Geeks, Geeks and More Geeks
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THIS FORUM IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. SORRY! DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REGISTER; YOUR REQUEST WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Firefox and Java

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

Number of posts : 1165
Humor : Yes
Registration date : 2009-10-26

Firefox and Java Empty
PostSubject: Firefox and Java   Firefox and Java Empty4/4/2010, 00:46

Hey, Repa,

I just updated Firefox to Version 3.6.3, on 4/02/10.

On 4/03/10 I got a balloon in task tray for a Java 6 Update 19 that I installed. About an hour ago, my wife had a window pop up, that would enable Java Quick Starter 1.0. After I googled it, I decided I probably should un-install it. I saw on one site that it could be infected, or something like that, not sure. And, from my searches it appears difficult to uninstall.

1) Where would I find Java Control Panel? A suggestion was made about uninstalling from there.

2) Would there be a folder somewhere with Java in it?

3) The popup window also showed some previous Java Consoles, such as 6.0.12, 6.0.13, 6.0.14, 6.0.15, 6.0.16, 6.0.17, 6.0.07; and, 6.0.19 . Do you know if I need these or not?

4) Apparently, I have the auto update/install box checked on Java, and if I could find it, don't you think I should un-check that box? Not sure where to find these things.
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

Number of posts : 2378
Humor : Age: Older than Dirt!
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Firefox and Java Empty
PostSubject: Re: Firefox and Java   Firefox and Java Empty4/4/2010, 15:44

wcturner wrote:
Hey, Repa,

I just updated Firefox to Version 3.6.3, on 4/02/10.

1) Where would I find Java Control Panel? A suggestion was made about uninstalling from there.

2) Would there be a folder somewhere with Java in it?

3) The popup window also showed some previous Java Consoles, such as 6.0.12, 6.0.13, 6.0.14, 6.0.15, 6.0.16, 6.0.17, 6.0.07; and, 6.0.19 . Do you know if I need these or not?

4) Apparently, I have the auto update/install box checked on Java, and if I could find it, don't you think I should un-check that box? Not sure where to find these things.

The Java Quick Starter is a valid add-on for Firefox from Java Sun to improve initial startup time for most Java applets and applications. If Avast and/or any of your other scanners don't detect a virus or trojan on it, it should be ok. If you want to disable it, go to Control Panel (Start > Settings > Control Panel) and click Java icon to open the Java control panel. In the Java control panel, click the Advanced tab. Click the + in front of Miscellaneous and uncheck the Java Quick Starter box to remove the add-on. Then click apply, then Ok. You can read about Java Quick Starter here:

http://java.com/en/download/help/quickstarter.xml

It's ok to check for Java updates automatically, but have it notify you to do the update. To do that, on the Java control panel click the Update tab. Make sure the pull-down selection in the text box next to "Notify Me" is set to "Before downloading."
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

Firefox and Java Empty
PostSubject: Re: Firefox and Java   Firefox and Java Empty4/4/2010, 21:08

Repa,

After reading your response & the included link, I'll keep it for now anyway.

But, I still need to get to the Java control panel to change those update settings. I've got a problem though. When I click the Start menu, there is no Settings tab to click, "per your go to Control Panel (Start > Settings > Control Panel)".
So I don't see any way to get to the Java control panel. You do mean the Start, in the left side of the task bar, right?
Back to top Go down
fay47
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
fay47

Number of posts : 1480
Registration date : 2008-10-17
Mood : none

Firefox and Java Empty
PostSubject: Re: Firefox and Java   Firefox and Java Empty4/5/2010, 00:54

WC,

You may have a diffrent view of you Start Menu than Repa does.
When you bring up you Start Programs - do you have 2 columns, if you do look on the right and see if you see Contorl Panel.

Fay
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

Number of posts : 2378
Humor : Age: Older than Dirt!
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Firefox and Java Empty
PostSubject: Re: Firefox and Java   Firefox and Java Empty4/5/2010, 01:19

WC, if you have the regular default start menu setting on your computer, it will be as Fay says above. I always use the Classic start menu. I hate the way the other menu looks. Can't ever find what I'm looking for, I've been in the Classic mode for so long.
Back to top Go down
fay47
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
fay47

Firefox and Java Empty
PostSubject: Re: Firefox and Java   Firefox and Java Empty4/5/2010, 04:46

I use the Classis start menu also just like it better. But from time to time switch it the other way to see what somone is talking about.

Fay
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

Firefox and Java Empty
PostSubject: Re: Firefox and Java   Firefox and Java Empty4/5/2010, 21:39

Thanks, Fay and Repa.

1) Yes, mine has the 2 columns, I always liked it better than the Classic.

2) If I change to the Classic, will I be able to see the Java control panel, because it's not on my regular default start menu setting?

3) And, to change to Classic, don't I right click on an open space on my desktop> & click >Properties? I haven't tried that in a while.
Back to top Go down
fay47
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
fay47

Firefox and Java Empty
PostSubject: Re: Firefox and Java   Firefox and Java Empty4/5/2010, 22:17

WC,

One way to change to the classic is to right click on the start button and select properties and then click the classic view radio button.

But you should not need to change views. With the view you are using, when you click on the start button - you should see Control Panel in the list. When I switch the the style of Start Menu you see, I have a 2 column list and Control Panel is over on the right. When I click on Conrol Panel it opens and i can see a number of Icons including the one for JAVA.be able to .
If you don't see Control Panel when you click on the start button:
Right click on the start button
Click Properties
Click on Customize
Click on the Advanced tab at the top
Under Start Menu Items you should see Control Panel
on mine I have "display as a Link" selected

Hope this helps

Fay
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

Firefox and Java Empty
PostSubject: Re: Firefox and Java   Firefox and Java Empty4/6/2010, 21:12

Fay,

Thanks for the help. I remembered some of it, but, if you haven't tried recently it's easily forgotten!
Back to top Go down
fay47
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
fay47

Firefox and Java Empty
PostSubject: Re: Firefox and Java   Firefox and Java Empty4/6/2010, 21:48

WC,

Glad I could be of help.