Geeks, Geeks and More Geeks
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THIS FORUM IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. SORRY! DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REGISTER; YOUR REQUEST WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Downloading Programs From the Internet

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

Number of posts : 2378
Humor : Age: Older than Dirt!
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Downloading Programs From the Internet Empty
PostSubject: Downloading Programs From the Internet   Downloading Programs From the Internet Empty10/13/2008, 22:44

janewm

Posted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:21 am Post subject: Downloading Programs From Internet · Quote · Edit · Delete · IP

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have some questions pertaining to downloading and installing.

There are certain programs that come with instructions "before" you download. But what about the programs that don't? There is one thing I do not understand.

When you get the box with "Run" "Open" "Save", etc. which do you choose? If it depends on the programs, how do you know what to do?
Sometimes I pick run and end up having to go back and pcik save. Then I indtall from the file I saved to.

I guess the real question is how do you know what to do????????

Jane

"If you cannot find the Truth right where you are, where else do you expect to find it?" Dogen

Back to top · Profile · PM · Email · WWW · MSN

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Repa
Site Admin
User is Online

Posted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:57 am Post subject: · Quote · Edit · Delete · IP

Jane, I save all my downloads so I can check them for viruses, spyware and malware before opening them to run or install. I created a folder on my C:\ drive called My Downloads and that is where I put all downloaded applications until I can run my scanners to scan the files. Then, I install them if they are installation files, or run them if they are independent applications that can run independent of the operating system, such as Microsoft's "Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool."

Older than dirt!

Back to top · Profile · PM · Email

Rike
Site Admin

Posted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 2:06 am Post subject: · Quote · Edit · Delete · IP

Jane, I always pick "save". And I always save it to "My Downloads" folder. Once you get it there, you can check it with your Anti-Virus program, and when it has been found virus-free, install it. If you pick "run" or "open" to begin with, the program will install directly onto your machine and you have no chance to check it first. If it has a virus, it will install with the program.
I am like you: for a long time, I had no idea of the difference. Why don't they call it "install" instead of "run"? Or I would click on "save", and then had no idea where to look for it.
In "My Downloads" folder, I have quite a few (sub)folders: Security, Photo, Browsers, etc. For instance: After I install my Anti-Virus program I put the "Install.exe" file into the Security folder. Then, if something happens that I have to uninstall the Anti-Virus program, I can re-install it from the same "Install.exe" file without having to do another download. My graphics install files go into the Photo folder, Firefox install files go to the Browser folder and so on. You can also rename the install files: some of them have only letters and numbers for a name and two weeks later I have no idea which program they might belong to.
Hope that helps you some.

Rike

"Time is what prevents everything from happening at once."
John Archibald Wheeler -

Back to top · Profile · PM · Email · WWW

novice57
Site Admin

Posted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 3:09 am Post subject: · Quote · Edit · Delete · IP

Jane

Saving a program's install file to your hard drive will also be a more efficient method of getting the program running. If you are installing directly from the internet you could get dropped information packets that would seriously effect the program's integrity. By saving the program files and the installer in one chunk you run less risk of this type of damage. In very critical downloads I will save them twice and then do a "checksum" on the content bits to make sure that they are identical. I then delete one and install the other. If they are different, then I must download the file again and compare that to both the others, using a "odd out" selection. I often download multi gigabyte size files and it isn't unusual to lose a few bits of information in a full hour download over a 3mg /sec connection. That's a lot of data to transfer over the internet without loss. Saving the compressed file with the exe seriously diminishes the chance of error and gives you a backup to the installation file.

Back to top · Profile · PM · Email

janewm

Posted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 12:36 pm Post subject: · Quote · Edit · Delete · IP

Thank you all. I now know what each means and what to do. I appreciate the information. It helps a lot.

Jane

Downloading Programs From the Internet
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Geeks, Geeks and More Geeks :: Windows Computer Help :: Computer Discussion-
Jump to: