A friendly forum to get help and support

PortalPortal  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

What is Social Engineering?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Number of posts : 2372
Humor : Age: Older than Dirt!
Registration date : 2008-09-19

PostSubject: What is Social Engineering?   10/14/2008, 22:19

Repa
Site Admin
User is Online

Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:18 am Post subject: What is Social Engineering? · Quote · Edit · Delete · IP

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Find out here, and what you can do about it:

http://www.microsoft.com/protect/yourself/phishing/engineering.mspx

Note: be sure to read my last post at the end of this thread!

Older than dirt!

Back to top · Profile · PM · Email

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

pepperpot
Site Admin

Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:13 am Post subject: · Quote · Edit · Delete · IP

Thank you Repa.

As you said once... the bottom line is to not open & delete All emails from strangers.

Never give out private information such as finance & passwords... and

always keep your virus, spyware, etc., firewall and browser up to date

"Spirituality is not religion, religion divides people. Believing in something unites"

Back to top · Profile · PM · Email · WWW

janewm

Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:43 pm Post subject: · Quote · Edit · Delete · IP

Interesting article. I have received the email about the money owed me by the IRS. I got a notice from the Federal site about this email. When I got the email I had to laugh. It said the IRS had almost $100 for me if I would just verify----------------. Well, when I was done laughing I deleted it. See, I am on disability and do not make enough to file taxes. This is why I laughed. Although, some people would really open it, I knew right away what it was. This is why people need to really read those emails before opening attachments or clicking on sites to update their info.

"If you cannot find the Truth right where you are, where else do you expect to find it?" Dogen

Back to top · Profile · PM · Email · WWW · MSN

wwe9112
Royal Geek

Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:37 pm Post subject: · Quote · Edit · Delete · IP

few months ago i recived a email from some 4 year old needing a liver transplant and he needed 15,000,000 dollars from my checking account...all he needed he said was my numbers(i forget what he said bout that it was to do with checkning numbers or somthing) i almost told him i didnt have that much but then i though how the heck is a 4 year old typing better then me. And i think he said he's in isreal so hes speaking better tenglish them me lol so i just deleted it...but i felt bad causei started thinkg what if i where in his place.

Back to top · Profile · PM · Email · MSN

Repa
Site Admin
User is Online

Posted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 3:15 pm Post subject: · Quote · Edit · Delete · IP

I would suggest deleting any email from anyone you don't know without opening it. Viruses and other malware can be sent in the body of the email itself, not just the attachments. Read:

http://www.zzee.com/enh/email_security.html#zzee_link_1_1083515955

I believe this site is ok, (green on SiteAdvisor and no adverse user reviews) but I wouldn't follow the link to test your system's vulnerability to HTML email attacks, just to be extra cautious. You can avoid any email problems by just not opening any email from anyone you don't know.

The point I am trying to make here is, if you think you are safe if you don't open any email attachments but do open the email, you are quite mistaken. Also, please note that you are not safe if you have your preview pane on - turn it off so that you cannot see any part of the message before opening the email. I've said many times, "Don't open emails from anyone you don't know or haven't solicited information or a response from." If you get something that looks official from a bank, financial institution, credit card company or the government, call them, don't open the email. It most likely isn't what it appears to be.

You've heard that "curiosity killed a cat?" Well, just remember that the next time you get curious about an email, it could be your computer!

What is Social Engineering?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1