Geeks, Geeks and More Geeks
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THIS FORUM IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. SORRY! DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REGISTER; YOUR REQUEST WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

IP Flooding

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

Number of posts : 2378
Humor : Age: Older than Dirt!
Registration date : 2008-09-19

IP Flooding Empty
PostSubject: IP Flooding   IP Flooding Empty10/13/2008, 20:50

pepperpot
Site Admin

Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:36 pm Post subject: IP Flooding · Quote · Edit · Delete · IP

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I came across this phrase and wonder what it means. Mind you... I did do my research but could not understand it

So what does IP Flooding mean?

Could you please explain in simple terms

Thank you

"Spirituality is not religion, religion divides people. Believing in something unites"

Back to top · Profile · PM · Email · WWW

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Repa
Site Admin
User is Online

Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:52 pm Post subject: · Quote · Edit · Delete · IP

This is a class of DoS (Denial of Service) attack whereby the system is flooded with information using up all available bandwidth and so preventing legitimate users from access. In a distributed denial-of-service, large numbers of compromised systems (sometimes called a botnet) attack a single target.

Although a DoS attack does not usually result in the theft of information or other security loss, it can cost the target person or company a great deal of time and money. Typically, the loss of service is the inability of a particular network service, such as e-mail, to be available or the temporary loss of all network connectivity and services. A denial of service attack can also destroy programming and files in affected computer systems. In some cases, DoS attacks have forced Web sites accessed by millions of people to temporarily cease operation.

Older than dirt!

Back to top · Profile · PM · Email

pepperpot
Site Admin

Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:36 pm Post subject: · Quote · Edit · Delete · IP

Ok... so could this Denial of Service cost us to loose access to our board... making each one of us not able to get in?

I understand it attacking one person and the outcome of it... but not to a group of people causing them lost of access to just one place.... could this be possible?

Wouldn't this be something that would really target FPB company, but not us if the case were to make each one of us loose access.

"Spirituality is not religion, religion divides people. Believing in something unites"

Repa
Site Admin
User is Online

Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:28 am Post subject: · Quote · Edit · Delete · IP

Well, I really don't know much more about this than what I've read, but yes, we could be targeted and all of us could lose access to the board until FPB got things under control. It could be a flood of attempts to access the board from a botnet that would overflow the buffers FPB had designed for the anticipated traffic, and put us out of comission until FPB addressed and overcame the problem. More likely that FPB would be attacked, and not us, but the effect on us would probably be the same, as the attack would be on their servers, which we just happen to be on.

Older than dirt!

Back to top · Profile · PM · Email

pepperpot
Site Admin

Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:50 am Post subject: · Quote · Edit · Delete · IP

right... so if it happens to one board... it should be affecting many more... not just one.

and if it happens to one person... then that person just has no access what so ever to the net... right?

Lol... sorry for bugging you Repa... just trying to comprehend

Repa
Site Admin
User is Online

Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:01 am Post subject: · Quote · Edit · Delete · IP

lol, I don't know a lot more about it than you do Sam, and yes to your questions above (I think).
Back to top Go down

IP Flooding
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Geeks, Geeks and More Geeks :: Windows Computer Help :: Computer Discussion-
Jump to: