Geeks, Geeks and More Geeks
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THIS FORUM IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. SORRY! DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REGISTER; YOUR REQUEST WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Add/Remove Programs List

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

Number of posts : 2378
Humor : Age: Older than Dirt!
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Add/Remove Programs List Empty
PostSubject: Add/Remove Programs List   Add/Remove Programs List Empty10/13/2008, 20:18

janewm

Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:11 pm Post subject: Add/Remove Programs List · Quote · Edit · Delete · IP

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First: This is not a problem. Simply a question I have wanted to ask for a long time.

Is there a list of "Standard Programs" that would be on any computer bought with the XP SP2 Home Edition? Like a list to compare what came with the computer to what is on the computer now. Not updates, just the basic programs.

I am kind of curious about the original programs that ship with a computer. The Microsoft/Windows programs. I certainly hope I am explaining this right.

I have researched all day on the internet and cannot find it. Of course, I may be asking the wrong words. Thanks.....

"If you cannot find the Truth right where you are, where else do you expect to find it?" Dogen

Back to top · Profile · PM · Email · WWW · MSN

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Repa
Site Admin
User is Online

Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:05 pm Post subject: · Quote · Edit · Delete · IP

It all depends on the manufacturer of your computer and the deals they have with other software companies. I've found stuff on my new Dell laptop that I never heard of before, and a lot of it is going bye-bye as soon as I make sure it isn't needed, or needed by some application that is needed. Dell is noted for bloatware and HP for both bloatware and spyware. I'm not familiar with other companies, so can't comment on them other than to say they probably put stuff on you don't need. I don't know that there is any standard list of basic programs that you should have. I can see that there are some differences in laptops and desktops now that I have both.

Older than dirt!

Back to top · Profile · PM · Email

pepperpot
Site Admin

Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:31 pm Post subject: · Quote · Edit · Delete · IP

Jane,

I can concur with Repa. All my computers are laptops (they are great when you have minimal space). Though I have had experience working with PC's.

a) PC's & Laptops are different

b) It all depends on the manufacturer, the programs, the ram and extras they are selling in the package (well at least that's how it works done here).

One of my laptops is a Gateway... bought in 2003... it's a XP SP1 Home Edition... everything is still in original state as it's not "connected" and not in "use"... if you want I can do a screen shot of the list

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Repa,
I did not know that Dell is noted for bloatware... I thought you can "Pick & Choose" what you want install.... well at least that's what we understand down here

"Spirituality is not religion, religion divides people. Believing in something unites"

Back to top · Profile · PM · Email · WWW

Repa
Site Admin
User is Online

Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:30 pm Post subject: · Quote · Edit · Delete · IP

You can choose, to a limited extent, by choices that Dell gives you to "customize" the computer you are buying, but you get a lot of stuff that you don't ask for or are even aware of until you get the computer - some of it considered as spyware by some, though not nearly as bad as HP. I have already gotten rid of several items, and will get rid of more as I have time to research them. If my laptop were a desktop, I would have no hesitation as to what to uninstall, but the laptop is different and unfamiliar territory for me, and I don't want to be too hasty and regret my actions after the fact. I do find that the Intel ProSet/Wireless software that came with mine is a piece of junk. It does have some nice features and is user friendly, but it is very unstable - and I have turned it off in Administrative Services so it won't run at startup, but have not uninstalled it. I am using Windows excusively to manage my wireless connection, which is very stable, and I am very happy with it.

Older than dirt!

pepperpot
Site Admin

Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:59 am Post subject: · Quote · Edit · Delete · IP

Jane,
I did a bit of research and I found this page that provides information on the features of Windows Xp Home Edition
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/evaluation/features.mspx

Check out these other links
http://forums.techguy.org/windows-nt-2000-xp/385233-does-windows-xp-home-edition.html

http://www.anetforums.com/posts.aspx?ThreadIndex=35250

Jane I found it hard to look for this information and I think it's due that Microsoft now has two new Windows Vista version and they are plugging those

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Repa,
Thanks for the information. I too have my wireless switch off & disable until I learn more on it.

"Spirituality is not religion, religion divides people. Believing in something unites"

Back to top · Profile · PM · Email · WWW

janewm

Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:17 pm Post subject: · Quote · Edit · Delete · IP

Samantha,
Like I said, I spent all day looking. It is not easy trying to find this info.

Repa
I jut want the basics of Windows (sorry I didn't say that before). I pretty much know what came with mine. HP Presario. What I am looking for is the bascis with Windows. Like, I got Works (break down of programsis in add/remove). Adobe 2.0., Internet Explore,Windows XPUpdates, etc. Plus a lot of HP stuff like Compaq connections, etc. DOes Microsoft.net framework come standard? There are a lot of programs that came with it but had to be installed once the computer was connected. Several of those I never installed because they were only trials. I don't bother with that.

I really was just wondering if there was a list of standard programs. But, as I said, it is very hard to find on the internet. And, because all manufacturers are different, that doesn't help.

Thanks anyway.

BTW Samantha, I have been to most of those sites and none come up with what I am looking for. Even your first pick is all words but no specific programs.

Thanks again for the help.

"If you cannot find the Truth right where you are, where else do you expect to find it?" Dogen

Back to top · Profile · PM · Email · WWW · MSN

Repa
Site Admin
User is Online

Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:47 pm Post subject: · Quote · Edit · Delete · IP

janewm wrote:
Repa
I jut want the basics of Windows (sorry I didn't say that before). I pretty much know what came with mine. HP Presario. What I am looking for is the bascis with Windows. Like, I got Works (break down of programsis in add/remove). Adobe 2.0., Internet Explore,Windows XPUpdates, etc. Plus a lot of HP stuff like Compaq connections, etc. DOes Microsoft.net framework come standard? There are a lot of programs that came with it but had to be installed once the computer was connected. Several of those I never installed because they were only trials. I don't bother with that.

If you were to install Windows XP SP2 yourself from a Windows XP CD using all default settings, you will have the following upon completion of the setup:

Windows XP SP2
Internet Explorer
Networking Services
Outlook Express
Windows Media Player
Update Root Certificates
Accessories and Utilities. This includes a bunch of stuff under the following categories:

Accessibility (magnifier, on-screen keyboard, etc)

Communications (Outlook Express, Network Connections, Network Setup Wizard, Wireless
Network Setup Wizard, New Connection Wizard, Remote Desktop Connection,
others)

Entertainment (Windows Media Player)

Games (Hearts, Minesweeper, Pinball, Solitaire, others (but definitely not WildTangent!))

Internet (Remote Assistance)

System Tools (System Restore, Defrag, Disk Cleanup, Administrative tools, Scheduled Tasks,
System Information, others)

Other Applications Loaded During Windows Setup:

Address Book
Calculator
Notepad
Paint
Scanner and Camera Wizard
Windows Desktop Search
Windows Explorer
Wordpad
Others

Doing this yourself, you would also load the software and drivers needed for your bios, monitor, speakers, mouse, keyboard, and printer/scanner. When you order a computer and these peripherals from a computer vendor, they will do this for you. A vendor will usually supply you with a resource CD to recover these items should you have to do a destructive recovery.

Anything else that you find on a computer from a vendor is added by the vendor of your computer, such as Works, Adobe Reader, Microsoft Office, etc. Usually, CDs are provided so you can recover these programs should you have to do a destructive recovery. Most, if not all of the Vendor Specific software as well as other applictions added due to deals with software companies are not needed and are usually bloatware and/or spyware. These should also be on a resource CD should you have to do a destructive recovery, but they should also give you options on what you want or don't want to install.

If you are thinking of removing applications you have no use for, research them first before removing them to find out what they do and what other applications may be dependent on them.

Hope this helps!

Older than dirt!

Last edited by Repa on Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:24 pm; edited 2 times in total

janewm

Posted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:08 am Post subject: · Quote · Edit · Delete · IP

Repa,

Thank you. That is basically the list I was looking for. I am not deleting anything. I was just curious. I never thought to check it when I had the crash last year. But, I do have two sets of back, thanks to that crashThanks again.

Add/Remove Programs List
Page 1 of 1