Geeks, Geeks and More Geeks
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THIS FORUM IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. SORRY! DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REGISTER; YOUR REQUEST WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Avast Disabled

Go down 
2 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

Number of posts : 2378
Humor : Age: Older than Dirt!
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Avast Disabled - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Avast Disabled   Avast Disabled - Page 2 Empty3/2/2012, 01:13

wcturner wrote:
Repa,

I was looking over the about.com site you posted, and it mentions in one step system restore. Since the new 7 ver of avast came out last Sat. 2/25/12, what do you think about me undoing the SR I did the other day, where I restored back to Sat. 2/25/12(Undoing this one).?

And, then restoring back to Friday, 2/24/12. I assume that would put me back to Avast Ver 6, but at least the Avast Sheilds were not turning off. ? And, it would be a lot simpler than trying all those Steps.

What do you think? Would that work?

I doubt it. I had that as trying after changing the CMOS battery and checking your hard drive for errors, mainly as a last resort. I should have put it as step 4 rather than step 3, but I thought you might be reluctant to try the RAM memory check.

This is an EDIT at 10:37 PM CST: On the Fri, 2/24/12 day I installed the Java 6Update 31, and Java 6 Update 29 was removed, and Software Distribution Service 3.0 were all don on that day. If I restore back to 2/24/12, all this stuff will remain intact, right?

No. You would have to do them again.
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

Number of posts : 1165
Humor : Yes
Registration date : 2009-10-26

PostSubject: Re: Avast Disabled   Avast Disabled - Page 2 Empty3/4/2012, 00:41

1) Got 2 screen shots. In the Java extensions shot I enabled Java 6 Up 31, and Disabled Java 6 Up 29. Since Java might not be working correctly, do I leave the extensions as they are or reverse them, or leave both of them enabled?

2) I assume when I get Java (TM) 6 Update 31 working properly, I should delete the Java 6 Update 29?

Avast Disabled - Page 2 Java11

Avast Disabled - Page 2 J6upda10
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

PostSubject: Re: Avast Disabled   Avast Disabled - Page 2 Empty3/4/2012, 02:50

Leave the add-ons in Firefox alone. Something is corrupted in Java. Uninstall Java from Add/Remove Programs if it will let you. Download the latest Java from here into your My Downloads folder:

http://javadl.sun.com/webapps/download/AutoDL?BundleId=61043

Run the installation wizard you just downloaded to install Java.
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: Avast Disabled   Avast Disabled - Page 2 Empty3/4/2012, 17:01

Java seems to be OK after the installation from your link above. I like that download box from your link because it doesn't take you to another site. The little box just pops right up on this page.

Computer also seems to be working good today. I'll continue to monitor it a day or 2.

Thanks
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: Avast Disabled   Avast Disabled - Page 2 Empty3/5/2012, 00:22

Well, it looks like I spoke too soon. Last nite, after I finished the SR Undo, and today, I had no problems. Then, when I just logged into my Owner account, the Avast Icon had the Red X, signifying that the Shields were disabled. Then, I Rebooted the computer and when I logged in this time the Avast was Secured once again, and the Red X was gone.

I hope the questions below are clear, if not, please let me know.

1) Question: I had done 3 System Restores just before I began having the Avast Unsecured problems, or maybe it was after I began having the problems. Then last nite I "UnDid" the last Restore in Safe Mode. And now, when opening up, & looking at System Restore, the Restore I "Undid" last nite, in Safe Mode, still shows up on the date it was done, 3/02/12.
You may know the answer to this question, I don't. If I went into System Restore, and clicked "Undo" my last Restore, would it Undo the same one it "Undid" last nite while in Safe Mode, or would it move to the "Next" Restore, that took place before the SR that it "Undid" last nite? And, I don't even know that it would do any good or not, if it did move to the next Restore to be "Undo"

2) And, based on your answer from #1, I assume the next thing I should do is the 4 steps in your earlier post?

3) In my owners manual it says that after replacing the battery, to Run the BIOS SETUP PROGRAM to reset the date and time. I don't know if the BIOS setup just pops up automatically or what? If it does not, I don't know how to find the BIOS SETUP?

4) This is an Edit at 10:38 PM CST: The Start Up freezing problem seems to have been fixed, from the "UnDo" of last night. I'm gonna turn off the computer after I finish this edit, and turn it back on and see what it does now. If it freezes anymore on Start Up I'll let you know.

5) EDIT 11:38pm CST: Start Up just now worked OK.
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

PostSubject: Re: Avast Disabled   Avast Disabled - Page 2 Empty3/5/2012, 09:58

Do not do any more restores or undo's. Download the latest Avast program from here:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/downloadget.php?id=1968&file=15&evp=7a7be4dedb83870bca5491cd7c055287

and save it to your My Downloads folder.

Uninstall Avast in Add/Remove Programs and use the install wizard you just downloaded to install Avast. Hopefully, that will solve the problems you are having with Avast.

Hold off on changing the CMOS battery. Most computers don't need the BIOS clock settings changed from the defaults after changing the battery. Since yours seems to require this, it's talking about the cpu clock and memory timing, and I'll have to research that and not sure I can explain it to you - you'll have to go look at the settings in the bios before you change the battery so you can set them the same after changing the battery. Most bios can detect the CPU and Memory settings and set them automatically. Trust HP to be different! Just hold off for now, and after you reinstall avast run the error-checking routine on your hard drive.
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: Avast Disabled   Avast Disabled - Page 2 Empty3/5/2012, 20:25

I should be able to do the Download at major geeks in DMR's, can't I?
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

PostSubject: Re: Avast Disabled   Avast Disabled - Page 2 Empty3/5/2012, 22:51

yes
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: Avast Disabled   Avast Disabled - Page 2 Empty3/6/2012, 17:12

Repa,
1) After the Avast download at majorgeeks, and after Removing Avast from Add/Remove Programs (I wasn't used to the Avast thing popping up and having to click on "Uninstall to remove the program, I've never seen that type of removal before), a pop up appeared and wanted me to do a survey, so being without any AV protection I clicked no. Before I knew it Firefox opened up, and I X'ed out of it when I realized what happened. Was that something trying to take advantage of the absent AV program, or what?

2) When running the Avast set up Wizard, not sure what to expect, I chose Express Install with Default Settings. Tell me if I need to change them, and to what, if necessary? I did uncheck the box under the "Community" one that gives consent to let Avast take stuff Anonymously, and I left the bottom 2 boxes checked. Do I need to change any of that?

3) I refused the Avast 20 day free trial of the paid version of Avast. Was that good?

4) Do you know what Avast Android is? I avoided it, I just wondered about it.

5) I was offered one FF add on, when I clicked to open FF, and I allowed Avast Web Rap, because I remembered it. OK, right?

5b) I just looked at addons mgr. & I've still got Java Console 6.0.31 and NoScript 2.3.2.
Is that all the add ons I need?

6) It's Okay to delete the old version Avast setup 6 from My Downloads Files folder, is it not?
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

PostSubject: Re: Avast Disabled   Avast Disabled - Page 2 Empty3/6/2012, 18:23

Sounds like you are ok. I don't know what Avast Android is, and don't want it. Hang on to the old version of the Avast installation application for a week until you see you don't have problems with Version 7. You will have to register Avast within 30 days unless it picked up your old registration from the Alwil Software Folder in Program Files. To check your registration status, open Avast and Click Maintenance in the left column, then Registration. Check to see when it expires. If you need to register it within 30 days, there will be a Register Now button, Click it and follow directions given for submitting the registration request. You will get a code in your email after submitting the registration request that you will have to copy and paste into a place on this same page that will be obvious when the time comes to do it. Everything else sounds ok, don't mess with anything else you've mentioned above.
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: Avast Disabled   Avast Disabled - Page 2 Empty3/6/2012, 19:51

I was wondering about the registration as the install progressed. At the end it popped up so, I was gonna register. But, as I was doing so it kept saying that my email and password was taken, so, i assumed then that it was meaning where I had jut recently registered. That's when I noticed "do you already have an account" I clicked it and smooth sailing after that.

And speaking of the avast codes, I haven't had to use a code since I first installed Avast whenever it was, along time ago, at least. That I'm glad of.

Have you had to use the codes recently?

I'm glad I asked you about the old version set up, because I almost deleted it.
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

PostSubject: Re: Avast Disabled   Avast Disabled - Page 2 Empty3/7/2012, 01:21

You have to re-register once each year after the initial install.
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: Avast Disabled   Avast Disabled - Page 2 Empty3/7/2012, 01:27

I 'm referring to the code, or key, such as when I first installed it, but I haven't had to use it since the first time. Like today, all I had to do was type in my email and PW., no key or code number.
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: Avast Disabled   Avast Disabled - Page 2 Empty3/7/2012, 16:11

1) I chose Express Install with Default Settings when doing the Avast setup yesterday. When scheduling my Daily Scans, I unchecked the 2 boxes that mentioned "don't scan on Batteries", and the one that said "Pause scan if Batteries mode begins". I don't know what that means, but is it OK to leave it unchecked, or not?

2) Should I change any of the Settings that's included in the Express Install with Default Settings?

3) When I turned on computer an Update was available for Avast Ver. 7.0.1426. Isn't it kinda soon , since the last version was about 2 weeks ago? I installed it. I thought it would have installed automatically?
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

PostSubject: Re: Avast Disabled   Avast Disabled - Page 2 Empty3/7/2012, 16:48

wcturner wrote:
1) I chose Express Install with Default Settings when doing the Avast setup yesterday. When scheduling my Daily Scans, I unchecked the 2 boxes that mentioned "don't scan on Batteries", and the one that said "Pause scan if Batteries mode begins". I don't know what that means, but is it OK to leave it unchecked, or not?

it's talking about if your computer is a laptop. Since you have a desktop, doesn't matter.

2) Should I change any of the Settings that's included in the Express Install with Default Settings?

They should be ok.

3) When I turned on computer an Update was available for Avast Ver. 7.0.1426. Isn't it kinda soon , since the last version was about 2 weeks ago? I installed it. I thought it would have installed automatically?

You can go into Maintenance > Undate > Settings (top right of screen) > Updates, and under program there is an option you can select to have the update done automatically. I prefer to have it notify me so I can monitor the update and see if it goes well or if anything goes wrong. That's likely what happened to your computer and my wife's when the update occurred automatically back when - didn't end right and you got the Avast unsecured warning.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Avast Disabled   Avast Disabled - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Avast Disabled
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2