Geeks, Geeks and More Geeks
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THIS FORUM IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. SORRY! DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REGISTER; YOUR REQUEST WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

question on network card

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
fay47
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
fay47

Number of posts : 1480
Registration date : 2008-10-17
Mood : none

question on network card Empty
PostSubject: question on network card   question on network card Empty3/23/2010, 16:11

I am still looking at computers. I think I have found the one I want on HP's site and am looking at the custom options. (I currently have an HP and have like it.) For the network card, it looks like there is not an option to have both a ethernet and wireless. That is fine for now, I want an ethernet card, but what if I decided later I want a wireless? What would I have to do?

Fay
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

Number of posts : 2378
Humor : Age: Older than Dirt!
Registration date : 2008-09-19

PostSubject: Re: question on network card   question on network card Empty3/23/2010, 23:58

Fay, there should be an ethernet port on there even though the computer is wireless. What model HP computer is it? You could contact HP sales and verify it one way or the other.
Back to top Go down
angelface1961
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
angelface1961

Number of posts : 579
Registration date : 2009-01-10
Mood : fine

PostSubject: Re: question on network card   question on network card Empty3/24/2010, 00:19

But if there is an ethernet port she would have to be hard wired to a router or modem correct? Where an ethernet card she could be wireless.

Sorry if I hijacked.
Back to top Go down
fay47
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
fay47

PostSubject: Re: question on network card   question on network card Empty3/24/2010, 03:22

I am looking at 2 different computer models
http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/computer_can_series.do?storeName=computer_store&category=desktops&a1=Category&v1=High+performance&series_name=HPE180t_series&jumpid=in_R329_prodexp/hhoslp/psg/desktops/High_performance/HPE180t_series

and

http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/computer_can_series.do?storeName=computer_store&category=desktops&a1=Category&v1=High+performance&series_name=HPE170t_series&jumpid=in_R329_prodexp/hhoslp/psg/desktops/High_performance/HPE170t_series

On both of them - when I go to the customize screen and go to the network card selection, there are radio buttons to select what you want. Integrated etgernet is the default. If I click on any of the wireless options - it un-selects the integrated Ethernet.

As I said, that is really ok for now, I don't really want wireless at this time. But, Whatever computer I get I plan on having for a long tine. I have had my current one for about 7 years. Just want to make sure I'll be able to use it to do what I need in the years to come.

Thanks,
Fay
Back to top Go down
angelface1961
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
angelface1961

Number of posts : 579
Registration date : 2009-01-10
Mood : fine

PostSubject: Re: question on network card   question on network card Empty3/24/2010, 11:04

Ah misunderstood sorry
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

Number of posts : 2378
Humor : Age: Older than Dirt!
Registration date : 2008-09-19

PostSubject: Re: question on network card   question on network card Empty3/24/2010, 13:36

I took a look at the computer specs and it does look like you get either one or the other, but not both, but I'd call to make sure. They may give you both options if you order over the phone and install both cards needed as a custom order.

Or, you can get the ethernet card installed on the computer at HP and then go to a place like Staples or Best Buy and get either a USB Wireless Network adapter, or a Wireless Desktop Card Network adapter and install the card yourself at a later time. These are probably your least expensive options. Network adapters start around $12 and go up from there, but even the most expensive are cheap.

When you go wireless, you will need a wireless router, or a WiFi Access Point that you can connect to your existing ethernet router.
Back to top Go down
fay47
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
fay47

PostSubject: Re: question on network card   question on network card Empty3/24/2010, 14:48

Repa,

Ok, I think I will just stick with the ethernet for now. If I undersand you correctly, I should be able to add what I need for wireless later, if I decide I want it.

Thanks,
Fay
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: question on network card   question on network card Empty

Back to top Go down

question on network card
Page 1 of 1