A friendly forum to get help and support

PortalPortal  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Patches For Windows Updates

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

Number of posts : 1158
Humor : Yes
Registration date : 2009-10-26

PostSubject: Patches For Windows Updates   5/15/2013, 00:28

Repa,
Do you know about these updates?

I've got 2 links, thats for a 2 part article. It pertains to IE 8 as well as other versions. Please check these out & tell me what you think?

1. I posted these links in reverse order because this one(part 2) is about IE 8 that we have, I guess you still have IE 8, don't you? Be sure you scroll down about middle way of the page. http://www.komando.com/tips/index.aspx?id=14490&utm_medium=nl&utm_source=alerts&utm_content=2013-05-14-article-in-body-a&page=2

2. This is part one link. http://www.komando.com/tips/index.aspx?id=14490&utm_medium=nl&utm_source=alerts&utm_content=2013-05-14-article-in-body-a
Back to top Go down
View user profile
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: Patches For Windows Updates   5/15/2013, 14:03

Repa,
1.Here's another link about the patch fix for IE 8.
http://www.komando.com/coolsites/index.aspx?id=14454
I didn't know there was a security concerning IE 8, did you?

2. I'm also going to post a screen shot of windows updates that I found. I forget to check for the monthly updates. I've been depending on the notice in my Task Tray, and evidently it has not been keeping me notified, since I manually clicked on "Check For Updates".

3. Please look at the updates in scr. shot. I plan on installing all the ones check marked. Can you tell me if that sounds correct? Since there's a chance this patch KB2829530 could cause trouble & have to be uninstalled, when would you recommend installing, all by itself, 1st, last, or with all the other updates?
Thanks...

4. Do we need this IE8 fix it? http://blogs.technet.com/b/srd/archive/2013/05/08/microsoft-quot-fix-it-quot-available-to-mitigate-internet-explorer-8-vulnerability.aspx
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Number of posts : 2372
Humor : Age: Older than Dirt!
Registration date : 2008-09-19

PostSubject: Re: Patches For Windows Updates   5/16/2013, 14:31

wcturner wrote:
3. Please look at the updates in scr. shot. I plan on installing all the ones check marked. Can you tell me if that sounds correct? Since there's a chance this patch KB2829530 could cause trouble & have to be uninstalled, when would you recommend installing, all by itself, 1st, last, or with all the other updates?
Thanks...

4. Do we need this IE8 fix it? http://blogs.technet.com/b/srd/archive/2013/05/08/microsoft-quot-fix-it-quot-available-to-mitigate-internet-explorer-8-vulnerability.aspx

The checked installs are fine and the ones for IE8 should contain that patch if it is legit. Do not use that fix-it link.

wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: Patches For Windows Updates   5/16/2013, 14:44

Thanks Repa. I thought you were on vacation, so I went ahead and installed some of the updates. I installed them a few at a time instead of all at once in case they might cause a problem. My thinking is it would be easier to maybe pinpoint the culprit if the computer began acting strange.

Here's a screenshot of the ones left to be installed, with IE 10 being the exception.

I would prefer to install these last 3 at the same time, to get them outta the way, but, I'm afraid of Murphy's law.
Now, do you think it best to install these last 3 updates all at once, or maybe 1 a day for the next 3 days, in case of a problem?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Number of posts : 2372
Humor : Age: Older than Dirt!
Registration date : 2008-09-19

PostSubject: Re: Patches For Windows Updates   5/17/2013, 22:52

You can install them all at the same time WC. I'll be on vacation next week. My grandson in AL is graduating from High School.

wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: Patches For Windows Updates   5/18/2013, 00:46

Thanks for the reply, Repa.

Congrats on your grandson's Milestone! I hope ya'll have safe trip & a nice time!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Patches For Windows Updates   

Back to top Go down

Patches For Windows Updates
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1