Geeks, Geeks and More Geeks
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THIS FORUM IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. SORRY! DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REGISTER; YOUR REQUEST WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

trying to restore e-mail

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
fay47
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
fay47

Number of posts : 1480
Registration date : 2008-10-17
Mood : none

trying to restore e-mail Empty
PostSubject: trying to restore e-mail   trying to restore e-mail Empty11/23/2013, 19:11

I like to use an e-mail client thought I do not have to, it is what I prefer what I was doing when I had the trouble.

I had my e-mail backed up thru about the middle of AUG with back4sure.

I set up windows live mail,  and copied the backup into the store location.  

Works ok. Looks like all  my e-mail is there.  I have them spread out thru a number of folders.

Problem comes when I connect it to my gmail account (actually thru my isp).  Had to look at instructions from ISP to see how to do that- had to enable IMAP.  When I do that and open windows live - it starts trying to down load everything, or apperas to.  Looks like it is causing me to end up with duplicte e-mails.

I deleted it all out - disabled IMAP for now, and copied back in my backup.  So looks ok right now.

But when I enable IMAP it will try to download everything again.  Do you know anyway of having it only download things since a certain date- I did not see an options for that.  I only want it to download stuff I received after the crash.

You probably do not have this type of  setup, so if you do not know, don't worry about it.  You are just such a wealth of knowledge, though I might check and see if you might now a trick to it.  (When I enable IMAP, I did not see a place to put a date).

Again if you do not know, don't worry about it,

(How does IMAP know what has already been downloaded)

Thanks,  Fay
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

Number of posts : 2378
Humor : Age: Older than Dirt!
Registration date : 2008-09-19

PostSubject: Re: trying to restore e-mail   trying to restore e-mail Empty11/23/2013, 23:12

You're right, I would never use an email client. I used to, but never again!

I just read that you should be using POP with Gmail and Outlook. POP has 2 settings, 1) to download everything, even if it has already been downloaded and 2) to download mail that arrives from now on. Here's the link I was looking at:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/web-apps-help/turn-on-pop-or-imap-access-to-connect-to-another-account-HA103002160.aspx

Now, here are some pretty detailed instructions for using both IMAP and POP with Gmail and Outlook:

http://email.about.com/od/outlooktips/qt/et_get_gmail.htm

Hope this helps!

Last edited by Repa on 11/24/2013, 17:47; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
fay47
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
fay47

PostSubject: Re: trying to restore e-mail   trying to restore e-mail Empty11/23/2013, 23:16

Repa,

The instructions from my ISP (cableone) recommends IMAP, but they do have POP as an option.
I'll read the links you provided and try to decide what to do.
I am using windows live,  do not have outlook, but guess it should be aout the same.

Thanks
Fay

Well I think I messed up.  May just have to forget about restoring my e-mail -  I should KNOW better than to work when I am so tired.  I will have a look tomorrow but may just forget it-  probably not worth stressing myself out about

edit again

May be ok. I am thinking seriously about doing the POP instead of IMAP although they recommend IMAP. I ended up accidently deleting all the oldere-mail from gmail. Thankfully I have the backrsure backup of that - up thru about mid august. Looks like the newer ones are still one the server. I recopied in the bckup into the store -and I think I looks pretty good thru mid AUG. Then maybe tomorrow - I will set up POP and hopefully it will download the rest .
I think the problem was that I was logged into GMAIL -using IMAP at the same time I was manipulating the store -anyway when I was messing with the store I think I deleted form GMAIL -if I understand it POP will not do that .

Getting read to quite messing with this for the night though.

Fay
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

Number of posts : 2378
Humor : Age: Older than Dirt!
Registration date : 2008-09-19

PostSubject: Re: trying to restore e-mail   trying to restore e-mail Empty11/24/2013, 14:40

It occurred to me after I went to bed last night: why don't you just export the email files from your old computer and import them onto your new computer? Unless I don't understand your setup, you can do that in windows live. There are 2 links I found that address what I think you want to do; pick the one that is easiest to follow for you, if this is what will work and make it easier for you to accomplish what you want to do:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-live/mail-import-backup-restore

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook-help/import-email-messages-from-windows-live-mail-HA102029124.aspx

Back to top Go down
fay47
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
fay47

PostSubject: Re: trying to restore e-mail   trying to restore e-mail Empty11/24/2013, 16:24

Thanks Repa,

BY time I got back here, I had it done- or  at least think I do.
The backup I had worked fine -for the e-mail I had backed up. Just had to copy the stored directory   Back4sure had into the right place in USERS.  (I have moved it to a partition I created instead of using the one on C)  
But there were newer e-mail on the server I needed- problem was trying to get the new ones with out downloading the old ones also.
I could not just used a full server download because I had them organized into a number of folders in WLM but not on server.  Using the backup preserved that.

Playing around with things (when I was tying to use IMAP) I accidently deleted the old ones from the server.   Actually helped it when I am trying to do.
I changed from imap to pop because I did not want it to affect the things on the server when I am doing stuff in WLM.

Finally - deleted the old store - copied in my back- set thing to use POP and let in download.  I think it look ok, at least as good as  am going to get it.
If POP goes away not sure how I will ever get things straightened out.
Had several mishaps along the way- had to repeat the procedure several times to get it right Sad

Hope this makes sense.

I think I now have it close enough.

Thinks for your input about POP -  I must have been using POP before but not sure.  Like I said ISP suggested IMAP but at least for now I think POP will work better for me.

Thanks again
Fay

P.S. I hate using GMAIL interface.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: trying to restore e-mail   trying to restore e-mail Empty

Back to top Go down

trying to restore e-mail
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Geeks, Geeks and More Geeks :: Windows Computer Help :: Computer Discussion-