Geeks, Geeks and More Geeks
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THIS FORUM IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. SORRY! DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REGISTER; YOUR REQUEST WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Excel 2007 and external data connections

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
fay47
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
fay47

Number of posts : 1480
Registration date : 2008-10-17
Mood : none

Excel 2007 and  external data connections Empty
PostSubject: Excel 2007 and external data connections   Excel 2007 and  external data connections Empty10/28/2014, 23:14

I am just playing around trying to figure out how some things work. I have changed my own FoxPro check system to "export" some data into excel, then pull into a pivot table. I can then use that as a report, which is easier for some things, than reporting in reporting in Fox Pro.
I started playing around with trying to do something similar with out using a pivot table. I found how to create an external connection to my FoxPro free table, and set up an Excel spread sheet that would pull in that data by the external connection. I still have a lot to learn about it, but did manage to get it to work.

If I open a blank spread sheet and click on Existing Connections, it will show me a list of connections that have been set up. I set up some while trying to figure out how it works -so I have several things showing.
What I am wondering if there is a way to find out where each connections is used, that is , what workbook it is used in. I think most of them are just junk from when I was playing around. Or is there a way of finding which workbooks use an external connection? If so then I could check that workbook to see what connection it uses.

From what I have read, the way external connections are handled may have changed in EXCEL 2007.

If you can not answer pretty easily that is ok. Just thought I would check in case you could
Hope my question makes sense.

Thanks

Fay
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

Number of posts : 2378
Humor : Age: Older than Dirt!
Registration date : 2008-09-19

PostSubject: Re: Excel 2007 and external data connections   Excel 2007 and  external data connections Empty10/30/2014, 19:02

Fay, I googled the following: "finding which excel workbooks use an external connection" and a lot of links came up. Maybe one of them has the information you are looking for.
Back to top Go down
fay47
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
fay47

Number of posts : 1480
Registration date : 2008-10-17
Mood : none

PostSubject: Re: Excel 2007 and external data connections   Excel 2007 and  external data connections Empty10/30/2014, 20:23

Repa.

Yeah. I did quite a bit of googling but encountered the same things. Nothing I found was what I was looking for. To me it does not seem such a strange thing to want to do, but maybe it is. Sad

Thanks for trying to help.

Fay
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Excel 2007 and external data connections   Excel 2007 and  external data connections Empty

Back to top Go down

Excel 2007 and external data connections
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Geeks, Geeks and More Geeks :: Other Help Forums :: Microsoft Office-
Jump to: