Geeks, Geeks and More Geeks
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THIS FORUM IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. SORRY! DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REGISTER; YOUR REQUEST WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Important notice for Firefox browser users

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
novice61
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
novice61

Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2009-05-02

Important notice for Firefox browser users Empty
PostSubject: Important notice for Firefox browser users   Important notice for Firefox browser users Empty6/2/2009, 10:55

It appears that Microsoft has tampered with Firefox in one of it's security updates. The .net framework was added to the Mozilla browser automatically as an add on. The add on can be disabled, but not uninstalled, as they also caused the uninstall button of the add on to be grayed out. Uninstallation of the add on requires manual registry changes.

The .net framework is perhaps the most dangerous vulnerability of IE Explorer, as it allows websites to manipulate your system without admin privileges. It is a developer tool that has no business anywhere near a user's system. Some time ago I stated here that one should accept all security updates from Microsoft via automatic update. Evidently, Microsoft has made that advice incorrect in their arrogance. For Microsoft to alter an unrelated and competitive application doesn't bode well for their reputation nor do anything to garner public trust. In light of this obvious and blatant display of entitlement I would suggest that all Microsoft updates be individually installed only after careful examination and research.

More details can be found here:

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/securityfix/2009/05/microsoft_update_quietly_insta.html
Back to top Go down
wwe9112
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

Number of posts : 534
Registration date : 2008-10-23
Mood : mellow

PostSubject: Re: Important notice for Firefox browser users   Important notice for Firefox browser users Empty6/2/2009, 19:14

How do I disable it? I don't see it on addons...

Would this be the reason why I keep getting server taking to long to display messages? It's driving me nuts!
Back to top Go down
novice61
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
novice61

PostSubject: Re: Important notice for Firefox browser users   Important notice for Firefox browser users Empty6/2/2009, 19:32

In Firefox, click "tools, add ons" If it doesn't show up there it likely wasn't installed. Not everyone got the add on for some reason.
Back to top Go down
fay47
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
fay47

Number of posts : 1480
Registration date : 2008-10-17
Mood : none

PostSubject: Re: Important notice for Firefox browser users   Important notice for Firefox browser users Empty6/3/2009, 21:44

After I read this thread I checked mine and it was there - I disabled it.

Fay
Back to top Go down
novice61
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
novice61

PostSubject: Re: Important notice for Firefox browser users   Important notice for Firefox browser users Empty6/4/2009, 18:00

I did manage to find a fix for this problem at Microsoft. They didn't include it in their advertised updates. One can only assume that they weren't anxious to spread the word about this one. This update will enable the delete button for the add on so that it can be completely removed from Firefox. After running the update (from IE ) simply open Firefox and go back to "tools, add ons" to delete the add on.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=cecc62dc-96a7-4657-af91-6383ba034eab
Back to top Go down
angelface1961
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
angelface1961

Number of posts : 579
Registration date : 2009-01-10
Mood : fine

PostSubject: Re: Important notice for Firefox browser users   Important notice for Firefox browser users Empty6/6/2009, 08:24

I just checked my add ons. It is there but not enabled. I remember seeing it in the updates for Microsoft and almost did not check it but was unsure so thought better safe then sorry. LOL silly me sorry anyway. I usually only do my Windows Defender updates. all others are optional. I will continue doing this. Dang sneaky imho
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Important notice for Firefox browser users   Important notice for Firefox browser users Empty

Back to top Go down

Important notice for Firefox browser users
Page 1 of 1