0b3513

Make the recovery disks now and after you do the standard recovey (or if necessary the destructive recovery) and you have a stable system with all Windows updates including SP3, then you can do a backup image of your hard drive.
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: Service Pack 3   Service Pack 3 - Page 2 Empty9/27/2011, 00:24

Repa,
Late this afternoon I contacted a repair shop that was recommended to me. They'll do the Wipe & Reload(Restore) for $90, and for another $30, a Back Up.

I would really like to do this for my own satisfaction. But, with my health problems, I'm not doing too well right now. And, it is no telling as to how long it would take me, if at all, to do all that is required for this Recovery. It just appears to be an overwhelming amount of stuff that you've posted to read & understand, plus what I've looked at in my HP users manual. My reading & understanding seems to take me longer. Plus, I'd need to print out all the instructions, whew! And, with all the reading & studying that this recovery will require, I just don't think I'm up to the task.

I really appreciate you trying to help me, but, for a $120, having the repair shop do it may be the way to go. I'm gonna think on for awhile.
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

PostSubject: Re: Service Pack 3   Service Pack 3 - Page 2 Empty9/27/2011, 12:14

That's fine WC, and probably the least stressful way for you, given your health problems. If you do decide to do the recovery process yourself, it's really pretty simple - you just follow what the install wizard tells you to do and the wizard does the rest.

The price you've been given seems a bit high to me for no more work than is actually involved - I'd get 2 more estimates and compare. You ought to check out Staples as well if there is one in your area. They run specials on computer maintenace and other services, and some of their services are sometimes pretty reasonable. Radio Shack might be another place to check.
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: Service Pack 3   Service Pack 3 - Page 2 Empty9/27/2011, 13:39

1) I was also thinking about another estimate. We only have about 3 repair shops listed in phone book. Small town.

2) You make it sound so easy, it makes me want to try it, I'd rather do it myself, but, I don't know. Is it possible for me to mess something up? But, if like you say if I follow the prompts.

3) Another thing, if I did it, wife & I, each have a limited account, then my Owner account. That's 3 accounts that would need a backup copy. They would need to be backed up separately, correct?
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

PostSubject: Re: Service Pack 3   Service Pack 3 - Page 2 Empty9/27/2011, 16:05

wcturner wrote:
1) I was also thinking about another estimate. We only have about 3 repair shops listed in phone book. Small town.

2) You make it sound so easy, it makes me want to try it, I'd rather do it myself, but, I don't know. Is it possible for me to mess something up? But, if like you say if I follow the prompts.

3) Another thing, if I did it, wife & I, each have a limited account, then my Owner account. That's 3 accounts that would need a backup copy. They would need to be backed up separately, correct?

The simple part is the recovery itself, after the backup is done, which is outlined in Tut#29. Yes, you'd have to backup the Favorites and Bookmarks for each account for each browser, and data files that are in your My Documents folder for each account. That's probably not so simple from your perspective, but you can do it if you put your mind to it - you'll have to decide how much stress over this you want to endure. You ought to be able to get all that done for $100 or less if you decide to go that route so you should check around first if that's what you decide to do. It doesn't hurt to try to negotiate a lower price after comparing 2 or 3 places, btw. Sometimes that will work. I just did that recently on getting some pictures professionally framed for our church after getting prices at several different locations - saved over a $160 by checking around and asking for a discount.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Service Pack 3   Service Pack 3 - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Service Pack 3
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Geeks, Geeks and More Geeks :: Windows Computer Help :: Computer Discussion-
Jump to: