Geeks, Geeks and More Geeks
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THIS FORUM IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. SORRY! DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REGISTER; YOUR REQUEST WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

speed test

Go down 
+3
Repa
angelface1961
wwe9112
7 posters
AuthorMessage
wwe9112
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

Number of posts : 534
Registration date : 2008-10-23
Mood : mellow

speed test Empty
PostSubject: speed test   speed test Empty6/9/2009, 19:02

i remember at the old board of having a speed test thread; it had allot of activity so lets do another one here are mine...

some how im above my isp average by half:

speed test Capturejgo

ha i used the snipping tool samantha showed everyone how to use in a previous thread to take the screen shot, thanks...

Here's another shot of how far ahead of my isp; it's weird!
speed test Capturenva
Back to top Go down
angelface1961
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
angelface1961

Number of posts : 579
Registration date : 2009-01-10
Mood : fine

speed test Empty
PostSubject: Re: speed test   speed test Empty6/9/2009, 21:27

Mine stink. I should be at 8 mgs easy on the download
This is to New York where we are suppossed to use for work

Here is for the Minneapolis the one they wanted me to use

I am calling my Front Desk person...oh wait that's me LOL That stinks. I should get one of the guys out here to do some checking.
Back to top Go down
angelface1961
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
angelface1961

speed test Empty
PostSubject: Re: speed test   speed test Empty6/9/2009, 21:31

Here is the site we use at work:

http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/

6408 kbps (6.8 mb/s) on the download
833 kbps (.83 mb/s) on the upload

better....
Back to top Go down
wwe9112
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

speed test Empty
PostSubject: Re: speed test   speed test Empty6/9/2009, 21:37

Here are what mine are using that site you gave me:

speed test Capturelxd

Maybe repa couldtell you why your speeds suck for one place and not the other or what other... idk... maybe allot of people are online when you tested...
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

Number of posts : 2378
Humor : Age: Older than Dirt!
Registration date : 2008-09-19

speed test Empty
PostSubject: Re: speed test   speed test Empty6/9/2009, 22:58

A lot depends on the load on the server you are running the test on, and also the distance to the server can be a factor, although usually not a big factor. The higher the load on the server, the slower your response time can be. If you check your speeds at off hours, like 3:00 - 4:00am, you will usually find your speeds to be quite fast. Also, if you are on cable, the more people that are active on the same cable line you are on, the more bandwidth that is taken up, causing your computer download times and upload times to decrease. I noticed this a lot when I was on cable in Aurora, CO. My computer would slow down at night after supper and before midnight, and on weekends. Those were the times when working people on the same line I was on would be active, cutting out a lot of my bandwidth. Now that I am on DSL, I have my own line and my speeds are pretty consistent going to the same server. It will vary from server to server, with some being rather poor, and some being excellent if I run the speed tests at several test sites within a few minutes of each other.

I usually get very good results at Speakeasy, NYC, NY, and Parsippany. Megapath in San Francisco is usually my worst results, but still not real bad. Again, off-hour speed test runs will usually yield better results. You have access to several speedtest servers at different locations at

http://www.dslreports.com

You will find the speed tests and other tests by clicking on the "Tools" link in the left column of the web page.
Back to top Go down
pepperpot
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
pepperpot

Number of posts : 715
Humor : I think I have one
Mood : pensive

speed test Empty
PostSubject: Re: speed test   speed test Empty6/10/2009, 18:15

This one is for a place here in Venezuela

This one is all the way in Curacao

Holly... you think your own stinks... HA!... look at mine Sad Sad

The only speed test I could use was the one Wwe provided as its world wide... the other link that Holly provided are USA based and the one that Repa provided gives the same link of WWe's

and this is the one Speetest recommended to use

Note: As this is an open forum I hide your results as one can see who is your provider
Back to top Go down
wwe9112
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

speed test Empty
PostSubject: Re: speed test   speed test Empty6/10/2009, 23:34

LOl it's higher at nearly midnight fo rme...

sam i thought you had faster internet then me? Did you switch internets?

Last edited by wwe9112 on 6/12/2009, 19:42; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
novice61
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
novice61

Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2009-05-02

speed test Empty
PostSubject: Re: speed test   speed test Empty6/12/2009, 19:35

wwe9112 wrote:
LOl it's higher at nearly midnight fo rme...

speed test 493239569

sam i thought you had faster internet then me? Did you switch internets?

That is very impressive. I have a fiber optic connection to the ISP server from my router and I can only manage between 9.5 to 10.5. Can you describe your system and internet connection in more detail?
Back to top Go down
wwe9112
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

speed test Empty
PostSubject: Re: speed test   speed test Empty6/12/2009, 19:43

Hmm... I have comcast high speed internet, idk what to say lol; I have a brand new pc, if you could like give me a template of what you wanna know that would help as i honestly don't know what to say; sorry novice Sad
Back to top Go down
novice61
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
novice61

speed test Empty
PostSubject: Re: speed test   speed test Empty6/12/2009, 20:00

Is comcast a cable or dsl network? Do you have any enhanced options from comcast, such as gaming or ftp? Is comcast a new service in your area? Is their subscriber base largest or smallest in the area? Do you know how far you are from the ISP server? How long have you been a customer of comcast and are you utilizing any "trial" period with them? Do you live in a dense metro area or rural?

I know this is a lot of questions, but your speed is very high on both up and down tests, which is very unusual. Your up speed about matches my down during heavy traffic times. lol My son and I configured our network right to the fiber optic input to the server so I know we have squeezed every mb possible out of it. He used to do configuration management for Sprint when they were first testing fiber to the home technology and set up their redundancy standards and failsafe routing for their secure government network. Our local ISP allowed him to audit their routing and priority configs before we dropped our cable connection in favor of fiber.
Back to top Go down
wwe9112
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

speed test Empty
PostSubject: Re: speed test   speed test Empty6/12/2009, 20:34

I live in the city; I live in weirton w.va its close to pitt steubinville and countless other big cities... but also close to 'hick' towns like pensbrough, sistersville, etc. I've had them a year. No comcast isn't new in my area it's been here a while. The serve if I'm not mistaking is only a few miles away like up on the hill we call it where all the stores are, but don't hold me to it. It's largest here; they are in heavy competition in our area with verizon which is also this fast but costs $$$ I'm on cable, our phone is also through in net i think...

We haven't configured anything but we have a neetwork set up between our 3 pc's... I was going to try to set up a whole set of servers for hosting but we aren't on the right plan so i scrapped that though we have local servers set up for tedsting stuff(when i used to do that stuff) I think comcast is working on setting up a hige new set of servers or something at once September rolls around everyone's neet will decrease back to where it should be at 10-15mbps. They are also working on some other different fiberoptic and what ever all that other stuff is I think; rumer has it anyhow in my area. hey i think wil lhave the fastest net after that verizon faos is faster i think idk ha i jus thear stuff so im prob wrong.
Back to top Go down
novice61
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
novice61

speed test Empty
PostSubject: Re: speed test   speed test Empty6/12/2009, 22:05

It sounds like you are using some extraordinary bandwidth that they will be allocating elsewhere eventually. It'd be nice to know that your system was the slow point of the equation.

If you have a new system I assume you are running Vista. I could give you a couple of hints to really turbo charge your system for games and video if you have a fairly fast and large capacity (4+gig) flash drive. It involves messing with your virtual memory and ram configuration but it's worth the time. I would have to relate instructions in Windows7 terms and you would have to find the corresponding commands in Vista, but it shouldn't be too hard. Let me know if you want to try it.
Back to top Go down
wwe9112
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

speed test Empty
PostSubject: Re: speed test   speed test Empty6/12/2009, 22:30

Yea I'd like to hav the tips Smile... I have a bunch of hard drive room. We have a tarabite drive being shared from all the pc's and mine has 1 350 3 70s visit this thread it has my specs

https://geeksgeeksmoregeeks.forumotion.net/computer-discussion-f37/my-new-pc-t662.htm
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

Number of posts : 2378
Humor : Age: Older than Dirt!

speed test Empty
PostSubject: Re: speed test   speed test Empty6/12/2009, 22:34

Keith, what do you think of Windows 7 so far?
Back to top Go down
angelface1961
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
angelface1961

speed test Empty
PostSubject: Re: speed test   speed test Empty6/12/2009, 22:38

29.21 mbps you stink...lol Im kidding. I understand what you are saying about the bandwidth. We downplay that tho... I know most of it is cuz of the times I am on it. I am usually sleeping at the 3 or 4 in the morning. LOL ALthough I have checked Sunday morning at 5 am and got 22 mbps.

U am sorry Sam did not know speakeasy was US only... they things I learn on Geeks
Back to top Go down
novice61
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
novice61

speed test Empty
PostSubject: Re: speed test   speed test Empty6/13/2009, 00:52

Repa wrote:
Keith, what do you think of Windows 7 so far?

Windows7 is going to be my Windows choice and may even take the place of my Linux OS, Fedora. It is a lot lighter on resources than Vista and has the same basic security. Having "borrowed" my video card for another build I am limited to non Aero at the moment, but that isn't much of a consideration for me as I am not a gamer. I'll probably replace it just for speed boost one achieves by rerouting video to a separate processor. I'll also be back to my photoshop duties sometime this month and will need a good video card.

I really like the capability of redi boost, as my system uses DDR1 memory. It is the only memory class that isn't going down in price. I pay about the same per gig as 3 gig of DDR2 or 3. I added a 4 gig fast flash drive ($15) and split it 3/1 for ram/swap (virtual memory). This cut my page load time drastically as the system isn't working with a swap file on an I/O hard drive. Even SATA can't access as fast as good flash memory. One doesn't realize what the effect of a few milliseconds can be until you look at the number of data accesses that occur in an average file load process.

With this configuration it is best to keep the swap space to a minimum and set the minimum and maximum space the same to keep Windows from constantly rebuilding the swap file size. When you have 4 gig of ram to work with it doesn't adversely effect performance like it would have back a couple of years ago when 1 gig of ram was considered huge. I also force the system files to load into ram instead of the swap space so that the swap can be smaller. Splitting system files between ram and swap space caused a lot of extra seek time in the old hard drive swap configurations. This requires a registry key to be written and uploaded, but it also saves a millisecond here and there that add up fast.
Back to top Go down
novice61
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
novice61

speed test Empty
PostSubject: Re: speed test   speed test Empty6/13/2009, 01:26

wwe9112 wrote:
Yea I'd like to hav the tips Smile... I have a bunch of hard drive room. We have a tarabite drive being shared from all the pc's and mine has 1 350 3 70s visit this thread it has my specs

https://geeksgeeksmoregeeks.forumotion.net/computer-discussion-f37/my-new-pc-t662.htm

A couple of quick questions;

1) 2942 is an odd number for your ram. Are you using onboard video? or do you have a video card?

If you have a PCI express or AGP video card then your system is robbing you of some ram by dedicating some of it to video in the bios. This is a simple fix. If you are using onboard video (built into the motherboard) then you are still missing 2 mg of ram somewhere in addition to the dedicated video ram.

2) Your pagefile: Is 5032 the total size of the Windows managed pagefile? Even the 1075 is a bit large and tells me that a lot of system files are loading there. That can be a good thing, but not on the hard drive based page file system. We can fix that tho.

3) Do you have a good size (4 gig +) flash drive that you can dedicate to the system full time? It should be one with a very short access time, usually a feature of the name brand drives. Staples has a good PNY 4 gig that works well for under $20. 8 gig would be even better if you have one around.
Back to top Go down
wwe9112
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

speed test Empty
PostSubject: Re: speed test   speed test Empty6/13/2009, 01:44

I'll answers those when i get on in the am its almost 2 and I cant think. I think I have a 2 gig flash drive maybe a 4 i forget; i got it at xt-mas and havent opened it yhet so idk its in the other room and my mom is sleepiong and i dont wanna wake her. thanx
Back to top Go down
topgunmike
New Geek
New Geek
topgunmike

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2009-08-25

speed test Empty
PostSubject: my slo speed   speed test Empty8/25/2009, 22:33

speed test 567069779
sometime d/l is more than 20 MBPS.

Last edited by topgunmike on 9/16/2009, 16:52; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.topgunmikeservices.com
Sheila
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Sheila

Number of posts : 165
Registration date : 2008-10-18

speed test Empty
PostSubject: Re: speed test   speed test Empty9/16/2009, 15:44

speed test 567013151
I thought I would try the speed test so here it is...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

speed test Empty
PostSubject: Re: speed test   speed test Empty

Back to top Go down

speed test
Page 1 of 1