Geeks, Geeks and More Geeks
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THIS FORUM IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. SORRY! DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REGISTER; YOUR REQUEST WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Updating Antivirus

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

Number of posts : 1165
Humor : Yes
Registration date : 2009-10-26

Updating Antivirus Empty
PostSubject: Updating Antivirus   Updating Antivirus Empty5/23/2010, 23:44

Repa,
Each day that I turn on the computer I do as you said, I update all of them before surfing the internet.

Got a what "if" for ya: If on any given day, after I get the AV's updated, if I turn the computer off, and then back on say a couple of hours later, do I have to update the antiviruses again, or is that one update good for a 24 hour period, regardless of how many times computer is turned on and off? And, if it's good for a 24 hour period, does the 24 hour period begin at 12 midnight to 12 midnight?

I know I've heard it said there's no dumb questions, but, is that true?
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

Number of posts : 2378
Humor : Age: Older than Dirt!
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Updating Antivirus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Updating Antivirus   Updating Antivirus Empty5/24/2010, 01:44

The only AntiVirus program you have is Avast, and it updates itself automatically daily, sometimes several times a day. The other scanners are anti-spyware/anti-malware programs. Ad-aware runs in realtime and protects your system from other types of malware, but for some reason doesn't seem to update itself, although it is supposed to. But, updates aren't always available daily. Still, you need to check for Ad-aware updates at least every 2 or 3 days. Same with Spybot and Spywareblaster, because they update the entries in your restricted sites table and Spybot also updates the entries in your Host file. You should always check for updates to your anti-spyware programs before running scans to be sure you have the latest signatures.
Back to top Go down

Updating Antivirus
Page 1 of 1