Geeks, Geeks and More Geeks
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THIS FORUM IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. SORRY! DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REGISTER; YOUR REQUEST WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Spybot V.1.6

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

Number of posts : 1165
Humor : Yes
Registration date : 2009-10-26

Spybot V.1.6 Empty
PostSubject: Spybot V.1.6   Spybot V.1.6 Empty8/13/2014, 16:49

Hey Repa...I opened Spybot today & got a popup saying that I was using V. 1.6 or earlier Ver. and it recommended that I go to the website and get Spybot Ver. 2.1.....

1. Which Version are you using now?

2. Have you received a notice like this from Spybot recently?

3. I'm a little reluctant to change Spybot versions......?

4. A couple of weeks ago, Malwarebytes told me they had a newer version out, & not thinking, I went for the update, instead of keeping it like I normally do....but, it seems to be pretty good & thorough, & no problems, so far.....which is surprising......

5. It appears that all these free Apps are wanting to drop the older versions these days, aren't they....??

Thanks......
Back to top Go down
fay47
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
fay47

Number of posts : 1480
Registration date : 2008-10-17
Mood : none

Spybot V.1.6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spybot V.1.6   Spybot V.1.6 Empty8/14/2014, 18:37

WC,

I have VERSION 1.6. and do not get that popup. But I noticed when I do the update,
one of the Important Files says "Inform about Spybot 2". It is checked by default.
I happened to notice it and unchecked, but it looks like it show up every time you update.
I do not know if that is what causing the message you get or not.
But as I said, I unchecked it and do not get that notice, but I will probably forget at one time or another.
Also I do not know if you can get rid of it once it is there. maybe Repa will know that.
Fay
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

Number of posts : 2378
Humor : Age: Older than Dirt!
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Spybot V.1.6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spybot V.1.6   Spybot V.1.6 Empty8/15/2014, 22:52

I use both versions, 1.6 and 2.3 (directed it to be installed in a different directory) and have loaded 2.4 on my nephew's Asus computer with Windows 8.1 (which I don't like - not well organized at all in my opinion and a pain to navigate). The updates seem to supply the same data in all 3 versions (except for teatimer - I don't see that in the newer versions). I like the appearance and the tool set you get in the newer versions. The notice is apparently there to encourage you to update to the newer version. I don't get the popup you are talking about. The scan results of the new version are very confusing. I get results that don't exist in 1.6 and don't know what to make of them. I would not change yet, as you will be totally confused by the new version if it finds anything that it thinks is a threat. I need to look into the results more - it produces registry changes as low threats and I'm not sure until I do some research what that actually means.
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

Spybot V.1.6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spybot V.1.6   Spybot V.1.6 Empty8/16/2014, 01:04

Repa, thanks for the reply.

On my last update this was included in it "Inform about Spybot 2", but unlike Fay, I guess I went brain dead momentarilly, & I failed to uncheck the box or try to find out what it was before downloading the updates....so I'm pretty sure I did get it....I went back in Spybot later to try to find where recent updates might be located, but, of course I did not find anything, or even know where to look in the first place....

Spybot is very confusing to me anyway!.

1.  How bad of a mistake was it for me to download "Inform about Spybot 2" update????

EDIT: I forgot to mention that unlike Fay, I've never seen "Inform about Spybot 2" listed in my updates before?.....
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

Number of posts : 2378
Humor : Age: Older than Dirt!
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Spybot V.1.6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spybot V.1.6   Spybot V.1.6 Empty8/16/2014, 09:38

I saw that in my recent update of 1.6 and unchecked it. Can't hurt anything.
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

Spybot V.1.6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spybot V.1.6   Spybot V.1.6 Empty8/17/2014, 00:50

that's good to know, thanks.........
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content