A friendly forum to get help and support

PortalPortal  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Malwarebytes Might Be Bad Temporarily

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

Number of posts : 2378
Humor : Age: Older than Dirt!
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Malwarebytes Might Be Bad Temporarily Empty
PostSubject: Malwarebytes Might Be Bad Temporarily   Malwarebytes Might Be Bad Temporarily Empty4/18/2013, 20:53

Fay put the following on Facebook:

"Don't know if any of you use MalwareBytes malware scanner, but one of the techs at work just sent us all a notice that experts think a recent update to it introduced a problem responsible for taking thousands of computer offline."

My advice is to not do any malware definition updates or program updates from Malwarebytes until I can check this out.

Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

Number of posts : 2378
Humor : Age: Older than Dirt!
Registration date : 2008-09-19

PostSubject: Re: Malwarebytes Might Be Bad Temporarily   Malwarebytes Might Be Bad Temporarily Empty4/18/2013, 21:30

This problem originated with the 15 April Definitions update (v2013.04.15.12) marking critical system files as Trojan Downloader and even a critical file required to run MBAM itself. The latest update (v2013.04.15.13) fixes this issue. Looks like it hosed a lot of computers in the short time before it was discovered, but should be ok now. If you're worried, wait a few more days before updating, but it should be ok now. You can read about this problem at the following 2 website addresses.

http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=125129

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Buggy-Malwarebytes-Definitions-Update-Disables-Thousands-of-Devices-Worldwide-346313.shtml

wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

Number of posts : 1165
Humor : Yes
Registration date : 2009-10-26

PostSubject: Re: Malwarebytes Might Be Bad Temporarily   Malwarebytes Might Be Bad Temporarily Empty5/16/2013, 14:55

Repa, I didn't even know about this until just now reading this. So, I was doing my regular updates as usual, and fortunately was never knocked offline, what a shock!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Malwarebytes Might Be Bad Temporarily   Malwarebytes Might Be Bad Temporarily Empty

Back to top Go down

Malwarebytes Might Be Bad Temporarily
Page 1 of 1