Geeks, Geeks and More Geeks
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THIS FORUM IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. SORRY! DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REGISTER; YOUR REQUEST WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

my gmail account

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

Number of posts : 1165
Humor : Yes
Registration date : 2009-10-26

my gmail account Empty
PostSubject: my gmail account   my gmail account Empty9/8/2013, 00:45

Bump......

Repa,

When I click the link to my gmail account it goes directly to my gmail, instead of going to the sign in /login page as it used to do.   I don't know why unless I accidently clicked something to cause this.  I think this started about a week ago.

This is okay with me, but, I was just wondering if you think this might be caused by "one of the bad guys on the internet"?   Could you please give me your view on this, anything to be concerned about?

Do you think I need to be worried about this?

Thanks.......
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

my gmail account Empty
PostSubject: Re: my gmail account   my gmail account Empty9/10/2013, 00:31

Bump......
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

Number of posts : 2378
Humor : Age: Older than Dirt!
Registration date : 2008-09-19

my gmail account Empty
PostSubject: Re: my gmail account   my gmail account Empty9/10/2013, 14:13

You are not getting rid of the google cookie and that is keeping you logged on. Do you have Cookies checked under Internet Explorer in ccleaner to delete cookies? You can also delete cookes while your browser is open - Tools > Internet Options and under the General Tab click the Delete button in the section that says Browsing History.
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

my gmail account Empty
PostSubject: Re: my gmail account   my gmail account Empty9/10/2013, 15:21

I'll check on it.

Is there anything wrong with using it like it is now, & going directly to my email?....it does make it faster, & simpler like that.....

thanks for the reply.....
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

my gmail account Empty
PostSubject: Re: my gmail account   my gmail account Empty9/10/2013, 20:05

not a problem if that is what you want to do. You can select which sites you want to delete or keep cookies from in ccleaner. From the left column, select Options, Cookies, and move the cookies from the left pane into the right pane that you want to keep active. When you run ccleaner, those cookies in the right pane will not be deleted. Google cookies are tracking cookies, so that is why I don't keep them.
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

my gmail account Empty
PostSubject: Re: my gmail account   my gmail account Empty9/10/2013, 23:34

1. When I checked Ccleaner & IE, the Cookies on neither one was checked, which is what I was thinking on Ccleaner......but, that's the way they both have been, I guess ever since I've had them...I'ts for sure, they've been unchecked quite some time though.

2. Google cookies are tracking cookies, so that is why I don't keep them. Yeah, I know google's not to be trusted, but, hey, the way things are now, you can't trust any of the free email services....I had planned to get rid of gmail, but, considering how much trouble it would be for me to do that, & the lack of privacy on the web anyway, I was just resigned to keep it....

3. As I said the cookie boxes in both ccleaner & IE have been unchecked a long time, & until recently I would have to log in at Gmail, then abruptly the log in page didn't come up, & next thing I knew I was into my gmail. Do you know the explanation for that?

4. If I decide on which cookies to keep, it will only be necessary to select the sites in Ccleaner & it should not be necessary to check the box In IE, Right?
Thanks.......

Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

my gmail account Empty
PostSubject: Re: my gmail account   my gmail account Empty9/11/2013, 10:03

wcturner wrote:
1.  When I checked Ccleaner & IE, the Cookies on neither one was checked, which is what I was thinking on Ccleaner......but, that's the way they both have been, I guess ever since I've had them...I'ts for sure, they've been unchecked quite some time though.

2.   Google cookies are tracking cookies, so that is why I don't keep them.   Yeah, I know google's not to be trusted, but, hey, the way things are now, you can't trust any of the free email services....I had planned to get rid of gmail, but, considering how much trouble it would be for me to do that, & the lack of privacy on the web anyway, I was just resigned to keep it....

3.   As I said the cookie boxes in both ccleaner & IE have been unchecked a long time, & until recently I would have to log in at Gmail, then abruptly the log in page didn't come up, & next thing I knew I was into my gmail.   Do you know the explanation for that?

No, sometimes I have to login to sites I've set up in ccleaner to keep the cookies. Perhaps there is a timeout setting on some cookies (like hotmail and even here (Geeks) ) where they expire on the provider's server. I don't know, but nothing to worry about.

4.  If I decide on which cookies to keep, it will only be necessary to select the sites in Ccleaner & it should not be necessary to check the box In IE, Right?

Right - set up what cookies you don't want deleted in ccleaner and run that. If you run ccleaner everyday, no need to run the Delete in your IE browser. Just make sure all blocks are checked under Internet Explorer except the last 2 (autocomplete form history and passwords).

Thanks.......

Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

my gmail account Empty
PostSubject: Re: my gmail account   my gmail account Empty11/16/2013, 13:48

I'm EDITING here11:53 AM CST: I just noticed this might not need to be here, maybe I should have started a New Thread, Not sure?

Repa
 I'm having a difficult time understanding this, patience please.  Screenshot:

my gmail account Google10

1.   I didn't remove these threats yet til I posted here.   I looks like my gmail cookies again.  After this post I'll run scan again, & Remove the threats & see if gmail will work to login.   I forgot to do your instructions in your reply post above, but, gmail requires those Cookies, found in the SuperAntispyware scan, in order to work.....Is that correct?

2.  I guess my best bet would be to stop using my Google Gmail account & set up another account like Yahoo or similar account, in order to prevent googles' snooping?  I hate to think about having to set up another new account, but is there any other way?   For as long as I use Gmail, I'll be subject to their Tracking?   I'd appreciate if you can explain so even I can understand.......

Thanks....
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

my gmail account Empty
PostSubject: Re: my gmail account   my gmail account Empty11/16/2013, 15:51

1) Yes
2) No, just run ccleaner when you are done using gmail
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

my gmail account Empty
PostSubject: Re: my gmail account   my gmail account Empty11/18/2013, 01:39

my gmail account Google11

1. Repa, Just thought of this, this screenshot shows the tracking cookies that I've been picking up, & it is just since I installed Firefox, will I still keep finding these adware cookies when I scan with SuperAntiSpyware?

2. Repa said: You are not getting rid of the google cookie and that is keeping you logged on. Do you have Cookies checked under Internet Explorer in ccleaner to delete cookies? No, I do not have Cookies checked under Internet Explorer in ccleaner to delete cookies, You had told me at one time to leave the Cookies box unchecked...but, in order to stop google tracking me & to prevent SuperAntiSpyware from finding them won't I need to check that Cookie box in Ccleaner?
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

my gmail account Empty
PostSubject: Re: my gmail account   my gmail account Empty11/18/2013, 15:10

In ccleaner, select Cookies to be deleted. Select the Options icon > Cookies. In the left pane are the cookies that will be deleted when you Run Ccleaner. If there are certain cookies you don't want deleted, select them one at a time and then select the > symbol in the middle of the page to move the selection over into the right pane. That should take care of your concern.

When you are using firefox, you can also accomplish getting rid of your tracking cookies (but it will get rid of all cookies) by selecting Tools > Options > Privacy and under "Acceipt cookies from sites" next to "Keep until:" click the pull-down arrow and select either "I close firefox" or "ask me everytime."
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

my gmail account Empty
PostSubject: Re: my gmail account   my gmail account Empty11/19/2013, 01:13

1. When I posted above yesterday, I realize now that I was confusing "Cookies" with the "Saved Passwords" in Ccleaner.

2. And, what I'm trying to do is to prevent Superantispyware from confusing the needed cookies of google gmail each time I run a scan.

Repa said:When you are using firefox, you can also accomplish getting rid of your tracking cookies (but it will get rid of all cookies) by selecting Tools > Options > Privacy and under "Acceipt cookies from sites" next to "Keep until:" click the pull-down arrow and select either "I close firefox" or "ask me everytime."
And, by following your instructions (above) for Firefox, won't that prevent/ stop Superantispyware from having those cookies to find?

3. I posted a question yesterday about "Avast Webrap", it appears that you did not see it.? Would you mind taking a look at it when time permits?

Thanks.......
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

my gmail account Empty
PostSubject: Re: my gmail account   my gmail account Empty11/19/2013, 01:40

You can use either method I stated in my last post to get rid of the cookies that SuperAntiSpyware is detecting. If you do, you will have to logon to gmail each time you go there. It's up to you whether you use ccleaner or firefox to get rid of the cookie that is being detected by Superantispyware.

It's not clear to me whether you want to keep that cookie or not. if you do, you need to save it in ccleaner as I've told you before how to do to prevent it from being deleted and when you run Superantispyware again, select the cookies that appear that you want to prevent from being deleted and click the "Trust selected item" on the right side of the page. That will prevent that/those cookies from being detected again.
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

my gmail account Empty
PostSubject: Re: my gmail account   my gmail account Empty11/19/2013, 02:25

Repa,  Sorry I'm having so much trouble with this!......

Listen, I changed the  "Accept cookies from sites" option to: "Keep until:" click the pull-down arrow and select either "I close firefox" or "ask me every time."  
And, look at this screenshot, It was my intention to ask you why I keep getting these pop up windows, then light bulb went off & I think it's because I changed to  "ask me every time".?  I think I need to change it to "When Firefox closes".  Is this correct?

my gmail account Modify10
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

my gmail account Empty
PostSubject: Re: my gmail account   my gmail account Empty11/19/2013, 15:05

This is how I manage cookies setting in Firefox. Sometimes there are certain cookies I want around most of the day from sites I normally don't frequent except occasionally, as I may open and close Firefox several times during the day. Then I use ccleaner to delete them all when I no longer need them. For sites that I frequent everyday, several times a day like for example hotmail. facebook, and geeks, I prevent ccleaner from deleting them so I don't have to login everytime I open the browser from day to day. That's how I do it. If you prefer cookies to be deleted everytime you close firefox, then set it up that way. Here's a screenshot of the firefox settings I use:  

my gmail account Firefo11

Last edited by Repa on 11/19/2013, 19:53; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

my gmail account Empty
PostSubject: Re: my gmail account   my gmail account Empty11/19/2013, 17:41

1. I used to have my cookies setting in Firefox just like you have yours....then, last night I changed the setting on the "Keep Until" box to Until I close Firefox.

2. I would like to keep the settings like you have yours, so I don't have to keep logging in to sites that I frequent several times a day, as you do,,
but, if I leave it set like yours, Superantispyware will keep perceiving the google.com cookies as threats, & I don't know what to do now, if that happens....all I know to do is DELETE them, I didn't see any quarantine.

3. So, is my only option in #1 above, to keep Until I close Firefox???
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

my gmail account Empty
PostSubject: Re: my gmail account   my gmail account Empty11/19/2013, 20:17

WC, unless you have paid for the realtime version of Superantispyware, you only need to run it once every 2 weeks or so, or as I told you, mark those cookies as "Trusted Items" in Superantispyware the next time it detects them so it doesn't quarantine them.
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

my gmail account Empty
PostSubject: Re: my gmail account   my gmail account Empty11/20/2013, 01:23

No, I've still got the free version....I've been running the scan every week since it only takes about 3 minutes to run...I thought more is better..?....I'll mark them as Trusted if found any more...In my screenshot of Superantispyware Quarantine does not show....Can you tell me where it is located?
Thanks for the help!
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

my gmail account Empty
PostSubject: Re: my gmail account   my gmail account Empty11/20/2013, 10:36

You have to take the action yourself to delete or quarantine or ignore after the scan is complete and items are displayed. I just didn't know what you were doing with them. As often as you have been posting screenshots, I thought you were running it everyday or had the paid for version.
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

my gmail account Empty
PostSubject: Re: my gmail account   my gmail account Empty11/20/2013, 15:13

As often as you have been posting screenshots, I thought you were running it everyday or had the paid for version.

No, I have been scanning weekly, but, I think I'll do as you said & only scan about twice a month.....about the scrshots, I'll do them & keep them on file to post later, so, no daily scans.....

thanks......
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

my gmail account Empty
PostSubject: Re: my gmail account   my gmail account Empty

Back to top Go down

my gmail account
Page 1 of 1