Geeks, Geeks and More Geeks
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THIS FORUM IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. SORRY! DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REGISTER; YOUR REQUEST WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Secunia Personal Software Inspector

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Rike
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Number of posts : 143
Registration date : 2008-10-21
Mood : fine

Secunia Personal Software Inspector Empty
PostSubject: Secunia Personal Software Inspector   Secunia Personal Software Inspector Empty2/12/2009, 19:44

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned here before, but Secunia PSI is a nifty, FREE program:

"Patching Windows isn't enough. Applications like audio players, e-mail clients, or photo editors can also have dangerous security flaws. Some of these programs download patches automatically, but others don't. Luckily, a Danish company called Secunia offers a simple solution. Secunia's Personal Software Inspector scans your computer for thousands of common Windows programs, then tells you if there's an available patch. It then points to websites where updates are available. In many cases, it will automatically link to the update server. Click an icon, and the program is immediately patched. This Secunia program is good stuff. Better yet, it's free stuff, available for downloading at no charge."

I use it because I like to turn off the automatic checks of individual programs, and Secunia PSI keeps an eye on them and lets me know when I need to update.
Back to top Go down
http://rikespages.spaces.live.com/
goofrey
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2009-01-21

PostSubject: Re: Secunia Personal Software Inspector   Secunia Personal Software Inspector Empty2/18/2009, 00:42

Hi Rike,
I too was using Secunia PSI to monitor for updates,but as it was working at start-up & it was just one more thing slowing the computer down(would not be a problem if I just put more ram in),so I uninstalled it.
No other problem it works quite fine & I did like how it worked to notify you to update automatically,but now I use File Hippo Updater to check for updates although you need to launch it.More work & you need to remember to do it but it suits my needs.
One more thing,when I was using Secunia PSI and updating Java I noticed that their were several older versions still installed,Java doesn't uninstall old versions when installing newer versions.So to get to the point there is a program that checks for the newest version & deletes old instances.Here is a link to the blog that I read about it in. http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-remove-old-versions-of-java-from-your-windows-pc/

Goof
Back to top Go down
Rike
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Number of posts : 143
Registration date : 2008-10-21
Mood : fine

PostSubject: Re: Secunia Personal Software Inspector   Secunia Personal Software Inspector Empty2/18/2009, 03:30

Goofrey - thank you so much for the suggestions and the link. I get so very tired of Java - installing new, un-installing old - if I could get along without it, I'd be very happy. I think I will really like the "JavaRa".
About the Secunia PSI, I believe Secunia also has a web based inspector that you don't have to download, you just run the check-up from their website. For a while, I was very tempted to un-install PSI, since it seemed to find something wrong almost every day! But it seems that I have caught up with all the unsafe applications - at least for a while.
Back to top Go down
http://rikespages.spaces.live.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Secunia Personal Software Inspector   Secunia Personal Software Inspector Empty

Back to top Go down

Secunia Personal Software Inspector
Page 1 of 1