A friendly forum to get help and support

PortalPortal  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Avast SecureLine Disconnected

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Number of posts : 2372
Humor : Age: Older than Dirt!
Registration date : 2008-09-19

PostSubject: Re: Avast SecureLine Disconnected   11/25/2015, 11:57

Yes.

Hopefully doing the sfc command will find files that need replacing and fix your Restore operation. This is very easy to do - type the command and go get some coffee and do something else while you wait for it to finish. There will be a message on the command prompt screen when it is done that will tell you if it found anything and if files were replaced. It's easy! Tut#36 will very noticeably speed up your computer, but will take some time to do - and it will be well worth it!

wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

Number of posts : 1158
Humor : Yes
Registration date : 2009-10-26

PostSubject: Re: Avast SecureLine Disconnected   11/25/2015, 14:14

It's easy!for you to say..
Tut#36 will very noticeably speed up your computer, but will take some time to do - it will take me a lot longer than for you

and it will be well worth it! I sure hope so!

I'll keep u informed
thanks
Back to top Go down
View user profile
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: Avast SecureLine Disconnected   11/25/2015, 16:37

Repa, I tried the sfc/scannow, but after clicking Enter, nothing happened(as I don't know what to expect) but, it said I would have to be Administrator to do this(or words to that effect)I didn't see that coming & u didn't mention it & I don't know about this stuff & u know,..so what to do?......How do I get into changing to Admin, not sure I can remember?

Last edited by wcturner on 11/25/2015, 20:02; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Avast SecureLine Disconnected   11/25/2015, 20:01

Were you in the owner account or a guest account? If that happened in your owner account, then be sure you are in the owner account now and do the following: Click Start > All Programs > Accessories. Under Accessories, you will see "Command Prompt". Right click on it and select "Run as Administrator". The command prompt will appear. At the flashing cursor, type sfc /scannow and press enter. Make sure there is a space between sfc and /scannow. This will get you going.

wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: Avast SecureLine Disconnected   11/25/2015, 20:07

Edit: OK, I get it now...after I posted the below reply, I decided that ur last directions sounded like it would get me into Admin Acct....I did part way& stopped to come edit this message...now i'll go back and complete instructions...then reply to thread when finished...thanks

Were you in the owner account or a guest account?  No I'm never in the owner account when surfing the internet...I've not been in the Owner account in years....

So, do I get in the owner account now as u said above?...Can you refresh my memory on how to get there into owner acct?thanks
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Avast SecureLine Disconnected   11/25/2015, 23:05

The owner account is the one you established when you first got your computer and turned it on, whatever you named it. It is an Administrator account, but not THE Administrator. You can check this by going to the Control Panel > User Accounts and you will see if the account you are in is an administrator account or not. Just follow the last directions I gave you and it will be fine.

wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: Avast SecureLine Disconnected   11/25/2015, 23:16

Repa,
I just finished the scannow & it took about 30 minutes, I was expecting longer...look at this screen shot and see if it ran as long as it should have...I kept trying to get it to scan some more but did not know how...see if this scr shot tells u anything???

Did it run correctly?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Avast SecureLine Disconnected   11/25/2015, 23:31

It's fine - didn't find any missing or corrupt windows files. I don't know what is wrong with Restore, but it seems to always be a problem. Now do tut#36 if you want to really speed up your computer. If you find the instructions for compressing files too demanding, at least do the defrag with Auslogics defragger and run the Defrag and optimize option on your C drive.

wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: Avast SecureLine Disconnected   11/25/2015, 23:40

Repa said: at least do the defrag with Auslogics defragger and run the Defrag and optimize option on your C drive. Can you tell me if there's any surprises in doing this? or do I just open defrag & click the C drive....I usually just let the computer do the defragging, but I've thought about doing it myself recently...so please be sure if there's anything else I need to know about doing this...as I probably can't in touch with you because of the holiday if needed?

Thanks & Hope ya'll have a nice Thanksgiving, we've got a lot to be Thankful For in spite of A world in chaos!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Avast SecureLine Disconnected   11/25/2015, 23:55

No surprises. Use the Auslogics defragger, not the one that came with Windows. It's really well worth your time to do the entire Tut#36, as compressing all the files on the c drive makes a big difference and gets a lot of space back as well. I'm just suggesting doing only the Auslogics defrag as a quick and easy last resort - it is the last thing you do after compressing the files on the c drive in the tut. The instructions are pretty clear.

