Geeks, Geeks and More Geeks
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THIS FORUM IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. SORRY! DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REGISTER; YOUR REQUEST WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Avast Update Stalled

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

Number of posts : 1165
Humor : Yes
Registration date : 2009-10-26

Avast Update Stalled Empty
PostSubject: Avast Update Stalled   Avast Update Stalled Empty8/21/2012, 15:31

Repa,

I first tried to manually update the engine & virus definitions, and there's a new avast program update available, and they just sat there for a longer time than usual and the progress bar never showed signs of any updating.

I tried restarting the computer, I tried Avast Repair from the Add/Remove list. The avast orange ball icon is spinning & says your system is secure. While I was trying to post this message, I got to the last sentence above and I kept clicking the Send button and I finally had to click the "X" in the right corner to close browser.

When I got back to the desktop, I decided to try System Restore. I restored to yesterday afternoon. When completed, I opened Avast again to see what was happening in there. It still showed the New Avast update was available, and the virus defs still had not updated. Since the Restore I did the program update at least a couple of times, and it was showing the program was indeed updated from old version 7.0.1456, updated to new version 7.0.1466.

But, after all that, it still shows that the program still needs updating. The Avast orange ball still says System is Secure, and the virus definitions did update and they appear Okay. And, get this, when I finished all the above and I was trying to return here and re-do this post, the geeks board re-opened here where I left off typing this message. Is that strange or what?

What do you think? Avast corrupt?
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

Number of posts : 2378
Humor : Age: Older than Dirt!
Registration date : 2008-09-19

PostSubject: Re: Avast Update Stalled   Avast Update Stalled Empty8/22/2012, 19:13

If it is showing as secure and you got the new version, it should be ok. Watch it for a couple of days to make sure it comes up ok and gets the virus definition updates. You shouldn't have to do those manually. Check your update settings to make sure Automatic update for the Virus Definitions is selected: Maintenance > Update >Settings > Updates
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

Number of posts : 1165
Humor : Yes
Registration date : 2009-10-26

PostSubject: Re: Avast Update Stalled   Avast Update Stalled Empty8/24/2012, 14:29

Repa,

On 8/21/12, I meant to tell you that after I did the system restore, & all the other stuff & since I wasn't completely sure that all systems was "Go", so I finally just turned the computer off. Later in the day I turned it back on, and found that all Avast was up to date.

Now in answer to your last post, my virus definitions were already set to Auto updates. And, I also changed my Program Updates to "Automatic". I think for me that would be easier to make sure it stays up to date. And, computer has been doing OK for the last several days.

Don't you think that is Okay?
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

Number of posts : 2378
Humor : Age: Older than Dirt!
Registration date : 2008-09-19

PostSubject: Re: Avast Update Stalled   Avast Update Stalled Empty8/24/2012, 20:11

Sounds like it's ok.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Avast Update Stalled   Avast Update Stalled Empty

Back to top Go down

Avast Update Stalled
Page 1 of 1