Geeks, Geeks and More Geeks
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THIS FORUM IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. SORRY! DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REGISTER; YOUR REQUEST WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Computers and Phone Line

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

Number of posts : 1165
Humor : Yes
Registration date : 2009-10-26

Computers and Phone Line Empty
PostSubject: Computers and Phone Line   Computers and Phone Line Empty5/2/2012, 14:44

Repa,
I think in order to get a job with the AT&T monopoly you must assure them that you can lie to customers. I am in an ongoing battle with them about my bill. When I call them on the phone, then we agree on what my bill is going to be. When my bill arrives it is anywhere from $20 to $30 more than what the AT&T Rep. said it would be.

If AT&T is not willing to find a solution to my problem I plan to cancel all my services with them. But, first I've got a question for you.

1) With out a phone land line, will I not be able to use my desktop computer?

2) Can you tell me how the Laptop computers work, since they don't use a land line? At least I don't think they do.
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

Number of posts : 2378
Humor : Age: Older than Dirt!
Registration date : 2008-09-19

PostSubject: Re: Computers and Phone Line   Computers and Phone Line Empty5/4/2012, 18:17

WC, I've been out of town all week, just got back.

If your internet service is with AT&T, then yes, you need your phone line for ethernet or wireless service, regardless of whether you have a desktop or laptop. For DSL service, your modem (ethernet or wireless) has to connect to the phone land line. There are other services you could purchase, such as Time Warner Cable or Charter Cable, depending on what is available in your area. In that case, the ethernet or wireless modem connects to the cable ethernet line they provide for the service. If you have cell phones, your cell phone provider may have a usb modem that connects to a usb port on your computer (laptop or desktop) that you can use to get internet service without a land line. However, the amount of time you have is limited without the basic price going up. Charges vary depending on the amount of time and data you use up, just like using a cell phone, and a lot of reviews on units like this aren't the best. Here's a link you can check out to see what I'm talking about:

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/store/controller?item=phoneFirst&action=viewPhoneDetail&selectedPhoneId=5759

When I have problems getting satisfaction from a customer service representative, I ask to speak to a supervisor, who will usually get things straightened out. You might want to call AT&T and tell the customer service rep that you have a recurring problem you've called several times about with no resolution and ask to speak to a supervisor and tell that person the problems you've been having, how many times you've called, and what your inclination to do about their service is if that person can't help you get your problem resolved (being very calm and and polite while you are explaining the problem).
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

Number of posts : 1165
Humor : Yes
Registration date : 2009-10-26

PostSubject: Re: Computers and Phone Line   Computers and Phone Line Empty5/4/2012, 23:04

When I have problems getting satisfaction from a customer service representative, I ask to speak to a supervisor, who will usually get things straightened out. You might want to call AT&T and tell the customer service rep that you have a recurring problem you've called several times about with no resolution and ask to speak to a supervisor and tell that person the problems you've been having, how many times you've called, and what your inclination to do about their service is if that person can't help you get your problem resolved (being very calm and and polite while you are explaining the problem).

Sounds like you do the same thing that I do. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Computers and Phone Line   Computers and Phone Line Empty

Back to top Go down

Computers and Phone Line
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Geeks, Geeks and More Geeks :: Windows Computer Help :: Computer Discussion-
Jump to: