Geeks, Geeks and More Geeks
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THIS FORUM IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. SORRY! DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REGISTER; YOUR REQUEST WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Spybot found this

Go down 
2 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

Number of posts : 1165
Humor : Yes
Registration date : 2009-10-26

Spybot found this Empty
PostSubject: Spybot found this   Spybot found this Empty3/21/2010, 21:22

Repa,

Just did a spybot scan and it found Spywareinfo.TrafficZ.

I searched it, but, some forums said it could it be a false positive?

Do you know what I need to do about it?
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

Number of posts : 2378
Humor : Age: Older than Dirt!
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Spybot found this Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spybot found this   Spybot found this Empty3/22/2010, 03:24

From what I can see, you need to find a bookmark in Firefox that links to spywareinfo.com and delete it yourself. Read this:

http://forums.techguy.org/general-security/797430-solved-spybot-finds-spywareinfo-trafficz.html

I'll check it out more thoroughly tomorrow and see if I have the problem also and what is causing it.
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

Spybot found this Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spybot found this   Spybot found this Empty3/22/2010, 18:47

Repa,

Like the others, after the scan, I tried to have Spybot remove it. It says it did, but, upon scanning again, it rears it's head again. I haven't bookmarked anything regarding "spyware info", so I can't imagine where this is coming from?

Would it do any good to open the Start menu> then Search to see if it finds anything? Would that work or not?

Thanks,
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

Spybot found this Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spybot found this   Spybot found this Empty3/22/2010, 20:33

It's not on my system, so I can't replicate the problem. Did you read the solution found in the link I gave you above? You can do a search and look for anything that might have spywareinfo or merijn in the link. You may have to hover over each link in your bookmarks to find it if search doesn't find it for you. The actual name of the link is not necessarily the link itself. You also need to look into all the other accounts on your computer (wife, children, grandchildren).

If you don't find it this way, run spybot in the Administrator account (not the owner account) in safe mode and try to remove it with spybot in that account and see if rerunning spybot will find it again.

You can also expand the information spybot gives you, take a screen shot and post it here. However, try the above steps first, and if all else fails, then do this.
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

Spybot found this Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spybot found this   Spybot found this Empty3/23/2010, 16:30

Repa,

1) I updated firefox to new ver. 3.6.2 and hoped that maybe the problem might be eliminated, but, it still exists. I copied the path and was gonna try a search, by going thru Start menu, but, I didn't see any way to search bookmarks. You mentioned expanding spybot information, but, I don't know how?

I was hoping I could search the bookmarks. I don't suppose there's a way to do that?

2) Is this avirus, or what?
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

Spybot found this Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spybot found this   Spybot found this Empty3/23/2010, 23:51

wcturner wrote:
Repa,

1) I updated firefox to new ver. 3.6.2 and hoped that maybe the problem might be eliminated, but, it still exists. I copied the path and was gonna try a search, by going thru Start menu, but, I didn't see any way to search bookmarks. You mentioned expanding spybot information, but, I don't know how?

Click on the + mark beside the error message and that shows you all the information that spybot has available on the event it found.

I was hoping I could search the bookmarks. I don't suppose there's a way to do that?

Start > Search > For files or folders > All files and folders and then search on spywareinfo, and then search on merijn and delete any links you find that originate in C:\Documents and Settings.......

2) Is this avirus, or what?

No, it's a bookmark that if you click on it, it will take you to a site where you will get viruses or malware. The site was taken over by bad people.

If you can't find the bookmarks by what I've said above, go into safe mode and run spybot in the Administrator account (not the Owner (your) account). Have it delete what it finds, and see if that gets rid of your problem.
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

Spybot found this Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spybot found this   Spybot found this Empty3/23/2010, 23:58

Repa,

I'll give it a try when I can, and report back here.

Thanks
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

Spybot found this Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spybot found this   Spybot found this Empty3/25/2010, 14:50

Repa,
My search of spywareinfo, pulled up nothing, but, merijn, found 2 entries. I deleted both. Then I ran another Spybot scan, and it still has those 2 bookmarks on my system.

Now, I'll have to go into Safe Mode, as you described, and I'll post that when completed.

I'll try my screenshot of spybot results. Can't get it to work in this edit. I'll try another post.
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

Spybot found this Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spybot found this   Spybot found this Empty3/25/2010, 15:06

Spybot found this Spybot12
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

Spybot found this Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spybot found this   Spybot found this Empty3/25/2010, 16:01

Are you sure the same bookmarks you manually deleted are back? Did you actually go in and check, or are they something you missed?

I read somewhere that spybot doesn't delete the bookmarks for some reason.

In your Firefox browswer, go to Bookmarks > Organize Bookmarks. That will open the the bookmarks Library.

In the upper right hand part of your screen is a "Search" text box where you can start typing words to search. Start typing merijn and watch what appears in the large pane on the right. Bookmarks will appear and some will start disappearing as you continue to type until what you are searching for is the only one or ones you see containing a reference to merijn. You can delete what you find from right there by right clicking and select delete. Do the same with spywareinfo. Do this for each user account on your system.

Once you have found all references to merijn and spywareinfo and have deleted them, empty your recycle bin and run ccleaner. When you run ccleaner, also run the "Issues" option (just below the cleaner icon in the left column) to clean your registry of any entries not deleted that might be referring to these deleted bookmark entries as well. Reboot, and then check by the above procedure to see that the bookmarks are still gone. Then run spybot to see if if finds anything else.

To be sure you get everything, you may need to do the above in safe mode in the Administrator account if the above procedure doesn't get everything in normal mode.
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

Spybot found this Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spybot found this   Spybot found this Empty3/25/2010, 19:27

Repa,

1) I didn't actually go through bookmark, individually, and delete them. The ones that I did look at, I never found anything.

2) Wouldn't I know it, if I had bookmarked anything referring to "spywareinfo", or merijn, because I know that I did not intentionally bookmark anything pertaining to "spywareinfo" or merijn? Or, would the bookmarks have been camouflaged, so I would have done it without knowing?

3) I'll try you latest suggestions ASAP. I've never used ccleaner, and I don't have it currently. Do you have a link for it, and can you tell me of anything I should be aware of, when downloading it, and then running it?
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

Spybot found this Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spybot found this   Spybot found this Empty3/26/2010, 00:22

Repa,

1) I tried the Firefox go to Bookmarks > Organize Bookmarks, method on all accounts. It found nothing at all on merijn, or spywareinfo. All done in Normal mode.

2) I'll try in Safe Mode tomorrow. How would I do the above in safe mode? Will the browser open up in safe mode, I've never tried it?

3) I'll try to scan again also. I read that someone had tried a lot of scans, and keep deleting them with each scan, and finally it came up clean. I'm not so sure about that though.
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

Spybot found this Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spybot found this   Spybot found this Empty3/26/2010, 13:38

Did you do the search while logged in to each one of the user accounts on your machine, including your wife's account and granddaughter's?

You do exactly the same thing in Safe Mode as in normal mode. The browser will open, but won't connect to the internet unless you go into safe mode with networking, which you don't need to do. Also, try looking for a bookmark that reads downloads.html and if you find such a bookmark, right-click on it and click properties and see if the link address contains that sypwareinfo.com and merijn. If it does, delete it. Also, do the Spybot scan in safe mode after searching manually to see what spybot finds, and delete anything it finds.
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

Spybot found this Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spybot found this   Spybot found this Empty3/26/2010, 15:23

Repa,

1) Yes, I logged into each account, only my wife's and mine now. I deleted my GD's account some time ago. You know how they outgrow you when they reach their teens.

2) In safe mode, I don't know how to log into each account to do the search in Bookmarks, since there's no Welcome page in safe mode. At least I've never seen one.?

3) While in safe mode, should I also try >Start> Search>then type those items into box?

4) I need to add that one of the scans in spybot, it said that the bookmarks, were in both my accounts, Owner, & my Limited, but, didn't say what the bookmarks were, or how to locate them.
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

Spybot found this Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spybot found this   Spybot found this Empty3/26/2010, 23:59

wcturner wrote:
Repa,

2) In safe mode, I don't know how to log into each account to do the search in Bookmarks, since there's no Welcome page in safe mode. At least I've never seen one.?

When safe mode comes up, you will be given a choice of accounts to log into. It will be obvious.

3) While in safe mode, should I also try >Start> Search>then type those items into box?

Yes

4) I need to add that one of the scans in spybot, it said that the bookmarks, were in both my accounts, Owner, & my Limited, but, didn't say what the bookmarks were, or how to locate them.

Try to follow the instructions I gave you and see what happens.
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

Spybot found this Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spybot found this   Spybot found this Empty3/27/2010, 23:46

Repa,

I tried the "organize bookmarks" search in safe mode, it didn't pull up anything. Then, I tried >Start>Search box, and tried several searches there, nothing.

While in safe mode, next I tried a Spybot scan, and to my amazement, it gave me Congratulations, Nothing found.

Naturally I'm glad, but, what do you make of that?
Especially, after I deleted the merijn references, as I mentioned in my earlier post, from the normal mode scan the other day. Then when I ran another scan, the same 2 references were still there. Maybe you have to delete them from the scans several times before it finally "Takes". At least that's what happened in this case.?

This is an edit. I just remembered, I also deleted those 2 references from the >Start menu>Search box, in normal mode the other day, also. I don't understand it?
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

Spybot found this Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spybot found this   Spybot found this Empty3/28/2010, 16:01

Sounds like you got rid of what you needed to get rid of. Without being there and seeing exactly what you did, I don't have an explanation to your question. Sounds like you are ok, so don't worry about it.
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

Spybot found this Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spybot found this   Spybot found this Empty3/28/2010, 16:38

Repa,

Thanks for your help!
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

Spybot found this Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spybot found this   Spybot found this Empty4/1/2010, 00:35

Hey, Repa,

I decided to do another Spybot scan tonight. I decided to just do it in Normal mode for time sake.

I'm afraid "Spywareinfo.TrafficZ" has returned. All I know to do is try what I did before.

I wonder why this has popped up all of a sudden? In some of the forums, such as the link you posted, those posts are a couple of years old.
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

Spybot found this Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spybot found this   Spybot found this Empty4/2/2010, 16:50

Today, in Safe Mode, I did the searches again. Nothing found.

Still in safe mode, I ran a Spybot scan. This time, no threats were found.

Is there any explanation for the Spywareinfo.TrafficZ found the other day in normal mode, and a clean bill of health today?
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

Spybot found this Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spybot found this   Spybot found this Empty4/2/2010, 19:48

Haven't got a clue, WC.
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

Spybot found this Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spybot found this   Spybot found this Empty4/7/2010, 21:58

I ran a spybot scan today, first in Normal mode, then scanned again in Safe mode.

The Normal mode once again found Spywareinfo.TrafficZ. I selected for Spybot to Delete the 2 references. It said they were gone.

I tried the Searches for merijn, spywareinfo in safe mode.. That pulled up nothing. Next, the Safe Mode scan with spybot. That scan found no threats.

Is it possible that when I delete the threats in normal mode, that gets rid of them, and that's why no threats are found in Safe mode? And, then they come back, somehow?

I do wish I could get rid of these threats once and for all!
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

Spybot found this Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spybot found this   Spybot found this Empty4/8/2010, 18:27

wcturner wrote:

So when you run Spybot in normal mode, do you still get the exact same message that you posted above, word for word? Do you have a Fixefox bookmark folder named Downloads.html? Does a search on Downloads.html bring up anything?
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

Spybot found this Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spybot found this   Spybot found this Empty4/8/2010, 19:25

Repa wrote:
wcturner wrote:

So when you run Spybot in normal mode, do you still get the exact same message that you posted above, word for word? I'm pretty sure that is the same message that I deleted yesterday. But, I'm assuming it was the same, but, since I'm not looking at it right now, I could not be 100% sure.

Do you have a Fixefox bookmark folder named Downloads.html? Does a search on Downloads.html bring up anything?
I'm not aware of a Firefox bookmark folder. And, a search on Downloads.html hasn't ever found anything.
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

Spybot found this Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spybot found this   Spybot found this Empty9/18/2010, 13:52

Repa, and anybody that an help with this.

Did a Spybot scan today and you guessed it, Spywareinfo.TrafficZ is back again.

Is there a way to do a Search for for this in bookmarks?

Thanks
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Spybot found this Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spybot found this   Spybot found this Empty

Back to top Go down

Spybot found this
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Geeks, Geeks and More Geeks :: Windows Computer Help :: Computer Security-
Jump to: