Geeks, Geeks and More Geeks
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THIS FORUM IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. SORRY! DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REGISTER; YOUR REQUEST WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

question about Excel and column headings

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
fay47
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
fay47

Number of posts : 1480
Registration date : 2008-10-17
Mood : none

question about Excel and column headings Empty
PostSubject: question about Excel and column headings   question about Excel and column headings Empty11/8/2008, 21:48

I found out how to get the column headings to print on each page, but what about when viewing/entering data on the spread sheet. If there are a large number of columns on the spread sheet when the headings scroll off it makes it hard to know what columns contain what data. Is there any way to keep the headings displayed on the screen? Hope this question makes sense.

Fay
Back to top Go down
pepperpot
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
pepperpot

Number of posts : 715
Humor : I think I have one
Registration date : 2008-09-19
Mood : pensive

PostSubject: Re: question about Excel and column headings   question about Excel and column headings Empty11/8/2008, 22:06

I really don't understand... screen shots would help me Smile
Back to top Go down
fay47
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
fay47

PostSubject: Re: question about Excel and column headings   question about Excel and column headings Empty11/8/2008, 23:29

Sam,

I haven't figured out the upload here yet. I'll try another explanation if that doesn't explain it, I'll try to figure out the upload.

Say I have a spread sheet containing columns of amounts for different things. I set up the cells in row 1 - to contain a description of the amounts. the rest of the rows contains the amounts. I can set up the spread sheet so that the descriptions in row 1 print on each page. But when I am viewing and entering data into the spread sheet, row 1 scrolls off the screen as I enter lines more lines into the spread sheet. Is there anyway of keeping row 1 displayed on the screen so that I can see what goes it which column?

Fay
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

Number of posts : 2378
Humor : Age: Older than Dirt!

PostSubject: Re: question about Excel and column headings   question about Excel and column headings Empty11/9/2008, 12:27

Yes, on the menu bar, select Window > Split. This will split the document into 2 windows. You can hover your cursor over the horizontal bar that "splits" the document until it changes into 2 horizontal parallel bars with upper and lower vertical arrows to adjust the split window appearance you want, i.e., have the column descriptions only in the upper window, and the rest of the document in the lower window.

To remove the split window, select Window > Remove Split.

To upload images, go to Samantha's tutorial here:

https://geeksgeeksmoregeeks.forumotion.net/board-functions-f12/adding-images-using-the-image-host-on-this-board-t464.htm#686
Back to top Go down
fay47
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
fay47

PostSubject: Re: question about Excel and column headings   question about Excel and column headings Empty11/9/2008, 16:40

Repa,

I have office 2007 and it took me a couple to find the split, but then I was able to get it to work. Now, I'll have to see if I can figure out how to show/explain to a friend of mine. I may be helping her set up a spread sheet (she has not decided for sure yet). She doesn't know anything about EXCEL and is nervous about trying new things on the computer. Not sure If I'll be able to get her doing this, but it will help be out on some of my spread sheets. I have been having to scroll back up to check which columns are which. This will help me out a lot.

Thanks soooooo much.
Fay
Back to top Go down
fay47
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
fay47

PostSubject: Re: question about Excel and column headings   question about Excel and column headings Empty11/10/2008, 18:01

I was playing around with this and happened to discover that in addition to the split , there is a freeze panes that can accomplish the task. It is located on the same menu as the split. you can freeze both column and row headers. Wow - so much to learn.

Fay
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

Number of posts : 2378
Humor : Age: Older than Dirt!

PostSubject: Re: question about Excel and column headings   question about Excel and column headings Empty11/10/2008, 21:43

Yep, that's in Excel 2000 as well.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: question about Excel and column headings   question about Excel and column headings Empty

Back to top Go down

question about Excel and column headings
Page 1 of 1