Geeks, Geeks and More Geeks
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THIS FORUM IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. SORRY! DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REGISTER; YOUR REQUEST WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Spybot Error

Go down 
3 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

Number of posts : 1165
Humor : Yes
Registration date : 2009-10-26

Spybot Error - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spybot Error   Spybot Error - Page 2 Empty6/13/2013, 16:34

I'll mention this now also.  It appears that since this webpage has completely downloaded, now I can post in the normal text box at the bottom of this thread.   Here comes 5 scr. shots of the second scan.

1.  Spybot Error - Page 2 2nd_sp10

2.  Spybot Error - Page 2 Spyb_210

3.  Spybot Error - Page 2 Spyb_211

4. Spybot Error - Page 2 Spy_2n10

5.   Spybot Error - Page 2 2nd_sc10

HTH= Hope this helps....

Pleas scroll back up this thread, and see if you have seen all the posts I madeback up past Fay's post , maybe 2-3 above.   I don't think u have seen all of them.Thanks.......
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

Number of posts : 2378
Humor : Age: Older than Dirt!
Registration date : 2008-09-19

PostSubject: Re: Spybot Error   Spybot Error - Page 2 Empty6/13/2013, 19:47

WC, I can't make much of those scans because I can't see enough of the Registry values, but they look like tracking cookies. You should always run ccleaner before doing scans with the malware and antivirus applications. That would prevent unnecessary detections of tracking cookies in the malware scanners. I'm not going to have time to look at this for about a week and a half, and this spybot does not look like an improvement over the older version. Fay's comments make me think it would be best for you to uninstall this one, delete the folder in program files, and reinstall the old spybot.
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: Spybot Error   Spybot Error - Page 2 Empty6/13/2013, 23:08

would be best for you to uninstall this one, delete the folder in program files, and reinstall the old spybot.  

I think so too.  thanks...
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: Spybot Error   Spybot Error - Page 2 Empty6/13/2013, 23:25

Repa, There's 2 spybot folders in C:\\ programfiles  I made screen shots.   The 1st. folder in the list doesn't have much in it, but the 2nd one has lots in it.  Do I delete both folders?

1. Spybot Error - Page 2 Spybot20

2.  Spybot Error - Page 2 Top_fo10

3.  Spybot Error - Page 2 2nd_sp10
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

PostSubject: Re: Spybot Error   Spybot Error - Page 2 Empty6/14/2013, 13:18

If you intend to reinstall the old version, uninstall the present version and then delete all spybot folders you find in C:\Program Files and or C:\Program Files (x86)
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: Spybot Error   Spybot Error - Page 2 Empty6/14/2013, 19:43

I just finished the uninstall of new spybot version 2.1 & deleted the 1 folder that remained....then I came here to check the download speed compared to befored I installed the new 2.1 ver....the difference is like night & day...this site just did a fast download just like it was doing before I installed the new version....great!

I can't seem to locate the site you gave me sometime back that checks your computer upload & download speeds....can u supply me with that site again, please?..... Thanks
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

PostSubject: Re: Spybot Error   Spybot Error - Page 2 Empty6/14/2013, 20:20

Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: Spybot Error   Spybot Error - Page 2 Empty6/15/2013, 00:01

Repa Thanks!....

Please check thee 3 pics & tell me if I did the correct options?

1.  Spybot Error - Page 2 Spybot21    Should I have checked any of these boxes?

2.  Spybot Error - Page 2 Sd_ins10    Same question?   Should I have checked any of these boxes? 
3.  Spybot Error - Page 2 Sd_upd10    I installed all the updates shown, except Teatimer, including the 2 at the bottom, listed under "Other Files".  Was that correct?

4.  Then I ran a scan that said No Threats Found.    This time it only took about 20 minutes, just as it did before I had uninstalled it.   So far I'm well pleased to have this old 1.6.2 version back!

Thanks.....

What happened to the speed test that used to be on the webpage when you arrived at DSLReports, I couldn't find it?  Thanks..
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

PostSubject: Re: Spybot Error   Spybot Error - Page 2 Empty6/15/2013, 01:56

You should enable  Internet Explorer Protection - SDHelper within the program since you didn't select it while doing the install. Resident SDHelper is a second layer of protection for Internet Explorer. The immunize function blocks installers by their ActiveX ID, whereas SDHelper blocks badware that tries to enter using a different method. Thus Internet Explorer cannot download bad files. You start SDHelper by selecting Mode on the menu bar, then click Advanced mode and select Yes in the warning popup window that appears. In the left column, click on Tools > Resident. There you can tick the checkbox next to Resident “SDHelper” active in order to activate SDHelper. Leave the check box next to Teatimer unchecked.

Click Tools on the menu bar to get to the speedtests at dslreports.
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: Spybot Error   Spybot Error - Page 2 Empty6/15/2013, 12:46

I checked Internet Explorer Protection - SDHelper box at first but then unchecked it...I thought i had seen that before....
I'll see if I can get that  SDHelper  box checked....Thanks....
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: Spybot Error   Spybot Error - Page 2 Empty6/15/2013, 13:59

Repa, I got that Resident SD Helper active box check marked now.    When I finished, under Mode in menu bar, I left Advanced mode check marked, was that Correct?  . Thanks.... 
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

PostSubject: Re: Spybot Error   Spybot Error - Page 2 Empty6/15/2013, 17:18

Yes, it needs to stay in Advanced Mode for SDHelper to work from what I have read before.
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: Spybot Error   Spybot Error - Page 2 Empty6/15/2013, 18:45

1.  Click Tools on the menu bar to get to the speedtests at dslreports.
The first test I did was "Flash" the top one, & got a Download Speed of 5514 KBs, Upload was 421 KB.   Next highest was 3rd. one on list, Download 5319KB Upload 424KB.   Some what better than when I was trying to download the new spybot app. the other day, don't you think?

2.  This page sure acts funny before it fully downloads!   Probably just my machine.   It slowly scrolls left to right, the message text that I'm writing in now starts closing together so tight you can not write in it.    Do you know why it does all that?
Thanks....
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

PostSubject: Re: Spybot Error   Spybot Error - Page 2 Empty6/15/2013, 19:12

wcturner wrote:
1.  Click Tools on the menu bar to get to the speedtests at dslreports.
The first test I did was "Flash" the top one, & got a Download Speed of 5514 KBs, Upload was 421 KB.   Next highest was 3rd. one on list, Download 5319KB Upload 424KB.   Some what better than when I was trying to download the new spybot app. the other day, don't you think?

2.  This page sure acts funny before it fully downloads!   Probably just my machine.   It slowly scrolls left to right, the message text that I'm writing in now starts closing together so tight you can not write in it.    Do you know why it does all that?
Thanks....
 No, something has changed. Forumotion must have made some upgrades as this reply box looks very different than when I last posted. But I am not experiencing the problem you expressed. You've mentioned similar things before with your other computer, if I remember right. Probably just because you live in Kentucky (lol)!
Back to top Go down
fay47
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
fay47

Number of posts : 1480
Registration date : 2008-10-17
Mood : none

PostSubject: Re: Spybot Error   Spybot Error - Page 2 Empty6/16/2013, 20:33

I decided to go back to the old version also.  Right now just don't have the energy to play with the new one and figure it out.
Repa,  if you do install the new one at some point, would like to know what you think about it.

Fay
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

PostSubject: Re: Spybot Error   Spybot Error - Page 2 Empty6/16/2013, 23:19

I probably won't install it until my current version of Spybot will no longer do the definition updates because of format or compatability changes and I have to update the software to get them.
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: Spybot Error   Spybot Error - Page 2 Empty6/17/2013, 00:10

Probably just because you live in Kentucky (lol)!  That's probably it! ;^) I don't like it, do u?

I'm, now reminded of a question I need to ask regarding installing new versions of Apps, be it antivirus, browsers, or anything.   Til just recently, I always thought I NEEDED to install the latest version, of 'whatever".   The reason being is I assumed that if I didn't have the latest version that I would be susceptible to the latest viruses because I would not be up to date with the latest "Updates" to prevent the bad guys from infecting me.   My thoughts were how could my computer be protected without the newest version, with all of it's added, latest virus definitions.  Hope I stated the question properly so as to be understood.?    So, Repa, I guess I am all wrong with that kind of thinking, correct & why?   (I don't know where this large text came from)

I came right back to EDIT this 2 seconds after posting the question:  When I clicked "Send" & this posted, half of  the text above was extra large, & returned to the size u see in the post now?   Kentucky Murphy
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

PostSubject: Re: Spybot Error   Spybot Error - Page 2 Empty6/18/2013, 21:46

As long as you can get the latest definition updates for your virus and malware scanners without error, you are fine with the older version. Software updates aren't always an improvement (remember Adaware?) and that seems to be the case with Spybot. Not sure about Avast, and since my old version is working fine, I'm hesitant to update that one also - sometimes the changes in the software are inefficient, cause your computer to slow down, and contain no net improvement in malware detection. You have to google them and read the reviews to see what others are saying about them - pro and con.
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: Spybot Error   Spybot Error - Page 2 Empty6/18/2013, 23:55

glad to know that now.....

1.  To be sure I'm absolutely clear about this,  you also don't install a new version of something,  say like "Flash" Player either, if the old one is doing the job for you, correct?

2.  Spybot Error - Page 2 Sd_ins11     In this screenshot of the spybot installation, I tried to "Create the Registry backup" as suggested in the picture, I'm not sure if it did the backup though, but my question is, "Was that the correct option" to backup the registry, or just click "Next"?
Thanks.......
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

PostSubject: Re: Spybot Error   Spybot Error - Page 2 Empty6/19/2013, 10:47

wcturner wrote:
glad to know that now.....

1.  To be sure I'm absolutely clear about this,  you also don't install a new version of something,  say like "Flash" Player either, if the old one is doing the job for you, correct?

No, Flash needs to be updated periodically to keep up with changes in website design and languages. I'm talking about the scanners only. If you remember, Adaware had realtime protection and became such a resource hog that it wasn't worth having. Spybot for years made improvements to their software and suddenly there is a change in design and performance. It has the SDHelper which is browser realtime protection as well, in addition to the passive protection provided by the Immunization function. The new version seems confusing, affects your computer according to you in ways you don't want, and therefore is not desirable over the older version. Same thing appears to have happened with Avast. Fay, have you installed the new version (version 8 ) of Avast and if so, are you experiencing any problems or difficulty with using it? Spywareblaster and SuperAntiSpyware are used as scanners only and therefore do not affect the normal everyday performance of your computer, and so the software may be updated when available and kept unless you notice undesirable behavior or excessive scan times after installing the new version. WC, you just need to go by what you observe in changes after updating the software for your scanners, and decide if it helps or hinders you and the performance of your computer, and act accordingly.

2.  Spybot Error - Page 2 Sd_ins11     In this screenshot of the spybot installation, I tried to "Create the Registry backup" as suggested in the picture, I'm not sure if it did the backup though, but my question is, "Was that the correct option" to backup the registry, or just click "Next"?
Thanks.......

You don't need to use that but it doesn't hurt anything if you do. Do you know where the backup file goes and what to do with it if needed? For you, if your scanner finds malware, create a new Restore point before removing any malware found, or better yet, create a new restore point before scanning and then a most recent registry backup will be there if you need it. That way, you will have a backup of your registry that you know how to use should something get deleted that shouldn't have been, and can be recovered by doing a System Restore, which you know how to do.
Back to top Go down
fay47
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
fay47

Number of posts : 1480
Registration date : 2008-10-17
Mood : none

PostSubject: Re: Spybot Error   Spybot Error - Page 2 Empty6/19/2013, 12:39

SPYBOT -   I did not have  the types of problems wc did.   I just really did not like it.  Right now just do not have the energy to mess with  figuring it out. Did not have it very long, but seemed really confusing.  Sometimes I wonder why companies can't leave a good thing alone ( well not entirely alone but no need to make such large design changes).  Sometimes "new and improved"  is not always better -  ask coca cola.  LOL  
I have not read reviews on the new version so do not know what other people think of it.
Maybe I am just old and set it my ways.

AVAST -  yes  I have the new version.  Have not really noticed any problems.  Have not really messed with the settings a lot.  Don't really know as much about it as I should. 
It does have a software updater - you may not like - but it can be turned off.

Fay
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: Spybot Error   Spybot Error - Page 2 Empty6/19/2013, 12:45

Do you know where the backup file goes and what to do with it if needed?   No I thought you did.?     I just assumed that you did the backup when prompted when installing Spybot.?
Thanks......
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

PostSubject: Re: Spybot Error   Spybot Error - Page 2 Empty6/20/2013, 18:44

Of course I know WC, just asking if you did. Keep it simple and stick with the things you know how to do - set a restore point when you begin your scans, and if you have to remove any malware and something doesn't go right, you will have a registry backup that you know where it is and how to get to it. That is what I do, btw. I don't backup the registry from Spybot.
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: Spybot Error   Spybot Error - Page 2 Empty6/20/2013, 23:44

Well, I knew you were supposed to know, & I did not.....I still have trouble remembering the restore points.....Thanks for the reminder!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Spybot Error   Spybot Error - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Spybot Error
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2