Geeks, Geeks and More Geeks
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THIS FORUM IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. SORRY! DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REGISTER; YOUR REQUEST WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

more winxp

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
fay47
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
fay47

Number of posts : 1480
Registration date : 2008-10-17
Mood : none

more winxp Empty
PostSubject: more winxp   more winxp Empty2/12/2014, 16:52

I have been reading some more on using XP online after April.

The XP computer , I would only be going online in the even that my win 7 computer was not working. Hope that does not happen. But if it does- I will be needing to get to some websites. Have been reading about ways to minimum risk.

Several things were suggested that are sometimes recommended anyway ; disable remote desktop and remote assistance, use a browser than IE, use a limited account, disable java, keep software up to date , block bad sites (I use immunize of SpyBot, etc.
I am also deleing all data off the XP computer- deleting temp files , cookies etc. Pretty much clearing everything out except programs I want to keep there to use in case of trouble with win 7 computer.

Another thing suggested was to used another firewall rather than windows firewall- because they would stop support the for xp window firewall also.
What firewall would you suggest - is zonealarm a good one - or is there a better one?. Looks like comodo also contains antivirus and I think I prefer to stay with AVAST.

Thanks
Fay

Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

Number of posts : 2378
Humor : Age: Older than Dirt!
Registration date : 2008-09-19

more winxp Empty
PostSubject: Re: more winxp   more winxp Empty2/12/2014, 22:51

Looks like you pretty much have all your bases covered. I would choose ZoneAlarm for a software firewall over the other free firewall applications.
Back to top Go down
fay47
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
fay47

Number of posts : 1480
Registration date : 2008-10-17
Mood : none

more winxp Empty
PostSubject: Re: more winxp   more winxp Empty2/12/2014, 22:53

Repa,

Thanks, then that is probably what I will do.

Fay
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

more winxp Empty
PostSubject: Re: more winxp   more winxp Empty

Back to top Go down

more winxp
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Geeks, Geeks and More Geeks :: Windows Computer Help :: Computer Discussion-
Jump to: