Geeks, Geeks and More Geeks
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THIS FORUM IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. SORRY! DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REGISTER; YOUR REQUEST WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

bitdefender

Go down 
AuthorMessage

bitdefender Empty
PostSubject: bitdefender   bitdefender Empty5/3/2009, 16:06

Hey, Repa,

Is there not a free version of bitdefender anymore?
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

Number of posts : 2378
Humor : Age: Older than Dirt!
Registration date : 2008-09-19

bitdefender Empty
PostSubject: Re: bitdefender   bitdefender Empty5/3/2009, 16:57

You can read about how to set it up and run it here:

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=148841

and go here to actually do a free scan:

http://www.bitdefender.com/scan8/ie.html

Guess I need to review the tuts and update them. I'm thinking about changing a few of the scanners. Will let folks know when I have done this.
Back to top Go down

bitdefender Empty
PostSubject: Re: bitdefender   bitdefender Empty5/4/2009, 01:12

Do you have to scan in Owner/Admin. level?
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

bitdefender Empty
PostSubject: Re: bitdefender   bitdefender Empty5/4/2009, 09:20

wcturner wrote:
Do you have to scan in Owner/Admin. level?

I would think so, as bitdefender will download some stuff to run on your machine.
Back to top Go down

bitdefender Empty
PostSubject: Re: bitdefender   bitdefender Empty5/10/2009, 14:27

Repa,

1) I was gonna try the free scan with bitdefender, & it said: Could not load the Online Scanner! Service Pack 2 was detected on this computer. What should i do?

2) If Admn. level is required to run these online scans, how does one prevent "Varmints" from attacking ones computer?

3) I haven't run BD, trend micro, panda, etc. in a long time & I can't remember how I used to do it.
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

bitdefender Empty
PostSubject: Re: bitdefender   bitdefender Empty5/10/2009, 16:39

wcturner wrote:

1) I was gonna try the free scan with bitdefender, & it said: Could not load the Online Scanner! Service Pack 2 was detected on this computer. What should i do?

2) If Admn. level is required to run these online scans, how does one prevent "Varmints" from attacking ones computer?

When you tried to run bitdefender online did the error message read as follows: BitDefender: "Could not load the Online Scanner! Service Pack 2 was detected on this computer. Click on the information bar and select "Install ActiveX Control.." ?

If it did, did you click on the information bar and select "install ActiveX control.."? You need to be in an admin account to do this, otherwise you can't download the controls necessary for the online scan to start. You don't need to worry about stuff getting on your system while bitdefender is running. But, you may need to worry about what is already on your system with the problems you've been having. Have you run the scans in Tut#6 to see if you have mailware?
Back to top Go down

bitdefender Empty
PostSubject: Re: bitdefender   bitdefender Empty5/10/2009, 22:59

Repa
where is the information bar?

To do Tutorial 6, do I need to be in internet explorer?
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

bitdefender Empty
PostSubject: Re: bitdefender   bitdefender Empty5/10/2009, 23:12

wcturner wrote:
Repa
where is the information bar?

To do Tutorial 6, do I need to be in internet explorer?

The information bar is a yellow bar that appears at the top of your page just under the address bar when you get a message like that where you need to take action or refuse it. To do Tut#6, you will be doing all the same things we did that first time I helped you clean your machine 3 years ago. If you have everything that we downloaded then, just follow the Tut and run the scans as directed. You need to run the online scan like bitdefender from IE. Let me know if you find any malware or not. I may have you download an additional scanner or 2.
Back to top Go down

bitdefender Empty
PostSubject: Re: bitdefender   bitdefender Empty5/10/2009, 23:17

I don't remember seeing the info bar, but, i'll have to try again & look for it.

I'll keep you posted.

Bitdefender, trend micro, & other online scanners, can't be run in safe mode, correct?

I noticed several scanners that you didn't have me install 3 yrs. ago, such as Webhancer Removal program, EliteToolbar Remover, cc cleaner. To update all scanners in your C:\ drive folder, do I do that from the C:\ drive My Downloads folder?
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

bitdefender Empty
PostSubject: Re: bitdefender   bitdefender Empty5/11/2009, 09:55

wcturner wrote:
I don't remember seeing the info bar, but, i'll have to try again & look for it.

It's a thin yellow bar that pops up under the address bar in IE. You will need to right-click on it and select the option to install the Active X control. Do you get a popup window that asks if you want to install bitdefender online scanner v8?

Bitdefender, trend micro, & other online scanners, can't be run in safe mode, correct?

You run them in normal mode.

I noticed several scanners that you didn't have me install 3 yrs. ago, such as Webhancer Removal program, EliteToolbar Remover, cc cleaner. To update all scanners in your C:\ drive folder, do I do that from the C:\ drive My Downloads folder?

You download them into your My Downloads folder and then, in the case of ccleaner, click on the download to start the install wizard and install the application. I think webhancer and elite toolbar run directly from the downloaded application in My Downloads, but can't remember for sure. When you click on them, it will be apparent what you need to do.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

bitdefender Empty
PostSubject: Re: bitdefender   bitdefender Empty

Back to top Go down

bitdefender
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Geeks, Geeks and More Geeks :: Windows Computer Help :: Computer Security-
Jump to: