Geeks, Geeks and More Geeks
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THIS FORUM IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. SORRY! DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REGISTER; YOUR REQUEST WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

MAlicious Software removal Tool

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
angelface1961
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
angelface1961

Number of posts : 579
Registration date : 2009-01-10
Mood : fine

MAlicious Software removal Tool Empty
PostSubject: MAlicious Software removal Tool   MAlicious Software removal Tool Empty3/11/2010, 14:53

Ok, I think I have asked this before but

DO you run the malicious software removal tool when you download it? Do you delete the old ones when you are done? Since I obviously have not run any of these can I go back and run them from the past few months?
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

Number of posts : 2378
Humor : Age: Older than Dirt!
Registration date : 2008-09-19

PostSubject: Re: MAlicious Software removal Tool   MAlicious Software removal Tool Empty3/11/2010, 18:43

HI Holly, saw your pictures on facebook and added you as a friend. Thanks for the invite. It's nice to put a face with a name. I have no idea what all that stuff is on facebook - fans, gifts, farmville, etc. What is all that stuff anyway? Looks like you have to give access to stuff I really don't want some people having if you participate in that stuff.

I really don't think I like facebook, and have gotten a lot of spam since I joined, even though my email address was hidden from all but friends. Now, it is only viewable by me. I may not stay there as most of what is going on doesn't make much sense to me - very little seems intuitively obvious and I don't know what to do more than half the time. Never thought you'd hear me say that, huh? (lol)

Ok, the way you should use the malicious software removal tool is to download the new version each month from:

http://www.microsoft.com/security/malwareremove/default.aspx

and put the tool in a folder of your choice, like a "My Downloads" folder that you have created yourself. From there, click on the tool and you will be given options for running it. The options are:

Quick Scan - only important areas of your computer where malicious software is more likely to be found

Full Scan - scans your entire system

Custom Scan - scans an area or folder of your choosing

You should get the latest version each month and run it, and delete the previous version.

BTW, I'm almost done with the workbooks, only one more to go. Hopefully I will have everything online by the week of 21-27 March and we can get the class started.
Back to top Go down
angelface1961
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
angelface1961

PostSubject: Re: MAlicious Software removal Tool   MAlicious Software removal Tool Empty3/11/2010, 23:02

Cool about the workbooks.

Ok do I run it regular or in safe mode?
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

Number of posts : 2378
Humor : Age: Older than Dirt!
Registration date : 2008-09-19

PostSubject: Re: MAlicious Software removal Tool   MAlicious Software removal Tool Empty3/14/2010, 16:19

You can run it in either mode, but if you do have malware, sometimes the malware can prevent you from detecting it in normal mode, while it won't be running in safe mode and therefore much more likely that the anti-malware application will detect it. It does usually take the anti-virus/anti-malware longer to run in safe mode, but if you are suspicious that you do have malware, safe mode is where you should be.
Back to top Go down
angelface1961
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
angelface1961

PostSubject: Re: MAlicious Software removal Tool   MAlicious Software removal Tool Empty3/14/2010, 16:59

Cool thanks
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: MAlicious Software removal Tool   MAlicious Software removal Tool Empty

Back to top Go down

MAlicious Software removal Tool
Page 1 of 1