Geeks, Geeks and More Geeks
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THIS FORUM IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. SORRY! DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REGISTER; YOUR REQUEST WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Organizing Files

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
angelface1961
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
angelface1961

Number of posts : 579
Registration date : 2009-01-10
Mood : fine

Organizing Files Empty
PostSubject: Organizing Files   Organizing Files Empty9/30/2012, 11:27

In the season of fall cleaning my house, I also do it with my computer. usually do it around the time I change the clocks and batteries in my smoke alarms.

Was just curious how you organize your files. And thought I could learn something new.

My Pictures-- Important ones I save on a jump drive (what is the other name for this? Old age stinks, grrr) Other ones, not as important, but I want to save are on Photobucket. I set this to private so no one can really see them.

My Files--now this is harder. I have Main heading Folders and then sub headings from there. I need to get these on a jump drive but need to spend some major time organizing these more.

I guess this is where your tips will help. What headings do you use? How do you find what you need fast? What programs or jumpdrives do you use? Any better or worse??
Back to top Go down
fay47
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
fay47

Number of posts : 1480
Registration date : 2008-10-17
Mood : none

Organizing Files Empty
PostSubject: Re: Organizing Files   Organizing Files Empty9/30/2012, 15:06

HI Holly,

I don't mind telling you what I do but that does not mean it is right for you or anyone else. And I tend to redo things as I decide I don't like things the way I have them.

I have a much larger hard drive than I will ever need. I created partitions on it. Probably over did it. Was kind of playing around at first. Then decided I kind of liked it. Not sure if there are reasons that it should not be done.

1. partion for my pictures, sound files etc
have flders for
pictures
have a bit of trouble figuring how to orgnaize these
sounds
video

2. partions for things that are not real important or that I can get again
this tends to be things like stuff from classes I have takn, mnauls I have downloaded
thing I am trying out to see how work etc.
here are just a few of the folders I have
computer_examples_insturctins
computer_manuals_etc
misc_manuals

3. the main partition for my data - here are just some of the fodlers I have
DOWNLOADS
WORK - some work related stuff
FamilyInfo
MYDIR - folder for some apps I wrote including the way I keep my checkbook
MYINFO
ruther devided for some of my importatn information for example
EMERGENCY
docuemtns I worte up with instruciton incase on my death or seriou illness
CONTACTS
phone/address of family and frieumd
faminly and friend phone nubmers and contact informtion for varius things

I have more folders than above, that is just an example of some of the things I have.

I use SANDISK jump drive - but that is just beucase that is waht WalMart had LOL

You did not ask this but though I would go ahead and say a litle about my hackup.
I backup to an external dive. It came with some backup software that I used for a while. But I found one that I think I like better called BACK4SURE. One thing I like about it, there is an optiont to have it delete files fro the backup that have been delete on the original. I like that option. It only backsup what has been changed since the last backup. THe files have to be closed for it to be able to back them up, but when it finished you can get a list of the ones it did not backupk, close them, and backup agian.
It was free.

I also use MacriumRelect Fee to create a system image every once in a while, if I have been installing/uninstalling stuff. I create that on the external hard drive also. It lets you create an emergenc boot cd that you can use in an emergeny. All you can do from it is resotre the disk from teh system imate you created. If you have a hard dirve crash and have to get a new one, it can be used to resotere the new drive the same way the old one was (it has to be as large as the old one).

Not sure this is what you wanted to know - but like I said, the way I do things is not necessarily the way other people would want to.

Fay
Back to top Go down
fay47
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
fay47

Organizing Files Empty
PostSubject: Re: Organizing Files   Organizing Files Empty9/30/2012, 15:09

Holly,

On the jump drives, I like the ones that have the retractable end. I have no doubt I would promptly lose the cap on one.

Fay
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

Number of posts : 2378
Humor : Age: Older than Dirt!
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Organizing Files Empty
PostSubject: Re: Organizing Files   Organizing Files Empty10/1/2012, 20:45

I organize by folders > sub-folders > sub-folders of sub-folders as shown here:

Organizing Files Untitl10

This shows how my E:\ partition is organized.

I have a 16GB flash drive that I use to transfer large files between my computers and also use it as an extension of RAM on my Windows 7 machines. I have a 2TB network storage unit that I use to backup my folders and files from my computers. I haven't liked the backup routine I'm using, so I'm going to give the one you use a shot, Fay. I also make an image backup of each partition on each computer to my Network storage unit using Macrium Reflect every so often in case I lose a hard drive.
Back to top Go down
fay47
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
fay47

Organizing Files Empty
PostSubject: Re: Organizing Files   Organizing Files Empty10/1/2012, 21:39

Repa,

Let me know what you think of the backup and if you find a free one you like better. I just kind of stumbled across it. I like it because of the feature you can select to cleanup deleted files.

At first I was not so sure about it becuase I was getting errors. Discovered it gave a list of the errors, I could go back, close the open files and rerun. But it was getting some other errors also - that were system files on the C partition. I just eliminated the C drive from this backup since I moved my data off of it. Still had to eliminate a few files\folders from the other partitions but they were nothing I needed a backup of - like System Volume Information. I have not had to restore from it yet.
It does not really have a restore - you just copy back the folders\files you want.

Fay
Back to top Go down
fay47
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
fay47

Organizing Files Empty
PostSubject: Re: Organizing Files   Organizing Files Empty10/1/2012, 23:30

I forgot to say - that I don't think there is a way to schedule backups with back4sure. THat is ok with me, since I don't normally do that anyway. I kind of like to control when things run.

Fay
Back to top Go down
fay47
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
fay47

Organizing Files Empty
PostSubject: Re: Organizing Files   Organizing Files Empty10/19/2012, 18:35

Holly,

Have you decided how you want to organize your files?

Fay
Back to top Go down
angelface1961
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
angelface1961

Number of posts : 579
Registration date : 2009-01-10
Mood : fine

Organizing Files Empty
PostSubject: Re: Organizing Files   Organizing Files Empty10/22/2012, 07:25

LOL sorta got sick and have not done anything but basic anything. I ha ve started going through what is in My Documents to see what is actually there.

With the whole unemployment thing I have lots saved from the temp jobs I had and the resumes in progress and am trying to decide how important some of it is to save. Once oyu get rid of it it is not possible to get it back... Oh man, am I a horder?

Working through it and then will look at the program you suggested Back4sure. That sounds interesting. Just need to be in better brain function than I am now.
Back to top Go down
fay47
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
fay47

Organizing Files Empty
PostSubject: Re: Organizing Files   Organizing Files Empty10/22/2012, 09:44

Holly,

Whey not get a jump drive to store them on They are pretty cheakp - saw some 8G ones for under 10.00, 4g and 2g chepaer. Or burn them to DVD.

Good luck on organizing.

Fay
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Organizing Files Empty
PostSubject: Re: Organizing Files   Organizing Files Empty

Back to top Go down

Organizing Files
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Geeks, Geeks and More Geeks :: Windows Computer Help :: Computer Discussion-
Jump to: