Geeks, Geeks and More Geeks
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THIS FORUM IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. SORRY! DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REGISTER; YOUR REQUEST WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

winxp

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
fay47
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
fay47

Number of posts : 1480
Registration date : 2008-10-17
Mood : none

winxp Empty
PostSubject: winxp   winxp Empty12/12/2013, 18:06

Repa,

Do you still have an  XP computer?  Have you had a problem with updates.
Started having major problems with my laptop (my old work machine)  -svchost.exe would be taking 99 percent cpu and not allow me to do anything.  Some research pointed to  Microsoft  update.
I may be able to avoid the problem my turning off windows updates and using firefox as my browser.

But that got me to thinking -  I believe all xp updates including security updates will end in April.  Not sure how safe it will be to use XP after that and not sure I will even be able to get the updates between now and then.  Trying to check for updates on the laptop and it has been running for an hour checking for updates.

Wondering if you have this problem.
What suggestions do you have for handling that problem -or for what to do after April.  Do you think it will be safe to go online with XP when there will not be any security patches?
Not sure if the computer will run win 7 - or how much it would cost to upgrade and  not sure I want to pay for it.

Do not knot if  Linux (ubantu) might be a solution - really do not know anything about it. Tried to look at it just a bit - think it may take more energy than I have - may have to trash the 2 computers Sad

What are your thoughts?

Fay

Fay
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

Number of posts : 2378
Humor : Age: Older than Dirt!
Registration date : 2008-09-19

winxp Empty
PostSubject: Re: winxp   winxp Empty12/13/2013, 02:48

Go to: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-US/security/dn481339

You need to download and manually install the latest cumulative security updates for IE8. Scroll down to Search by Product or Component, and in the table below that section, look for Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer in the date range from November 1st thru today’s date. Click on Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer next to the number 2888505. This link will take you to another table with the various IE browsers. Look for and click on Internet Explorer 8 (2888505) for the version of Windows XP that you have to download and manually install this update (unless already installed – check in Add/Remove Programs) on your XP machine.. Then go back to the above link and repeat for number 2898785. Now you should be able to click on Windows/Microsoft Updates, and get all the remaining updates to download and install as usual.

Also, make sure that Automatic Update Service in Services is Started and set to Automatic, and Background Intelligent Service (BITS) is Started and set to Manual or Automatic.

If push comes to shove, you can always download and manually install the updates. Take a look here:  http://technet.microsoft.com/en-US/security/dn481339

After April 2014, XP will become more vulnerable and should not be used for banking and online transactions. It is not clear to me yet whether they will continue support for Windows Defender malware definition updates and Windows Security Essentials anti-virus definition updates. Since you have Avast, you are ok there, but may want to look for a replacement for Windows Defender. I will be looking for a free one, but doubt a free one exists, or if it does, need to be cautious and research it thoroughly before downloading and using. .

Linux would be a very inexpensive alternative to Windows (like free), but I don’t know which version to get or how many of your applications will run with it.

I suggest a cheap Windows 7 machine like a Compaq or Acer. Their quality has improved in the last several years. You should be able to find an adequate system for less than $300.
Back to top Go down
fay47
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
fay47

winxp Empty
PostSubject: Re: winxp   winxp Empty12/13/2013, 17:59

Repa,

I think everything is finally updated and hopefully the update problem is solved for at least now.

DO not know what I want to do come April
The computer I am on now is my main computer and is Win 7 so will be ok there.
I kept my old desktop XP computer as a backup and the company I worked for allowed me to keep the xp laptop. Both are working ok but do not think I really want to put money into either .
Also do not think I have the energy to spend learning Linux right now.

So are you going to continue to use your xp compter(s)?

If I can not securely use them to do things like check my bank account and pay bills , not sure they would be much use as a backup computer. What about logging into e-mail -would my password be at risk?

Seems a shame to have to toss them because Microsoft will no longer put out security patches for XP. Maybe I will just put them away someplace and maybe later if I fill up to it use them to play around with Linux. Do not know.

And maybe I will look for cheap laptop to keep around as backup.

Fay

Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

Number of posts : 2378
Humor : Age: Older than Dirt!
Registration date : 2008-09-19

winxp Empty
PostSubject: Re: winxp   winxp Empty12/13/2013, 21:25

I have 2 xp machines that I rarely use anymore. I use them as backup for photos and documents. I will probably keep them until they no longer work, but won't be on the internet with them much. I would not use the XP machines after April for any online banking or other types of transactions. Email, probably ok if you logon to their server instead of using outlook.
Back to top Go down
fay47
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
fay47

winxp Empty
PostSubject: Re: winxp   winxp Empty12/13/2013, 22:36

Repa,

Just hate it that 2 perfectly good computers will be basically worthless to me - because of non support for xp. But they are both old enough they could crater at anytime so do not want to be out any money on them. Just frustrating grrrrrrrrr

Thanks for you input.

Fay
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

winxp Empty
PostSubject: Re: winxp   winxp Empty

Back to top Go down

winxp
Page 1 of 1