Geeks, Geeks and More Geeks
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THIS FORUM IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. SORRY! DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REGISTER; YOUR REQUEST WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

OPXPApp.exe

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

Number of posts : 1165
Humor : Yes
Registration date : 2009-10-26

OPXPApp.exe Empty
PostSubject: OPXPApp.exe   OPXPApp.exe Empty3/19/2012, 00:32

Repa,
This thing made a return appearance when I logged on about an hour ago. I tried to find it in our posts from a few months ago, but, didn't find it. So, in the interest of saving time I thought I'd make a quick post.

I was thinking that you had told me before that if this opxpapp ever returned to just ignore it. That is probably the easiest thing for me anyway. Ignore is okay, right, or wrong?
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

Number of posts : 2378
Humor : Age: Older than Dirt!
Registration date : 2008-09-19

OPXPApp.exe Empty
PostSubject: Re: OPXPApp.exe   OPXPApp.exe Empty3/19/2012, 10:22

OPXPApp.exe is installed as part of the Softex OmniPass application. This is bundled as part of some laptops requiring biometric authentication technology. This is the main executable that scans the fingerprint of the User and compares it against the stored data and authenticates the User credentials. Since you have a desktop, it may act as the Password Manager if installed as a separate software that allows the user to set protection to drive, folder or file level. At most, it is an annoyance, as no one knows what causes it to create the error message, but it doesn't seem to affect anything else regarding the normal operation of your computer.

See if it is in Services, and if it is, Disable it. To do that:

1. click Start > Run > type services.msc in the text box and click Ok
2. In the Services window, look for Softex Omnipass or Softex or Omnipass and if you find it, double click on it to open a window. In that window, both Stop the service and Disable the service. Click ok to leave the window.

If you don't find a service for this, look and see if it is in msconfig and uncheck it: Start > Run > type msconfig and click ok. Open the Startup tab and uncheck the program, click ok, restart your computer and remember to check the box in the lower left of the little window that appears after reboot before you click ok to close it.

If you don't find it in msconfig, look and see if you find a folder for it in C:\Program Files\Omnipass (or C:\Program Files\Softex\OmniPass\). The program should be in this folder or a subfolder of this folder. If you do a search on the program name, Search will tell you what folder it is in. If you don't find a Softex OmniPass folder for it, it could be malware and we may have to go find it and disable it. There is a way to disable it without removing it until we are sure what it is, so let me know what you find.

Assuming it is a valid program, which it probably is, if it gets too annoying, I suppose you could uninstall the Softex OmniPass application from Add/Remove programs, but create a restore point before doing it. I don't think it is needed and your computer should run ok without it.

Back to top Go down

OPXPApp.exe
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Geeks, Geeks and More Geeks :: Windows Computer Help :: Computer Security-
Jump to: