A friendly forum to get help and support

PortalPortal  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Spybot found this

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Number of posts : 2372
Humor : Age: Older than Dirt!
Registration date : 2008-09-19

PostSubject: Re: Spybot found this   9/19/2010, 13:53

I think it may a false positive, or at least not much to worry about. The website spywareinfo was sold and is now considered an at risk site. That could be why Spybot is flagging your bookmarks, if I gather what is going on correctly. If you don't go there, you'll be ok.

Did you try restoring your system back to before the last good spybot run you had?

Have you searched for it (spywareinfo and merijn) in the firefox bookmarks as you did before, and in all accounts (wife's, grandchildren, All Users, Default User, Guest, etc), not just yours? You can follow each path to the bookmarks for each account in C:\Documents and Settings. I assume Spybot is still pointing to Mozilla Firefox bookmarks?

I would tell you to search the registry for spywareinfo and merijn and delete all references except there are several places where it would be valid to have them, like in the Restricted Sites table. If you can remember to set a restore point before starting and don't delete anything found with a Reg_DWord value of 0x00000004(4), then you could go ahead and try that after searching your bookmarks and letting Spybot try to fix the problem as well.

There are a couple of other programs you might try to see if they find the same thing as Spybot and can fix the problem:

MalwareBytes - http://majorgeeks.com/Malwarebytes_Anti-Malware_d5756.html

SuperAntispyware - http://majorgeeks.com/SUPERAntiSpyware_d5116.html

I would make these 2 programs a permanent part of your anti-spyware toolkit.

wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

Number of posts : 1158
Humor : Yes
Registration date : 2009-10-26

PostSubject: Re: Spybot found this   10/9/2010, 13:53

Sorry I'm just getting back to this. I got a clean bill of health when I did a scan last week. I'll scan again today and hope for the same.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Spybot found this
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2