Geeks, Geeks and More Geeks
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THIS FORUM IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. SORRY! DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REGISTER; YOUR REQUEST WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

AVG question

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
pepperpot
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
pepperpot

Number of posts : 715
Humor : I think I have one
Registration date : 2008-09-19
Mood : pensive

AVG question Empty
PostSubject: AVG question   AVG question Empty1/12/2009, 12:59

Not sure if this was posted before... but here goes

AVG question Avg110

Everytime I turn on the computer I get this box and it stays in first "plain"... the only way to get rid of it is to click on the Upgrade button... which then opens at this link

http://static.avg.com/special-antispyware-upgrade-asfree78cnv

It says:
AVG (ewido) Anti-Spyware has been replaced by AVG 8,........

However, when you click on the "download Upgrade now".... it directs you to another page

http://free.avg.com/download-avg-anti-virus-free-edition

and the free one only offers the Anti-Virus & Anti-Spyware, plus Safe search......

The question is..... seeing that I already have Avast doing this job and I know its not recommendable to have two Anti-Viruses running.... should I still go ahead and download the new free version or what other Anti-spyware - Anti-Spam scanner could I install?

I already have Spayware Blaster install... what I am looking for is a good scanner.... and yes it has to be free - lol

Thank you
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

Number of posts : 2378
Humor : Age: Older than Dirt!

AVG question Empty
PostSubject: Re: AVG question   AVG question Empty1/12/2009, 14:49

I wondered when someone would notice that AVG is no longer supporting the AVG-Antispyware software by itself! Here's to you! Tells me how often folks are checking their updates! Razz Laughing

Yes, you have to upgrade to the new AVG Free Anti-virus V. 8.0 if you want to keep using the Anti-spyware. Of course, you can keep what you have, you just won't have updated spyware and other malware definitions. And yes, you don't want 2 anti-virus software on your computer. I liked the AVG-Anti-Spyware software by itself enough to purchase 2 yrs service on 2 machines nearly 2 years ago. I have updated to the new V. 8.0 AVG on one machine as the update was free until August 2009 since my original service didn't expire until February, and they gave the extra months free to upgrade. I was also running AVG Free Anti-Virus on that machine as well. But, I have Avast on my other desktop and will not download it on that machine. If you look at what Avast has, you get all this (which includes Anti-spyware detection and removal in realtime) for free:

Anti-spyware
built-in Web Shield
Anti-rootkit built-in
Automatic updates
Strong self-protection
Virus Chest
Antivirus kernel
System integration
Simple User Interface
Integrated Virus Cleaner
Resident protection
Support for 64-bit Windows
P2P and IM Shields
Internationalization
Network Shield

I think Avast is better than AVG, and less prone to false positives. The only thing lacking is you have to manually schedule your own scans, you can't just set the program to automatically do it for you.

So, I am sticking with Avast on this machine by itself until I can find another free Anti-spyware scanner. I have not found a free Anti-spyware scanner with a resident shield that I am comfortable with as of yet. Asquared free is a good free scanner, but you have to purchase the Pro version to get the active resident guard. Windows Defender is free and does have a resident guard that provides anti-spyware protection, but it isn't the best. I have it on my laptop along with Avast, and wonder just what good it is doing. But, it is probably better than not having it at all. It will not interfere with anti-virus software.

If you have purchased the service for AVG Anti-spyware and you have any significant time remaining before it expires, you may want to go ahead and do the update and use the Ant-ivirus and Anti-Spyware portions of the software until it does expire, as they will give you extra months of service as an incentive to upgrade, and then you can switch back to Avast when that expires. The new AVG Anti-virus with Anti-Spyware has essentially the same features as Avast does, including the Anti-rootkit. If you haven't clicked on the link in your screenshot above, it takes you to a webpage where it will give you a new license code to enter and a link to the upgrade. The upgrade is to AVG Internet Security, which contains AVG Firewall and AVG Anti-Spam in the email scanner also, but you can choose not to install those if you do the custom install. Reviews of the total AVG Internet Security package indicate that it is very resource heavy, probably due to the firewall and anti-spam software. I didn't notice any change in preformance when I downloaded the new AVG, excluding the firewall and the anti-spam in the email scanner. It seems to work fine, no problems. I just think Avast is better, and will switch to that on the one machine with AVG when my service contract with them runs out in August.
Back to top Go down
pepperpot
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
pepperpot

Number of posts : 715
Humor : I think I have one
Mood : pensive

AVG question Empty
PostSubject: Re: AVG question   AVG question Empty1/12/2009, 18:03

Repa wrote:
I wondered when someone would notice that AVG is no longer supporting the AVG-Antispyware software by itself! Here's to you! Tells me how often folks are checking their updates! Razz Laughing

Well.... its only the 10 day in the year cyclops I saw the notification but was just too busy to tackle it geek

Anyway..... many thanks Repa!

You have confirmed & cleared up some of my doubts...... much appreciated Love
Back to top Go down
ruthsollid
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
ruthsollid

Number of posts : 492
Registration date : 2008-10-17

AVG question Empty
PostSubject: Re: AVG question   AVG question Empty1/13/2009, 23:42

I got that same box at start up also and wondered about it too, but just didn't ask about it for some reason. Embarassed

I just ended up removing AVG from both computers. Our desktop has Avast anyway. I'm glad to hear what Repa had to say! WHEW!

Thanks for asking Samantha!! Very Happy
Back to top Go down

AVG question Empty
PostSubject: Re: AVG question   AVG question Empty1/20/2009, 16:21

Sam, you beat me to it!

Repa, I take exception to Tells me how often folks are checking their updates! Razz Smile joking. i've been meaning to post & ask about this since back in Dec.08, but didn't get to it.

i was wondering if there was an alternative also. at least now i've got one less thing to try to update! Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

AVG question Empty
PostSubject: Re: AVG question   AVG question Empty

Back to top Go down

AVG question
Page 1 of 1