Geeks, Geeks and More Geeks
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THIS FORUM IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. SORRY! DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REGISTER; YOUR REQUEST WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Service Pack 3

Go down 
2 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

Number of posts : 1165
Humor : Yes
Registration date : 2009-10-26

Service Pack 3 - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Service Pack 3   Service Pack 3 - Page 3 Empty9/28/2011, 00:06

1) Oh, don't worry, I'm famous for Negotiating. I was thinking about that this afternoon.

2) a) Another thing that confuses me is how to put the backed up files, bookmarks and everything back on the computer?

b) And, I'm not sure how much stuff to put on the CD's. I mean, can one put files, bookmarks, etc., on the same CD? Unsure if it is possible to mix things up on a single CD, or do you keep them separate? I assume that one would just take each account separately, and maybe do files, then bookmarks. I'm almost sure they should be kept separated, some way.

3) And, then, there's having to get them back on the computer, when & if one get's them backed up.? I guess I'd have to study a tutorial first.?

4) Today, I was thinking, that if I could try some of this stuff, and maybe I could get some of it done. Or, if not, maybe I could then back out, & then hire a shop to do what I couldn't get finished. Is something like that possible, or do you know?

5) I'll keep thinking on it, and, I'll try tomorrow to call some more shops for estimates, & negotiations.

Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

Number of posts : 2378
Humor : Age: Older than Dirt!
Registration date : 2008-09-19

PostSubject: Re: Service Pack 3   Service Pack 3 - Page 3 Empty9/28/2011, 14:24

wcturner wrote:
2)b) And, I'm not sure how much stuff to put on the CD's. I mean, can one put files, bookmarks, etc., on the same CD? Unsure if it is possible to mix things up on a single CD, or do you keep them separate? I assume that one would just take each account separately, and maybe do files, then bookmarks. I'm almost sure they should be kept separated, some way.

3) And, then, there's having to get them back on the computer, when & if one get's them backed up.? I guess I'd have to study a tutorial first.?

Have you read Tut#29?

1. Create a new folder on your C:\ drive like your My Downloads folder for each user account that you have. You could name each of them "UserName Backup" where Username is the account name. This is where you'll want to export your Favorites and Bookmarks folders into, and copy your My Documents folders for each account into. See the instructions in Tut#29 for how to do the Favorites and Bookmarks. While holding down the Ctrl key, you can just drag and drop your My Documents folder into the backup folder you create for each account.

2. The folders you'll want to copy to a blank CD are the ones mentioned in step 1 above that you create for each account, and also your My Downloads folder on your C:\ drive, and any other folders you have that contain photos or papers or bank account information, etc., that you don’t want to lose. You'll do this according to the directions given in the second part of Tut#29.

3. You can put as many different folders and files from each account, and other folders and files from your hard drive on one CD as the CD will hold, about 650 -700MB, depending on brand name. Use Rewriteable CDs to do this - they can always be erased and used again at a later time when the data on them is outdated. Think of the CD as just another hard drive that is removeable. You access it in the same way as your C:\ drive and you can see the folders and files it contains, just like you can on your hard drive. You can drag and drop folders and files from the CD to your C:\ drive in the same way that you can drag and drop folders and files from one location on your hard drive to another. But, to put files and folders on the CD, you must follow the directions given in the second part of Tut#29.

4. For restoring the backed-up Favorites and Bookmark folders from the CD to your hard drive, follow the recovery directions given for each browser in Tut#29. To copy your backed-up data files from the CD to your hard drive, just select them on the CD and drag and drop them into the location on your hard drive where you want them to be.
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: Service Pack 3   Service Pack 3 - Page 3 Empty9/28/2011, 15:13

No, I haven't read Tu#29 as yet.

After I posted last night< I was thinking that one of the Tut's that you had mentioned covered what I was asking. I didn't feel like going back to edit.

I'm seriously thinking about going ahead with doing this myself, though. I have about 30-40, new, blank, CD-R, cd's. These say 80Min./700MB. Brand names are FujiFilm, and K Hypermedia. Do you know if these brands are good?
I think that is what you are referring to.?

I was stopped in my tracks today because I had to try to get into my Doctor, family MD. My Podiatrist is closed on Wednesday. This morning, the toe that has been giving me fits for the last year, was/is cherry Red color, and is infected again. Sooo, here I go again.

As usual, Thanks for the info!

I've EDITED this post several times, I hope you have seen it after the edits?
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: Service Pack 3   Service Pack 3 - Page 3 Empty9/30/2011, 00:31

Repa,

Of the 3 computer shops in our phone book, one was out of business, and, one was not even in town.

The 3rd. one said they would do the wipe, reinstall, and back up files, for $70 bucks.

I'm also gonna ask the shop when I call back, but, do you know if backing up Bookmarks, is considered as "Files"?
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

Number of posts : 2378
Humor : Age: Older than Dirt!
Registration date : 2008-09-19

PostSubject: Re: Service Pack 3   Service Pack 3 - Page 3 Empty9/30/2011, 08:37

wcturner wrote:
Repa,

I'm also gonna ask the shop when I call back, but, do you know if backing up Bookmarks, is considered as "Files"?

Yes
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Service Pack 3   Service Pack 3 - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Service Pack 3
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Geeks, Geeks and More Geeks :: Windows Computer Help :: Computer Discussion-
Jump to: