Geeks, Geeks and More Geeks
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THIS FORUM IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. SORRY! DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REGISTER; YOUR REQUEST WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

secuity and win 8.1

Go down 
2 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
fay47
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
fay47

Number of posts : 1480
Registration date : 2008-10-17
Mood : none

secuity and win 8.1 Empty
PostSubject: secuity and win 8.1   secuity and win 8.1 Empty11/21/2014, 02:18

I have ordered a tablet winbook tw801 - Supposed to be in tomorrow. It has full version of windows 8.1
Not sure how I will like it, might be a bit small and I am really not sure about 8.1 but I did kind of want windows.

Do not know if you can help or not, and if not that is ok.
It comes with windows defender that I think on 8.1 includes virus protection but I really not sure about it.
Wondering if I should load and run some of the same things on it that I do on my 7 machine - avast ,spybot etc?

This is kind of an early Christmas present to my self. LOL

I will use it when I want to get away from the computer , and go to another room ,but still keep watch on FB etc, maybe play some games like Mahjong, Spider, if it comes on it or I can load on it.

Will probably not be doing a lot on it, but since I do plan on browsing the net and using FB etc, security will still be a concern.

I can not remember if you have had any experienced with 8.1 or not.

Thanks
Fay

Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

Number of posts : 2378
Humor : Age: Older than Dirt!
Registration date : 2008-09-19

PostSubject: Re: secuity and win 8.1   secuity and win 8.1 Empty11/21/2014, 13:03

Yes, my niece has a laptop with Windows 8.1 on it. I don't particularly care for it - difficult to navigate at first, but I guess I could get used to it. I like Windows 7 much better. Windows 8 with a lot of bloatware and stuff that calls home and gets called from home. You'll need to uncheck most of the exceptions in the Firewall if you don't want that happening all the time, and get rid of the bloatware and games like Wild Tangent, and anything else that isn't necessary. I've rewritten tuts 4 and 6 to match up better with Windows 7 and 8. Tut#4 is the routine maintenance one, Tut#6 is the malware removal tut. There you will find the list of programs I recommend you use for each task and in Tut #4 the maintenance schedule I recommend. I would advice getting rid of the Antivirus program that comes with the computer that you will eventually have to pay for to keep using and use Avast as your antivirus and Windows Defender as your realtime malware blocker.
Back to top Go down
fay47
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
fay47

PostSubject: Re: secuity and win 8.1   secuity and win 8.1 Empty11/21/2014, 16:36

Repa,

Just got my tablet a few minutes ago. Have it charging now.
I may have misunderstood , but I thought what I read said the Defender on 8.1 included an anti-virus- guess I will have to check and see if that is true and if it can be turned off.
It says it is a full version of 8.1 , but since it is a tablet an only has 2Gof Ram, not sure if it has all the extras , guess I will find out once it is charged up.
I really did not want 8 or 8.1 but I wanted a low cost table and really wanted windows, and this is what I happened to find. Not sure if it was a good choice or not.
I will have to check out those tutorials and maybe print them off.
Hope I can muddle my way thru getting everything including wireless network setup on this laptop. I can not even find a manual for the table, it came with a quickstart quide , maybe that will be enough along with online instructions for 8.1 and your info.
It says it can take 3-5 hours to charge.
Most of the reviews I read for this little table were pretty good (of course some negative ones) but never know about the reviews.
2 of the pluses were a full version of windows (event though it is 8.1 and of course it is jus regular not pro or anything) and a full size USB port and a micro hdmi port. Some say that plugged i a usb hub to it. Others say they also, plugged in a monitor , and used it like a desktop - I have no intention of doing that - not why I got it.
Just hope I can figure 8.1 out. Security is a big concern- so thanks for your help.
Other thing I do not know about is making rescue /restore disk -it does not have a cd/dvd drive and I do not have a portable drive. Was hoping the tablet manual might offer some suggestions but as I said have not been able to find a manual.

Thanks again
Fay
Back to top Go down
fay47
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
fay47

PostSubject: Re: secuity and win 8.1   secuity and win 8.1 Empty11/21/2014, 23:53

Well, think I am losing my mind. I am "sure" I made a fairly long post in another thread asking some question - including about games on 8.1 But can not find the post -so maybe I just typed it and never did the send- I do not know. And of course I did not save what I typed Sad

On win 7 I play spider and mahjong quite a bit - the ones that came with it. I can not find then or any desktop games on 8.1 Was finally able to download form the Microsoft store a free version of spider - but it has adds. By time I got it done was goo tired to try it out.
Both 8.1 and the tablet touch screen are giving me fits.

Can you tell me anything about the 8.1 desktop games like spider and mahjong?
Can you give any advice on restoring if the need comes up - without the ability to create a bootable dvd to get to they sytstem image (I am going to try to create the image -but not sure how I would ever get to it)

Beginning to think a table and 8.1 was maybe not such a good idea. Sad
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

PostSubject: Re: secuity and win 8.1   secuity and win 8.1 Empty11/22/2014, 11:53

Well, I don't know much about the tablets. Windows 8.1 came with a bunch of unnecessary apps on my niece's laptop, just like on my wife's Ipad.

Windows Defender is basically Windows Security Essentials (WSE) by another name... except for the time when it wasn't. Windows Defender is included in Windows 8. The software on my niece's computer had Windows Defender in its own folder under Program Files, plus Norton or McAfee, I forget which - there was a trial anti-virus that you would have to pay for to keep using after 3 or 6 months, which I removed and installed Avast.

If you have Windows Security Essentials, I have worked on more than one computer using WSE that was riddled with malware. I removed WSE and installed Avast along with the downloadable Windows Defender if it wasn't already there, and the other scanners and applications in Tuts 4 and 6, gave them instructions found in Tut 4 and have never heard from them again over the years. For one thing, Windows Security Essentials does not update its definitions every day, sometimes not for several days or even up to a week. Windows Defender is the same and may be WSE by another name on 8.1, but what I did on my niece's laptop (Avast & Windows Defender) seems to be working very well.

Windows 8.1 also had HP games on her laptop, Wild Tangent games, and Microsoft games on my niece's computer. I removed all but the Microsoft games. Mahjong is ok and I think Spider is a Microsoft game.

I would use adwcleaner to get off any unwanted toolbars and BHOs from Windows 8, and they are there, you can count on it! But don't just clean after a scan without reviewing the checked items and googling any you aren't sure of, and unchecking any that you don't want removed. There is a bunch of tabs now for different parts of your system that you need to look under to see what it found and wants to remove.

Check your firewall exceptions - all you need for you home network is File and Print Sharing, Avast NG front end, Core Networking, and Network Discovery as allowed exceptions. Uncheck all the others.

As far as creating a backup and restoring 8.1, you may have to back it up to the Cloud or if that option isn't available, on one of your other computers or an external drive as you have before. Check the Control Panel for Recovery options and look to see if you have a recovery mode or a reset option. Tablets are different than the desktops and laptops, so I can't know what you have without seeing your tablet. System Restore is the easiest way to backup your computer as long as it will boot up into Normal or Safe Mode. I've noticed that in Win 7 and 8 it does not appear to create an automatic daily restore point, so try to remember to do a manual one yourself.

Download the user's guide for your particular tablet and look there for answers to your questions, and google your questions as well. I'll try to help if you get stuck, if I can.
Back to top Go down
fay47
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
fay47

PostSubject: Re: secuity and win 8.1   secuity and win 8.1 Empty11/22/2014, 14:57

Repea,

I am having a hard time finding things- not fond of 8.1
This came with WIndows Defender and from what I can tell  does not have Windows Essentials.
It seems to say, and from what I have read by googling, that  Defender on 8.1 includes Anti_virus.
I would like to turn in off and install AVAST -.
SO I am a bit confused on Defender -  I do not see away to turn of real time protection for just antivirus in  Defender

On the Defenders interface screen it refers to   Virus and spyware definitions being updated

I found this on a Microsoft site about  win 8
Quote :
Antivirus protection now included for your PC

In Windows 8, Windows Defender replaces Microsoft Security Essentials. Windows Defender runs in the background and notifies you when you need to take specific action. However, you can use it anytime to scan for malware if your computer isn’t working properly or you clicked a suspicious link online or in an email message.

Found this on another site:
Quote :
Please note that you cannot install Microsoft Security Essentials in Windows 8 or 8.1. If you choose to install any other real-time anti-virus program (such as avast! Free Antivirus), Windows Defender will be automatically turned off - there is no point in hogging system resources by running multiple virus protection software.

SO I do not know if I should use  both Defender and AVAST or if I even can, what do you think.   Should I turn off Defender (which I think would turn off the malware also).  Groan, why does this all have to be so complicated?

Thanks

Last edited by fay47 on 11/22/2014, 15:16; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
fay47
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
fay47

PostSubject: Re: secuity and win 8.1   secuity and win 8.1 Empty11/22/2014, 14:58

Do you know if it is possible to get back the old versions of  Spider and Mahjong?

I do not like the version of Spider  that I downloaded form Microsoft  Store- and unless I pay for it, it has add

Never mind about this one. -Will make do with what I downloaded form the store. Would have deleted this but it would not let me.

Last edited by fay47 on 11/22/2014, 21:21; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
fay47
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
fay47

PostSubject: Re: secuity and win 8.1   secuity and win 8.1 Empty11/22/2014, 15:34

Repa,

Betweem the difference with the tablet and the differences with 8.1  urghhhh

The quick start users guide that came with the table has every little information.  I have googled trying to find a better one that I can download but so far can not.

Have not idea how I would boot into safe mode since there are no keys I can press.

The touchscreen drives me nuts, not having much luck using it, so connected a USB mouse - it has a regular 3.0 usb port.
Thinking I may need to get a USB  hub so that I can have the mouse and external drive at the same time.
I think I probably need a AC powered hub- what do you think?
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

PostSubject: Re: secuity and win 8.1   secuity and win 8.1 Empty11/23/2014, 01:24

fay47 wrote:
Repea,

I am having a hard time finding things- not fond of 8.1
This came with WIndows Defender and from what I can tell  does not have Windows Essentials.
It seems to say, and from what I have read by googling, that  Defender on 8.1 includes Anti_virus.
I would like to turn in off and install AVAST -.
SO I am a bit confused on Defender -  I do not see away to turn of real time protection for just antivirus in  Defender

On the Defenders interface screen it refers to   Virus and spyware definitions being updated

I found this on a Microsoft site about  win 8
Quote :
Antivirus protection now included for your PC

In Windows 8, Windows Defender replaces Microsoft Security Essentials. Windows Defender runs in the background and notifies you when you need to take specific action. However, you can use it anytime to scan for malware if your computer isn’t working properly or you clicked a suspicious link online or in an email message.

Found this on another site:
Quote :
Please note that you cannot install Microsoft Security Essentials in Windows 8 or 8.1. If you choose to install any other real-time anti-virus program (such as avast! Free Antivirus), Windows Defender will be automatically turned off - there is no point in hogging system resources by running multiple virus protection software.

SO I do not know if I should use  both Defender and AVAST or if I even can,   what do you think.   Should I turn off Defender (which I think would turn off the malware also).  Groan, why does this all have to be so complicated?

Thanks

I don't know for sure since I don't have my niece's laptop handy. I'll have to do some research on this - seems that I remember them both working together on 8.1, but maybe not. I'd go with Avast if it comes down to using only one of them.
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

PostSubject: Re: secuity and win 8.1   secuity and win 8.1 Empty11/23/2014, 01:28

fay47 wrote:
Do you know if it is possible to get back the old versions of  Spider and Mahjong?

I do not like the version of Spider  that I downloaded form Microsoft  Store- and unless I pay for it, it has add

Never mind about this one.  -Will make do with what I downloaded form the store.  Would have deleted this but it would not let me.

No, don't know anything at all about games. I have no interest in them. If your tablet is returnable, you might like the Ipad better - my wife loves hers and has all kinds of games and books to read on it. It's more expensive though!

Just a thought - if you put iTunes on your tablet, you can get a lot of apps and games that way, I think, and maybe ones more suited to what you like. Worth looking into anyway.
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

PostSubject: Re: secuity and win 8.1   secuity and win 8.1 Empty11/23/2014, 01:34

fay47 wrote:
Repa,

Betweem the difference with the tablet and the differences with 8.1  urghhhh

The quick start users guide that came with the table has every little information.  I have googled trying to find a better one that I can download but so far can not.

Have not idea how I would boot into safe mode since there are no keys I can press.

The touchscreen drives me nuts, not having much luck using it, so connected a USB mouse - it has a regular 3.0 usb port.
Thinking I may need to get a USB  hub so that I can have the mouse and external drive at the same time.
I think I probably need a  AC powered hub- what do you think?

You should be able to get a keyboard that your tablet mounts to - the Ipad has one for less than $100, and several other tablets do too, I think. What Tablet is it that you have specifically - make and model?

I have a 4 port USB hub that I sometimes use on my laptops when I run out of ports. I got it at walmart for I think less than $15. It is not an AC powered hub - gets its power from the laptop USB port. It is very small, just kind of hangs on there but you can have up to 4 connections.
Back to top Go down
fay47
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
fay47

PostSubject: Re: secuity and win 8.1   secuity and win 8.1 Empty11/23/2014, 02:04

Repa,

The one I got is kind of an off brand Winbook Tw801. I wanted to keep the cost down - did not want to pay much over 175. Probably will not be out the money to get the keyboard. Kind of liked the idea of having Windows as the OS, you are supposed to be able to install and run program same as on any other computer with 8.1. But I do not like 8.1, but not sure I would like any of the other OS's that I do not know anything about either.
I will probably go ahead and see about a USB hub. I will not use it often, but I want to be able to use another device, like external drive in addition to my mouse when I need to. What I am wondering about, is if there will be enough power to run my external drive, or other devices that need 2 usb connections. The tablet only has just one USB port. I do not know if a USB hub plugged into the one port would have enough power to run devices that use 2 ports. I think when I was looking at ports I saw one that said it got its power from the usb ports but it required 2 usb ports to plug into.
Oh well, I will figure out something.

I will probably follow your suggesting and install Avast - not sure what to do about malware. But think I will feel more secure with AVAST as my anti-virus.

Thanks for your input.
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

PostSubject: Re: secuity and win 8.1   secuity and win 8.1 Empty11/23/2014, 13:25

The 4-port USB hub I use is the top one here:

http://www.walmart.com/search/?query=4%20port%20usb%20hub

It works fine, and easy to take anywhere. Very cheap too! If you buy it at Walmart, you can take it back within 19 days and exchange it for a self-powered one if you find that you need one. But, the one I have works for everything I've attached to it on Windows 7 laptops.

Concerning malware, just run your scanners more often (like once a week) and schedule Avast to do a quick scan every day, a full scan once a week, and a boot time scan every other week instead of monthly.

Back to top Go down
fay47
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
fay47

PostSubject: Re: secuity and win 8.1   secuity and win 8.1 Empty11/23/2014, 14:04

Repa,

There are a number of ports when I go to that link. Which one is the one that you got. I may just give it a try. I am not wanting to spend a lot of money.

Chances are my local store will not have it , but I could order it and still take back to the store to return.

I need to get Avast and the scanners loaded.
Back to top Go down
fay47
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
fay47

PostSubject: Re: secuity and win 8.1   secuity and win 8.1 Empty11/23/2014, 14:14

I wish I could find a manual for the tablet that has a little more information than the quick start users guide that was included, but maybe there is not one.
And guess I need to look for a win 8.1 online tutorial.

One thing I have trouble with is the onscreen keyboard. Sometimes have a hard time getting it to come up and sometimes it tends to cover to big an area and cover up what I am typing.

2 reasons I do not want to get a keyboard for it.
1. cost
2. I do not want to have all that attached. I would just use my notebook.. Wish I did not have to attach the mouse ,but just have too much trouble with the touch screen. Should have paid attention to the reviews that mentioned the touch screen was not that great. But other than that this tablet really had pretty good reviews.
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

PostSubject: Re: secuity and win 8.1   secuity and win 8.1 Empty11/23/2014, 14:25

fay47 wrote:
Repa,

There are a number of ports when I go to that link.  Which one is the one that you got.  I may just give it a try.  I am not wanting to spend a lot of money.

Chances are my local store will not have it , but  I could order it and still take back to the store to return.

I need to get Avast and the scanners loaded.

the first one (on top of the page) 4 port mini hub was $10.99, reduced to $4.72. Can't get any cheaper than that.
Back to top Go down
fay47
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
fay47

PostSubject: Re: secuity and win 8.1   secuity and win 8.1 Empty11/23/2014, 16:11

Repa,

Thought I posted about this a few minutes ago but do not see it.

I just ordered, they do not appear to have it in local store.

Don't expect it to use very much mainly so that I can attach a disk drive and still use my mouse.

Thanks
Back to top Go down
fay47
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
fay47

PostSubject: Re: secuity and win 8.1   secuity and win 8.1 Empty12/1/2014, 18:57

Repa,

Got the hub today and tried it out.
Appears it will power by thumb drive but not my iomega hard drive.  
I made sure the switch was on for the port.  I even unplugged the thumb drive from the port where it was working and plugged in the external hard drive there-  computer will did not see it.   Since I could not get it to work on my tablet ,  decided to try on my main computer -same problem.  If I plug the hard drive directly to a usb port on the desktop - it works ok, but not when plugged into the hub. OH, I should have said before the hard drive get s its power from the usb port.

I can do part of what I want to right now with the thumb drive.

Did you say yours will power and external hard drive?

Fay
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

PostSubject: Re: secuity and win 8.1   secuity and win 8.1 Empty12/1/2014, 21:29

My external hard drives all have their own power, so I don't have the problem you do. Yea, it would have helped if I had known the hard drive gets its power from the usb port. If it had its own power, you would have no problem connecting and seeing the HD. I didn't know they made hard drive that don't have their own power. Should have guessed though, as I bought my niece a dvd player that gets its power from her computer usb port. I don't know if a powered usb hub will make a difference or not - you'll just have to try it and see, or get an external hard drive with its own power if it doesn't work, although I think it will.
Back to top Go down
fay47
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
fay47

PostSubject: Re: secuity and win 8.1   secuity and win 8.1 Empty12/1/2014, 22:10

Repa,

Yeah, I should have thought to mention that about the power. Did not think about it until it would not work. Right now, for what I am doing, I can use a thumb drive.

I do not know about making an image backup. Not sure how I would ever use it anyway, and I can not make the rescue disks since it does not have a cd. But it was less than 175 so I do not want to spend a lot of money getting accessories, probably just get another one if I have trouble and I really want one. I will not be using it for much - it is mainly a toy.

It has a longer battery like than the netbook or notebook. That will be useful to play games to pass time if power goes out. But I do not plan on buying games. mainly limited to stuff like spider , mahjong, jigsaw puzzles. So far have not found any really good free ones- but that is ok.

