Geeks, Geeks and More Geeks
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THIS FORUM IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. SORRY! DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REGISTER; YOUR REQUEST WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Facebook

Go down 
+4
goofrey
angelface1961
Repa
fay47
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
angelface1961
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
angelface1961

Number of posts : 579
Registration date : 2009-01-10
Mood : fine

Facebook - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Facebook   Facebook - Page 2 Empty3/17/2010, 20:31

Repa said :
I rarely see bots there, and when I do, they are only browsing the index.

Ok define for me what a bot is please. I think I know but I am not sure.
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

Number of posts : 2378
Humor : Age: Older than Dirt!
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Facebook - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Facebook   Facebook - Page 2 Empty3/17/2010, 23:01

Typically, what we see browsing our message boards are search robots (also called crawlers or spiders) used by Google, Yahoo, and others to collect documents from the web to build a searchable index for the their search engines. You can see them yourself from time to time by checking just under the Registered Users online where it says "Bots" at the bottom of the Home page.
Back to top Go down
pepperpot
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
pepperpot

Number of posts : 715
Humor : I think I have one
Mood : pensive

Facebook - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Facebook   Facebook - Page 2 Empty5/8/2010, 12:12

I just ran across this article and thought it might be of interest.

http://www.rocket.ly/home/2010/4/26/top-ten-reasons-you-should-quit-facebook.html

The Readers Comments are interesting as usual Surprised
Back to top Go down
fay47
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
fay47

Number of posts : 1480
Registration date : 2008-10-17
Mood : none

Facebook - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Facebook   Facebook - Page 2 Empty5/8/2010, 12:53

Sam,

I'll have to come back some other time to read the comments. I haven't set up a facebook account. Still have people urging me ot do so, but I just don'tknow if I feel comfortable about doing it.

Fay
Back to top Go down
Rike
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Number of posts : 143
Registration date : 2008-10-21

Facebook - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Facebook   Facebook - Page 2 Empty5/8/2010, 15:54

I really find e-mail easy enough to use. If somebody doesn't want to take the time to correspond with me by e-mail, then I'll take that hint and assume they aren't interested enough for me to take the time, either!
Back to top Go down
http://rikespages.spaces.live.com/
fay47
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
fay47

Number of posts : 1480
Registration date : 2008-10-17
Mood : none

Facebook - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Facebook   Facebook - Page 2 Empty5/8/2010, 16:12

Rike,

I recenlty got in contact with a lady I went to college with thru classmates.com - excanged a couple of e-mails with her. But, don't really hear any more from her, she told me she pretty much just used facebook to keep in touch with people and asked me to joing faceboodk. I don't know. maybe some day I'll break down and do the facebook thing. Maybe I would like it if I ever did, but I just don't feel comfortable with it.

Fay
Back to top Go down
angelface1961
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
angelface1961

Number of posts : 579
Registration date : 2009-01-10

Facebook - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Facebook   Facebook - Page 2 Empty5/8/2010, 18:41

It is not that bad...you can hide all your information except for those you invite to see it. There are days it is busier than others. Repa is getting pretty good at it. He posts just about everyday.

Just saying.
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

Facebook - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Facebook   Facebook - Page 2 Empty5/8/2010, 20:40

I get pretty frustrated at times. And, that link that Sam posted is worth considering - here it is again:

http://www.rocket.ly/home/2010/4/26/top-ten-reasons-you-should-quit-facebook.html
Back to top Go down
pepperpot
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
pepperpot

Facebook - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Facebook   Facebook - Page 2 Empty5/9/2010, 00:52

I agree with you there Rike... and I understand your frustration there too Fay... many of my friends in Vzla have Facebook and to be able to see their photos they always say "its on Facebook"... when they want to see my pics its easy available for them to see with no need no join a site just to see photos Evil or Very Mad so I opt to miss out on that

Plus, I do not care to join that site cause I just know that these friends of mine do not take all the precautions or have the understanding of keeping stuff safe... I am pretty happy in how spam free my email account is and would like to keep it that way... lol
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

Facebook - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Facebook   Facebook - Page 2 Empty5/9/2010, 02:00

You got that right, Sam! Since joining facebook, I get 20 -30 spams a day. Before joining facebook, I rarely got any. I am considering deleting my account as I get pretty frustrated with facebook at times.
Back to top Go down
Rike
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Number of posts : 143
Registration date : 2008-10-21

Facebook - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Facebook   Facebook - Page 2 Empty5/15/2010, 01:40

Good luck deleting it, Repa. I read somewhere that even if you delete your account, it is still there.
Sam, I agree with you. If I have to go to facebook to look at photos, I guess I just won't see them.
Back to top Go down
http://rikespages.spaces.live.com/
Aloverssunset
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
Aloverssunset

Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2008-11-13

Facebook - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Facebook   Facebook - Page 2 Empty5/18/2010, 22:39

Repa wrote:
You got that right, Sam! Since joining facebook, I get 20 -30 spams a day. Before joining facebook, I rarely got any. I am considering deleting my account as I get pretty frustrated with facebook at times.

I created a spam account for facebook. My regular accounts are on aol. my spam accounts are on gmail or hotmail. I don't go there except to delete stuff when it gets full. But at least my aol accounts are nice and clean so far...lol

My family uses it, my daughter is in kansas and I chat anytime with her on facebook. I like it and not just because of the games...lol.

Sandra
Back to top Go down
pepperpot
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
pepperpot

Facebook - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Facebook   Facebook - Page 2 Empty8/25/2010, 11:08

Another interesting article about Facebook and its privacy policies

http://redtape.msnbc.com/2010/08/facebook-places-we-are-each-others-big-brothers.html?GT1=43001

The User's comments are pretty interesting and all give interesting opinions of the pros and cons...

Its true... as one user says:
Quote :
if you lack the ability to properly use privacy settings .. GET OFF THE INTERNET!

or this other one:
Quote :
If people are going to use technology (or anything else) then it's their responsibility to understand how it works. Anyone who starts using FB without understanding the privacy issues deserves whatever they get.

then as others put it:
Quote :
facebook started by allowing users to share information, which they did because they wanted to showcase their social life, from their core group of freinds, to a wider audience. Increasingly so, facebook has used this initial narcissistic streak and put users in a prison...with things like places...the people that shared the most, are now having to share their places with everyone....instead of coreographing things to their favour...the information is now totally out of their control....
Quote :
this is how facebook has gotten their business to thrive. They have done this by playing with our minds so, it is difficult for us to even delete ourselves. Indirectly, social networking sites have made us dependent on it. But in the end, it is our own fault as well for succumbing to it and joining in the first place. Once you have joined, these sites have owned rights to us. It is pretty scary to think about. Our profiles are not about us. It is their profile on us.

Fine... honestly for one, I don't need to have my 15mins of fame on any screen so I was never interested in social sites such as Facebook and for two... I may know how to work my settings, but would the people in my 'friends list' know?

The game that we played as kids called the Grapevine comes to mind when I think of Facebook... remember whats the true idea behind that game?

LOL... as everything its a personal choice

I think its a great idea of creating different email accounts for the different purposes one does on the web, like what Sandra suggested... I sure we all do that... just dont link those addresses together Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down
wwe9112
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

Number of posts : 534
Registration date : 2008-10-23
Mood : mellow

Facebook - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Facebook   Facebook - Page 2 Empty8/25/2010, 11:48

I have a facebook, I usually dont accept people unles I know them, or they go to my school, or if its concerning my site then idc who they are haha Razz... Some people are so retarded and most themselves half nakid(alot of girls from my school do that) and stuff like that in their bra, or just covering over the front of their breast, they dont leave much for the imagination... then you wonder why they get the names they have...seemingly though they end up with a whole lotta boy friends for some reason lol...
Back to top Go down
pepperpot
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
pepperpot

Facebook - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Facebook   Facebook - Page 2 Empty8/25/2010, 13:10

wwe9112 wrote:
I have a facebook, I usually dont accept people unles I know them, or they go to my school, or if its concerning my site then idc who they are haha Razz... Some people are so retarded and most themselves half nakid(alot of girls from my school do that) and stuff like that in their bra, or just covering over the front of their breast, they dont leave much for the imagination... then you wonder why they get the names they have...seemingly though they end up with a whole lotta boy friends for some reason lol...

Wwe... what those girls are doing is a different and alarming issue as they are under age.

I for one is in favor for tasteful and artful Figure photography Smile

Now its entirely disturbing when kids do this even tho they may have more body than I do... lol
Back to top Go down
wwe9112
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

Number of posts : 534
Registration date : 2008-10-23
Mood : mellow

Facebook - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Facebook   Facebook - Page 2 Empty8/25/2010, 13:25

pepperpot wrote:
wwe9112 wrote:

Wwe... what those girls are doing is a different and alarming issue as they are under age.

Now its entirely disturbing when kids do this even tho they may have more body than I do... lol

Well, its artistic when it's for a reason, not to just show "look what i have boys" lol it bothers me...idk if its because i'll never have them or if its cause its demeaning to them especially cause they are like 14 and creepers online will be like ohh yeah baby your mine or soemthing and go and get them...
Back to top Go down
pepperpot
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
pepperpot

Facebook - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Facebook   Facebook - Page 2 Empty8/25/2010, 16:00

wwe9112 wrote:
pepperpot wrote:
wwe9112 wrote:

Well, its artistic when it's for a reason, not to just show "look what i have boys" lol it bothers me...idk if its because i'll never have them or if its cause its demeaning to them especially cause they are like 14 and creepers online will be like ohh yeah baby your mine or soemthing and go and get them...

Exaclty!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Facebook - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Facebook   Facebook - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Facebook
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2