Geeks, Geeks and More Geeks
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THIS FORUM IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. SORRY! DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REGISTER; YOUR REQUEST WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

modem/router quesion

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
fay47
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
fay47

Number of posts : 1480
Registration date : 2008-10-17
Mood : none

modem/router quesion Empty
PostSubject: modem/router quesion   modem/router quesion Empty1/28/2012, 18:32

I thought I posted a question here a little while ago, but looks like it has disappeared. I hate to have to re-type it Sad
I may try to shorten and if you need more info will post.

Has to do with modems and routers.

I currently have a wired modem and a router with wireless capability that I use wired. I don't know much about the wireless stuff a friend helped me set up the security on in just in case and then we tuned the wireless part of.

My modem isd old and is DOCSIS 2.X. To take advantage of a special offer from my cable/internet company I need one with DOCISIS 3.X. I can rent it for 8.00 a monthly - but don't really want to take on more monthly expense.

I looked at some of the modems on WalMart site. The ones with 3.0 looked to be wireless and claim to be modem router combinations.

Are the modem/routere combinations as good as a separate modem and router?
Can the wireless modems also be used wired? Can the wireless be turned off?

Can't remember if this is all I asked before but will start with this.\

Fay

Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

Number of posts : 2378
Humor : Age: Older than Dirt!
Registration date : 2008-09-19

PostSubject: Re: modem/router quesion   modem/router quesion Empty1/28/2012, 20:48

The Motorola SBG6580 SURFboard Docsis 3.0 Wireless Gateway and the Zoom Telephonics DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem/Router both have ethernet ports, It doesn't say if you can turn off or disable the wifi. You'd have to check that. Some of the others did. But, you should be able to set it up very securely and should be able to specify that only computers with specific mac addresses can have access to the wifi. The mac address of your computer should be on a label or tag on the back of your computer or if not, you can find it by using the command line command ipconfig /all and it will be the Physical address, a 12 digit number in 6 pairs. In windows 7 there will be 2 mac addresses, one for wifi and one for ethernet. Make sure you get the physical address of the correct network adapter that you are using. On xp machines, you can get it directly with the getmac command.

I am using a speedstream 5200 modem/router for my dsl connection, and it works fine. I have a netgear access point for my wifi laptops that is connected to a linksys router that I am using as a switch instead of a router that is connected to the speedstream 5200. I use the wpa-psk security setting for the wifi access point, and the mac addresses of my laptops for access control. The linksys "switch" has 2 other computers connected to it via ethernet cables. It's a great network system, and I can access any computer from any other computer on my network, 4 in all.
Back to top Go down
fay47
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
fay47

PostSubject: Re: modem/router quesion   modem/router quesion Empty1/28/2012, 20:58

Repa,

So are you saying that a combination modem/router would be as good as a sepearte modem and router? I'll do some looking at the 2 you mentioned

Fay
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

PostSubject: Re: modem/router quesion   modem/router quesion Empty1/29/2012, 02:06

Definitely. I changed my linksys router into a switch because the speedstream 5200 had the router built in, and connecting 2 routers together causes major conflicts. I really like the setup I have, and it is very secure with the settings I'v chosen.
Back to top Go down
fay47
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
fay47

PostSubject: Re: modem/router quesion   modem/router quesion Empty1/29/2012, 18:47

I was poking around on CableOne's website and found a list of the modems they support. I had to go to WalMart today so thought I would just have a look at what they had in stock while I was there - and see if the modems they had were on the list. They did not have any modems in stock!!!. They had a few routers, but no modems. Oh well, I am not ready to do anything anyway. But I am really getting more and more frustrated with our WalMat.

Fay
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

PostSubject: Re: modem/router quesion   modem/router quesion Empty1/29/2012, 21:40

I've noticed that a lot of items the stores advertise these days are only available on line. Probably the case with the modems. You can have them order it in the store and pick up at the store when it comes in. I think it is returnable if not satisfied within the first 15 days after you receive it - that's on electronic items only.
Back to top Go down
fay47
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
fay47

PostSubject: Re: modem/router quesion   modem/router quesion Empty1/29/2012, 22:14

If I decide I want the higher speed internet - that is what I may end up doing - ordering. I think CABLEONE's special ends the end of this month. I may just wait and see what specials they have next. The spcial they are running would save me 5.00 a month for a year if I did not have to get a new modem. What I would gain is the higher speed, if I understnad the offer correctly from 5 to 50. But then after a year the price would increase - I am not sure to what. I am doing ok with the 5m speed. Guess I'll wait for for while and see what kind of offers they come up with next.

The town is pretty upset with CabeOne right now and there has been some talk, probably just talk, about trying to get another cable comapny in here.

If I decide to get my phone thru them I'll need a telephone modem. Don't know that I want to do that though. Dont like the idea of being without a phone if the cable goes off - or like a couple of years ago when we were without electricity for almost a week.

Hard to decided what to do Sad

Fay
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: modem/router quesion   modem/router quesion Empty

Back to top Go down

modem/router quesion
Page 1 of 1