It has a year free trail office 365 - went ahead and signed up for that. I did not have to give any billing information, would not have signed up if it required it.
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

PostSubject: Re: secuity and win 8.1   secuity and win 8.1 Empty12/2/2014, 22:56

On my wife's Ipad, everything can be backed up to iCloud. Do you have a feature like that for your unit? Also, you can get an external cd/dvd drive that is powered by the usb port to make rescue disks if your system gives you that option. I can't remember for sure, but I think the unit I got for my niece was under $60.
Back to top Go down
fay47
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
fay47

PostSubject: Re: secuity and win 8.1   secuity and win 8.1 Empty12/2/2014, 23:27

Repa,

I think so on the cloud stuff , but not sure and not sure I really want to do that. May have to check it out.

I just ran across some instruction for 8.1
http://www.7tutorials.com/how-create-recovery-drive-usb-memory-stick-windows-8-81

I bookmarked it, will have to get a new usb stick and come back and read it and try it out - not sure when. Then I am not sure how to boot from it, surely the instructions are somewhere.
I do not know if my hub would power the cd/dvd drive since it would not power the external hard drive.
First I guess is to see if I can create the recover y usb stick and then figure out how to boot from it.
Just depends on how I feel as to when I do it- had a headache most of today.

Always something new to learn.

I had an old USB keyboard I am not using, so just for the heck of it - I plugged in the usb hub to my tablet, plugged in the mouse and the keyboard and powered up. When I got to the sign on screen, I could not get it to work - something turned on the speaker and it just kept telling me something about entering the password, but it would not take input from the usb keyboard nor from the onscreen keyboard. I finally unplugged keyboard, powered off, powered back up and signed in with the onscreen keyboard, plugged in the keyboard and it worked -I could type into notepad using the usb keyboard.
I will have to try again to see if it will let me power up with the keyboard plugged in. Maybe I accidently hit something I do not know.

From what I read about the trial office 365 -sounds like I can put in on one pc in addition to the tablet. Probably do not need it on my tablet but went ahead and put in there. Have office 7 on my desktop so do not need it there. Might see about putting it on my laptop -but I probably do not really need it there right now.

Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

PostSubject: Re: secuity and win 8.1   secuity and win 8.1 Empty12/2/2014, 23:50

Yea, I meant that you could use the usb port on the computer, not the hub, to make a rescue disk with an external cd/dvd drive, or use a powered usb hub, which I think will work and solve your problems so you can plug in up to 4 or more devices and recognize them, depending on the powered hub you get. I have a Belkin powered usb hub on my old Win XP machine and have used it to connect printer, scanner, and USB keyboard with no problems. I think I paid $20 for it back in the day. Don't know if it would cost more now or not.
Back to top Go down
fay47
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
fay47

PostSubject: Re: secuity and win 8.1   secuity and win 8.1 Empty12/3/2014, 00:17

OH ok.

Fay
Back to top Go down
fay47
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
fay47

PostSubject: Re: secuity and win 8.1   secuity and win 8.1 Empty12/3/2014, 16:03

I needed 8GB to create the recovery drive and copy the recovery partition.
I found an old 8GB thumb drive I had that I did not need the data - so decided to try using it.
Followed some instructions I found and created the recovery disk using the thumb drive.

But when I rebooted it did not boot from the usb drive. Needed to change the boot order but did not know how. Getting into the BIOS is a bit different for 8 than 7. I found the instructions, changed the order and tried the boot again. It booted from the usb drive. I had to plug in the keyboard, was not able to get things to work without it. Maybe there is a way, but I could not get it to. Had to select the country for the keyboard, it then gave me a menu asking what I wanted to do. I just turned off the computer. Did not want to play around and accidently do the wrong things.
I then removed the thumb drive and rebooted again - booted normally.
YAY

I was using the hub for the mouse and usb stick and later for the keyboard. I do not know if the usb stick will have to be plugged into the same place in the hub as it was when I set the boot order. Will have to do some more playing around later -or do you know the answer to that?
Right now I have to go run errands.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: secuity and win 8.1   secuity and win 8.1 Empty

Back to top Go down

secuity and win 8.1
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Geeks, Geeks and More Geeks :: Windows Computer Help :: Computer Security-
Jump to: