Geeks, Geeks and More Geeks
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THIS FORUM IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. SORRY! DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REGISTER; YOUR REQUEST WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Photobucket and other Image Storing Websites

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

Number of posts : 2378
Humor : Age: Older than Dirt!
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Photobucket and other Image Storing Websites Empty
PostSubject: Photobucket and other Image Storing Websites   Photobucket and other Image Storing Websites Empty10/25/2008, 01:33

Repa
Site Admin
User is Online

Posted: Wed May 21, 2008 12:02 am Post subject: Photobucket and other Image Storing Websites · Quote · Edit · Delete · IP

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Linda asked me in a PM if it would be safe for her to go to Photobucket. I researched this site and below is one of a number of user reviews of this site, all saying essentially the same thing:

Quote:
MS MVP Sandi Hardmeier blogs about Photobucket's inability to get rid off malware-serving advertisements, despite being informed several times about the issue.

Sandi even goes as far as recommending that "nobody should visit photobucket.com unless they have software in place that will prevent any advertisements on that site from being displayed on their computer" until Photobucket regains control of situation.

Read more from the link below:

http://msmvps.com/blogs/spywaresucks/archive/2008/05/13/1621408.aspx

I found essentially the same thing about imageshack. From the reviews I've read, tinypic.com seemed to be the least risky, although 1 user did complain about popups there too, but no report of malware. Myspace was awful! The main thing to be concerned about at photobucket, and imageshack, and myspace are the malware-serving advertisements known as malvertizements. Apparently these sites are doing little or nothing to stop these malware-serving advertisements, including the networks that distribute them. Unless you are using your hosts file or other means (just the pop-up blocker doesn't stop them) to block the advertisements from the third party advertisers piggybacking on these sites (i.e., blocking the distributing sites themselves from your computer), you should think twice about using photobucket, imageshack and myspace to store your photos. In fact, I wouldn't go there even with protection. But, if you're determined to use one of these sites, read this

http://www.freepowerboards.com/geeksmore/geeksmore-about1398.html

in order to get that kind of protection.

All I can say is, also beware of the SiteAdvisor ratings of green. If you don't read the user reviews below the green checkmark, you can frequently be mislead into thinking that a site is safe when in fact, many users may be reporting serious problems of spamming, phishing, viruses, spyware, and other malware experienced by visiting the site. So, please, don't stop at the green checkmark - read on down the page to the User Reviews.

Gosh, I know I'm going to catch it from a few of you guys now!!! Hey! I'm just looking out for you guys!

Older than dirt!

Last edited by Repa on Wed May 21, 2008 10:39 am; edited 2 times in total

Back to top · Profile · PM · Email

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

pepperpot
Site Admin

Posted: Wed May 21, 2008 10:11 am Post subject: · Quote · Edit · Delete · IP

Thanks Repa,

I do have the Host Files security on and I love it! I had a feeling something was up with Photobucket when my computer reported that "IE prevented something to be install" when I was not even clicking on anything!

What are we to do... we do need storage - lol

any ideas people? ?

Repa... I don't know about you but I don't see Advertisements when clicking on the thumbnail to view the larger image... so I don't think there is 2nd hand infection

"Spirituality is not religion, religion divides people. Believing in something unites"

Back to top · Profile · PM · Email · WWW

Repa
Site Admin
User is Online

Posted: Wed May 21, 2008 10:32 am Post subject: · Quote · Edit · Delete · IP

You don't see the advertisements because there are entries in your hosts file blocking those sites. Empty your hosts file and then see what happens when you go there. Nooo! I'm just kidding - don't empty your hosts file! You don't want to find out what will happen. Then, you'll be busy cleaning your computer again!

Older than dirt!

pepperpot
Site Admin

Posted: Wed May 21, 2008 11:07 am Post subject: · Quote · Edit · Delete · IP

Repa wrote:
You don't see the advertisements because there are entries in your hosts file blocking those sites.

In the words of Homer Simpson "D-oh!" - I think I need a Simpson smiley - lol

Ok... how about this storage? I think those of you that uses hotmail received this information in there email. I also think Fay had mention it once before.

Quote:
Store & Share large files for free
Windows Live™ SkyDrive™.
Want to send large files, like vacation photos and home videos, without worrying about exceeding your friends' e-mail storage space? With SkyDrive, you get 5 GB of password-protected online storage. That means you can get to your files from wherever you're online, and so can the people you give permission to. You're always in control of who sees what.
http://www.windowslive.com/skydrive/overview.html?ocid=EML_PROED_0004_WLRefresh_button_05132008

"Spirituality is not religion, religion divides people. Believing in something unites"

Back to top · Profile · PM · Email · WWW

Repa
Site Admin
User is Online

Posted: Wed May 21, 2008 3:49 pm Post subject: · Quote · Edit · Delete · IP

Skydrive looks ok. Another that looks ok is tinypic.com.

Older than dirt!

janewm

Posted: Thu May 22, 2008 10:09 am Post subject: · Quote · Edit · Delete · IP

Repa,

I will not pick onyou. I like Photobucket and have never had any problems. (knock on wood) I find it ithe easiest to use. It is the same with other sites or software. Some people like them and have no problems while others seem to go crazy with certain ones. No big deal to me. At this time, I have had no problems.
Back to top Go down

Photobucket and other Image Storing Websites
Page 1 of 1