Geeks, Geeks and More Geeks
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THIS FORUM IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. SORRY! DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REGISTER; YOUR REQUEST WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Another Trojan Horse

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

Number of posts : 1165
Humor : Yes
Registration date : 2009-10-26

Another Trojan Horse Empty
PostSubject: Another Trojan Horse   Another Trojan Horse Empty12/15/2012, 17:20

Hey Repa, Take a look please.

Another Trojan Horse Trojan10

Another Trojan Horse Infect10

1. Please tell me if this is correct or not. When Avast blocks a Trojan like this, the way I understand it is that all is OK, but don't go back to the website that u were on when the Avast Block took place?

2. Is there anything I should do now, such as running an Avast Boottime scan, or anything else I need to now???

3. As you might have surmised, my wife has been on my freshly cleaned computer, again. She searched reindeer on yahoo. I've tried to impress upon her the dangers of going to this type of sites, even though Site Advisor gives a "Green" lite to a site.

Correct me if I'm wrong? But, I tell her that these "free" sites, like the reindeer site, & ones that offer free "smileys, free screen savers, etc., that these sites lure you there with these "goodies" & then when you download this stuff, included in the package are these "bad guy" trojans, etc. She is doing some better, but, this Christmas thing, I guess, is getting the best of her!

Can you add anything else that I can stress to her, about these trojan type bad guys, that might make her think twice before going to these "Freebie" sites even though Site Advisor says they are OK??
Thanks

Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

Number of posts : 2378
Humor : Age: Older than Dirt!
Registration date : 2008-09-19

PostSubject: Re: Another Trojan Horse   Another Trojan Horse Empty12/15/2012, 19:00

wcturner wrote:
Hey Repa, Take a look please.

Another Trojan Horse Trojan10

Another Trojan Horse Infect10

1. Please tell me if this is correct or not. When Avast blocks a Trojan like this, the way I understand it is that all is OK, but don't go back to the website that u were on when the Avast Block took place?

Yes.

2. Is there anything I should do now, such as running an Avast Boottime scan, or anything else I need to now???

Run ccleaner and then run quick scans of malwarebytes and superantispyware and if you find anything, run full scans after quarantining what you found. You should be ok, but make the runs just to be sure.

3. As you might have surmised, my wife has been on my freshly cleaned computer, again. She searched reindeer on yahoo. I've tried to impress upon her the dangers of going to this type of sites, even though Site Advisor gives a "Green" lite to a site.

Correct me if I'm wrong? But, I tell her that these "free" sites, like the reindeer site, & ones that offer free "smileys, free screen savers, etc., that these sites lure you there with these "goodies" & then when you download this stuff, included in the package are these "bad guy" trojans, etc. She is doing some better, but, this Christmas thing, I guess, is getting the best of her!

You are absolutely correct.

Can you add anything else that I can stress to her, about these trojan type bad guys, that might make her think twice before going to these "Freebie" sites even though Site Advisor says they are OK??

Rather than getting all stressed out everytime your wife gets on your computer, why don't you plug your old computer into an extra port on the back of your Router/modem if there is one and let her use that one? Then, if she picks up malware, it won't be on your new computer. If there is no extra ethernet port there, then spend a few bucks and go get yourself an ethernet hub. Go get one of these here:

http://www.walmart.com/search/search-ng.do?search_query=ethernet+hub&ic=16_0&Find=Find&search_constraint=0

I recommend one of the 5 port gigabit ethernet hubs (10/100/1000mbps), but if you want to go cheaper, get one of the other 5 port fast ethernet hubs (10/100mbps) - 2 of them are under under $20. There is nothing to the setup either way. If you have the extra ports on your router/modem, just plug your old computer in and turn it on and you're done. If you buy an ethernet hub, plug both computers into it, and run a 3rd cable from the uplink port of the hub (usually the last port - instructions will tell you) to your router/modem. That's all there is to it.

Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

Number of posts : 1165
Humor : Yes
Registration date : 2009-10-26

PostSubject: Re: Another Trojan Horse   Another Trojan Horse Empty12/16/2012, 01:47

If she won't behave, I'll have to consider using the old computer, & I didn't even know about the ethernet hub thing.

Tha only thing about using the the old computer is if she got a virus on it, then it would be considered "my job" to "Disinfect" it.

Using an old computer like you suggested, could my printer be used with it?
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

Number of posts : 2378
Humor : Age: Older than Dirt!
Registration date : 2008-09-19

PostSubject: Re: Another Trojan Horse   Another Trojan Horse Empty12/16/2012, 09:41

wcturner wrote:
If she won't behave, I'll have to consider using the old computer, & I didn't even know about the ethernet hub thing.

Tha only thing about using the the old computer is if she got a virus on it, then it would be considered "my job" to "Disinfect" it.

Using an old computer like you suggested, could my printer be used with it?

Of course, she can print to it with it connected to your computer by turning on file and print sharing and setting up both computers on your network, which is no big deal - you just change the workgroup name to the same name on both computers and add the printer to the old computer in the control panel. If you decide you want to do this, I'll tell you how when you are ready to do it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Another Trojan Horse   Another Trojan Horse Empty

Back to top Go down

Another Trojan Horse
Page 1 of 1