You and yours have a wonderful Thanksgiving. We will be with family from about 11am tomorrow in Pilot Mountain.

wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: Avast SecureLine Disconnected   11/26/2015, 01:43

I plan on doing the entire Tut#36....it's just that you kinda spooked me when you said "If you find the instructions for compressing files too demanding".... for me, that's a red flag right off the bat!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: Avast SecureLine Disconnected   11/27/2015, 01:36

Repa,
1. I just downloaded & Installed Auslogics DiskDefrag , & on my desktop got 2 Icons, one for Auslogics DiskDefrag & the other is for Auslogics Boostspeed 8.....?what's that all about?...I did not download that...was that supposed to happen?....

2. I clicked on the Auslogics Boostspeed 8 just to try to see what it is...& their icon popped up in the task bar tray & when I hovered mouse on it says "Scan Required".....do you have this?

3. And, Auslogics DiskDefrag brought up a defrag type display & said ready to defrag......I haven't even had a chance to do the compressing stuff yet....so I just clicked it off the screen...

Always something extraordinary happens when I try something NEW???
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Avast SecureLine Disconnected   11/27/2015, 11:37

You didn't pay attention during the install. Boostspeed had to be an option that you could accept or reject unless auslogics has gone rogue and is piggy backing stuff without our knowledge. Go to programs and features and uninstall it. To my knowledge, what you got was a free trial of Boostspeed and will have to purchase it to keep using it. Sometimes programs are set to run on completion of the install may be why you got the Auslogics Diskdefrag screen.

wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: Avast SecureLine Disconnected   11/27/2015, 13:51

when I hovered mouse on icon in task tray it showed 1612 junk things that needed removing or attention & 112 something else I forget what it said, but I was tempted to let it remove them since it was installed , but was afraid it would cause more problems than it repaired....? would it have been ok to use it before I uninstalled it?

But, it's uninstalled now....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Avast SecureLine Disconnected   11/27/2015, 16:20

I don't know much about that program WC, and I use Ccleaner to do that. Boostspeed removes registry items and files as well, plus other stuff, and not being familiar with it, cannot say what could happen. I found Boostspeed on a messed up computer that belonged to a friend, and I removed it. It may be perfectly safe, but I haven't investigated it, so cannot say. Ccleaner is safe for removing unneeded and temporary files, and has a safe registry cleaner, and that is what I use for those tasks. In fact, you should run ccleaner before doing tut#36.

wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: Avast SecureLine Disconnected   11/27/2015, 17:49

1.  I run Ccleaner religiously...right after each computer session, even after only a 2 min stint.

2.  You didn't pay attention during the install. ya know, I failed to see the Boostspeed  reference during the install but, I did see & I declined the "Ad-Aware Web Companion".

3.  I'll start Tut#36 when time permits.....I assume you have to do it all at one time, rather than some of it here & there, right?

4. I guess I'll find out when I get into it later, but, do I just click the Auslogics DiskDefrag desktop Icon when I want to do the Defrag, correct?

5.  I've forgotten to check this month's Win Updates & am 15 behind again...just wonder if you ever found out why Microsoft stopped notifying us?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Avast SecureLine Disconnected   11/27/2015, 20:59

3. no, it is in steps, and you can do each step as time permits until they are all completed, then run auslogics defrag using the "defrag and optimize" option. Some of the steps will take a while to complete, so don't get impatient or start worrying that something is wrong. Go get some coffee and do something else for a while and come back to it later.

4. In Auslogics, on the menu bar, select Settings > Program Settings. Under the General tab, uncheck all the boxes. You don't want it to be taking up resources or showing its icon in the system tray, not that it's bad, but because it's using system resources. Just use the desktop icon to start it when you want to use it.

5. No, I haven't done a windows update since Sept and probably won't until I figure out what is going on that is affecting my computer after an update. I have removed a number of updates in order to get it working like it should, but still have not found out why I have to login to my NAS after every reboot. I didn't have that problem until I did the Sept update.

wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: Avast SecureLine Disconnected   11/28/2015, 00:42

I'll let u know how it works out...

thanks...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: Avast SecureLine Disconnected   11/29/2015, 12:22

Got some questions....
1. Is it required that one must Compress files and directories & follow the outline directions on the "How Do I Defrag My Computer" at the Auslogics website each time one wants to do the Auslogics defrag?

2. Is it possible to have the Auslogics defrag site open and refer to the outline each time I want to defrag or will I need to print out the instructions for their defrag?

3. When beginning the defrag the command box is the box that has the blinking cursor after you click > Start>...Correct?

4. I'm just trying to prevent problems before hand so when I do the actual defrag process I don't have any unsuspected delays.

5. Any more hints to prevent problems will be appreciated?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Avast SecureLine Disconnected   11/29/2015, 13:11

1. No. You will need to compress the files once or twice a year only, depending on how your computer is running. Run Auslogics defrag in the defrag and optimize mode no less than once a month, preferably once a week.

2. You should probably print the instructions as it will be easier for you to follow, but that is your choice. I printed the instructions. You do not need to refer to the outline to defrag - just when compressing files once or twice a year.

3. You only use the command prompt to compress the files on your C drive. Use the desktop icon to run auslogics defrag after you compress the files, and then routinely run auslogics defrag and optimize once a week or at least once a month using the desktop icon.

wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: Avast SecureLine Disconnected   11/29/2015, 19:14

OK Repa,
1. I was attempting to begin Compression, & then noticed "Before you open the Command Prompt, make sure that you are logged in as administrator"...I tried the Accessories in All Programs, but that won't work for this, & I looked in Control Panel & found "User Accounts", & found my Administrator Account as the only one in there now, as you had told me a long time ago about changing it like that....& I had forgotten that....so not sure what to do...I went back to Start>Command Box & thought I'd try a few of the steps & see what happened...I typed cmd in the box> and pressed Ctrl+Shift+Enter....next the small Black box opened up(I guess it's the command box?) & I looked it over good,& here's why I stopped there & came here to post....First let me show you the screen shot of the black box...I expanded it to show better....

3. If you'll notice at the top of the shot it says "Administrator": C:\windows\system\32\cmd.exe.......but what I'm wondering is how it says "Administrator" when I did not do anything to run it as "Administrator".....unless I was still in "Administrator" from when I went thru Accessories in All Programs...now that I think about it that had to be what happened ...because I had not close my session out or done anything to cancel things out...could that be it, could that be what happened???

4.Also, that being the case, that's the only way I know how to login as "Administrator", Before I open the Command Prompt, if that is what happened?? I don't know?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Avast SecureLine Disconnected   11/29/2015, 19:35

Unless you are in a Guest account, you are in an Administrator account, but not THE Administrator Account. The black screen is the Command prompt screen. That is how it will always appear unless you are in a Guest account or an account you created that is not defined as an administrator account. You don't have to login as an Administrator to do the compression commands as you are already in an administrator account. Just continue in that screen with the instructions for each command as given in the instructions. If you want to be sure, you can open the command prompt screen by clicking Start>All Programs>Accessories. Then right-click on Command Prompt and select Run as Administrator and follow the instructions for issuing each command.

It may not be obvious to you that in the command: compact /c /s /i , there is a space between compact and /c, a space between /c and /s, and a space between /s and /i.

wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: Avast SecureLine Disconnected   12/2/2015, 00:45

I tried posting earlier & kept timing out if I only typed one word.
Let's see if this works?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: Avast SecureLine Disconnected   12/2/2015, 01:14

Repa,

1.  I just moments ago realized I never did run the install App for the Disk-Defrag Setup, that maybe part of my problem?

2. Several hours ago, I tried the first 3 steps of the compression & that only took 10 minutes.....Then I began #4:  When that’s done, do the same for Program Files by typing CD \Program Files, pressing Enter (CD \Program Files (x86) for 64-bit systems)...

3. Was I supposed to type all this: 4. typing CD \Program Files, pressing Enter (CD \Program Files (x86) for 64-bit systems)??       I was unsure, cause I had typed CD \Program Files, pressing Enter, that's when I first saw about 64-bit systems, & I tried to back up & delete so I could type (CD \Program Files (x86) for 64-bit systems...well I could not go back & delete, so I made a screen shot to show you where I stopped, & for you tell me where I am wrong?

4.  If I could I think I need to restore back & start over, but I can't do a Restore...I think I need to throw this computer in a dumpster...Is there a way to cancel what I've done?   anyway, here's my screenshot:

6. Hope you can help me?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Avast SecureLine Disconnected   12/2/2015, 01:36

1. I don't know what you mean. You said earlier that you "downloaded & Installed Auslogics DiskDefrag , & on my desktop got 2 Icons, one for Auslogics DiskDefrag & the other is for Auslogics Boostspeed 8." So are the 2 Icons the result of just the download from auslogics or what? Did you install diskdefrag or didn't you? You don't need to run this until all the files are compressed.

3. You have 2 sets of program files on a 64 bit system. The 64 bit programs are in the folder Program Files. The 32 bit programs are in Program Files (X86). You have to do both. Just follow the directions given. You can't screw anything up even if you try. All you are doing is compressing files. Also, the order you do them is not important except for doing the defrag and optimize after all files have been compressed. In your screen shot above, last line, all you had to do was type in the compact command and let it finish, then do the cd \Program Files (x86) and then type the compact command and let it finish, then on to cd \Windows, etc.

4. No, you don't need to do a restore, or dump your computer, or cancel what you've done. You haven't done anything wrong. Just do what the directions say and quit worrying. You can't screw anything up.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Avast SecureLine Disconnected   

Back to top Go down

Avast SecureLine Disconnected
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next