Geeks, Geeks and More Geeks
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THIS FORUM IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. SORRY! DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REGISTER; YOUR REQUEST WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

question about outlook express

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
fay47
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
fay47

Number of posts : 1480
Registration date : 2008-10-17
Mood : none

question about outlook express Empty
PostSubject: question about outlook express   question about outlook express Empty9/20/2009, 22:08

This question is not about a browser but my e-mail - outlook express, but I wasn't sure where to ask it - so I am putting it there.

I use to occasionally get a message when I closed OE telling me it could compact messages and giving me a change to do it not. Recently I have started getting the message multiple times a day - while it is open. Any ideas?

Fay.
Back to top Go down
pepperpot
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
pepperpot

Number of posts : 715
Humor : I think I have one
Registration date : 2008-09-19
Mood : pensive

PostSubject: Re: question about outlook express   question about outlook express Empty9/21/2009, 22:30

moved: seeing that OE is a Microsoft program

Fay,

What OE do you have, what OS and what SP?
Back to top Go down
fay47
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
fay47

PostSubject: Re: question about outlook express   question about outlook express Empty9/21/2009, 22:42

Sam,

I have win xp pro sp3 and oe 6. Have had those for quite some time and just recently stated having this problem. Also have the same set up on my work computer and not having a problem there.

I am now wondierng if it might becuae I have so many messages in my OE message folders. I save a LOT of my messages. If no one has any ideas, I guess I could try deleting some of my older messages and see if that helps.

Thanks,
Fay
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

Number of posts : 2378
Humor : Age: Older than Dirt!
Registration date : 2008-09-19

PostSubject: Re: question about outlook express   question about outlook express Empty9/21/2009, 22:50

In the most current version, OE compacts all folders automatically after you open and close the program 100 times. Compacting folders is absolutely essential for maintaining your files in good working order. Therefore, when it asks you to do it, let it:

1. Do not interrupt the process once it has begun.

2. It is best not to use your computer at all until the process is complete, which can take a few minutes.

3. Under no circumstances must you ever use Task Manager to kill the msimn.exe process, or put your computer on Standby, or turn off the power, or use a memory-intensive program while compaction is occurring. Any of those can cause destruction of your files and the loss of your messages.

If you don't like waiting for that 100th closing, you can compact all folders manually at any time. For best results always use this procedure:

1. On the File menu, click Work Offline so that no new messages will be arriving.

2. In the Folder list, click on Outlook Express so that no e-mail or news folder is open.

3. Close the Folder list by clicking Layout on the View menu, and then clear the checkbox for "Folder List".

4. On the File menu, point to Folder, and then click Compact All Folders. Do not use your computer until the process is complete, which might take several minutes.

5. If an error occurs, close Outlook Express, re-open it, and begin the process again from the top. If the same error occurs again, close Outlook Express, restart your computer (or log off and then log on again), open Outlook Express and then begin the whole process again.

Unfortunately that does not reset the internal counter to zero, so OE will still compact after the 100th closing. You can edit the registry manually to reset the counter, or you can use OE Tool to compact all folders and reset the counter at the same time. To reset it manually:

1. Close Outlook Express and all message windows.

2. Click Start, click Run and type without quotes "regedit".

3. Navigate to this key

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Identities\{GUID}\Software\Microsoft\Outlook Express\5.0

where GUID is the long number used for your Identity.

4. In the right-hand pane, double-click "Compact Check Count", then change the value to zero.

That should do it!
Back to top Go down
fay47
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
fay47

PostSubject: Re: question about outlook express   question about outlook express Empty9/21/2009, 23:04

Repa,

I checked the registry - the value was only at x13 - decimal 19 but I went ahead and changed it to 0 anyway. The thing that was really getting me was that it was asking about compaciting not just when I close OE but while it was open. Anyway, I deleted out some messages and also made the registry change you noted. So, I'll see what happens,

Thanks,
Fay
Back to top Go down
fay47
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
fay47

PostSubject: Re: question about outlook express   question about outlook express Empty9/23/2009, 19:00

So far no more trouble with my e-mail.

YAY!!!!

Fay
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: question about outlook express   question about outlook express Empty

Back to top Go down

question about outlook express
Page 1 of 1