Geeks, Geeks and More Geeks
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THIS FORUM IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. SORRY! DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REGISTER; YOUR REQUEST WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Email Failure Notices

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

Number of posts : 1165
Humor : Yes
Registration date : 2009-10-26

Email Failure Notices Empty
PostSubject: Email Failure Notices   Email Failure Notices Empty10/17/2012, 23:18

Repa,

I'm concerned about receiving 6 or 7 emails with the "damon failure" notices, i'm sure you know what i mean, i can't think of the whole description . I have one guy that is on my email list & his email is at his office, & I get those damon notices frequently from him. I might have messed up by opening up one of those "damons" to see if it was from him, but it was not, so i deleted it promptly. The Avast, and windows defender scans today afterward didn't find anything infected. But, thinking back on the situation I wonder did screw up or not? Your opinion please.? Should I run all my "quick" scans with all my apps, or what, in regular mode, safe mode, or what?

Please advise?

EDIT: Thus./10/18/2012 I failed to include the following email i received after i began getting the Mailer-Daemon@yahoo Failure Notices. This comes from someone in my address book. I also received another Mailer-Daemon@yahoo Failure Notice today, but I did not open it.

Your e-mail account may have been hacked as we received a message from your address composed of a link to what appeared to be an “adult” website. The link was not followed and the message was deleted.

Please Advise.

EDIT: ABOUT 10 MINUTES LATER: One other thing, yesterday, i deleted all those "Daemon" notices, & when i went to Trash & Spam folders the deleted notices were no where to be found. That seems strange to me, does it to you?
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

Number of posts : 2378
Humor : Age: Older than Dirt!
Registration date : 2008-09-19

PostSubject: Re: Email Failure Notices   Email Failure Notices Empty10/18/2012, 23:07

You get those Mailer-Daemon notices when you email someone and the email cannot be delivered. Did you notice who the receipent was supposed to be? You may have some email addresses in your contacts list that are no longer valid.

The account hack notice is to be taken very seriously. Go into your email account and change your profile and password. Any questions you are asked to give an answer to in case you forget your password need to be changed. If you furnished any personal information such as DOB, phone number, etc, you need to change, even if you have to lie, like your DOB, for example. Never give your real DOB, Phone #, etc to set up an account unless it is something like Pay Pal or ebay. You need to always use a very strong password that has a combination of upper and lower-case letters, numbers and special characters (@, #, $) for any internet accounts you have. It should be at least 12 to 16 characters in length, and should not contain any words. Example:TjA$D0fWc@9O7#K
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: Email Failure Notices   Email Failure Notices Empty10/19/2012, 00:34

You get those Mailer-Daemon notices when you email someone and the email cannot be delivered. Did you notice who the receipent was supposed to be?

I received another one today and saved it in case you asked questions, but, I'm reluctant to open it. And, the reason is the possible "Hacking" notice that my friend sent to me. I posted what he said in the first post post above in the "Red" letters, and he thought that my email was possibly hacked.

As I previously mentioned I occasionally get a Daemon from only one of my friends, and what made me suspicious, & afraid to open more than just the one that I did open, was the fact that yesterday I had 7 or 8 of those Daemon failures. I've never received that many at one time before, never more than 1 at a time.

I ran a Bootscan earlier, about 2 hours ago, and "No Threats" found. And, my daily Avast and Windows Defender scans have found nothing.

1) Do you not find it strange that the 7-8 Daemons that I deleted yesterday are not in my email Trash or Spam folders?

2) The Daemon Failure notice I received today, should I open it, or just delete it?
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: Email Failure Notices   Email Failure Notices Empty10/19/2012, 20:03

Repa,

1) I didn't see any place to change my yahoo profile. I don't suppose you know where to do that??

2) Do I have to be overly concerned regarding online banking, ording online & that kind of thing, since my friend said he received a message that came from my address???? That's what I'm worried about now.?

Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

PostSubject: Re: Email Failure Notices   Email Failure Notices Empty10/19/2012, 21:14

someone has hacked into your email account. I don't use yahoo, so can't tell you where to go. Look along the top of the page for a link to your account information and go in there and change the things I mentioned. If you can find how to delete your account, you should be able to find your account information and where you change your password and any questions you have to answer if you lose your password.
Back to top Go down
fay47
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
fay47

Number of posts : 1480
Registration date : 2008-10-17
Mood : none

PostSubject: Re: Email Failure Notices   Email Failure Notices Empty10/19/2012, 21:43

wc,
I have a secondary yahoo account, that I use when I sign up for boards etc, to help pevent spam in my main-email. I do not use it much - but went out and checked it. Try this.

1. sign onto your yahoo epamil
2. th the uppe left it should say HI, (and your name)
3. left click on the down arrow
4. click account info
5. you may then have to enter your password again
6. select the thing you need to changever on he left and ckick on it

Let me know how it goes.

Fay

Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: Email Failure Notices   Email Failure Notices Empty10/20/2012, 01:21

i found it finally! Thanks Fay. Let me see if I can get it changed now.

Repa,

1) so when you get your email hacked, none of our apps, avast, spybot, etc, are able to pick up on the hacking???

2) After i change the password, & all, I should be good to go after that, right?

3) EDIT: Is it Okay to allow my new password to be remembered when it asks me on the drop down menu?
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

PostSubject: Re: Email Failure Notices   Email Failure Notices Empty10/20/2012, 10:09

Answers to questions:

1) correct
2) yes
3) yes
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: Email Failure Notices   Email Failure Notices Empty10/20/2012, 12:20

Repa,
1) I reset a new password last night with many characters. When I tried to sign in with it, the new PW was not recognized. It was late so I quit for the day.

2) I went to yahoo to reset a new PW. Before I did I decided to set up a seal with a color code and a text message to identify a true Yahoo sign in page so I would know I was not directed to a phoney yahoo look alike sign in.
They sent me info to my other email address to be able to do a new PW reset.
I was just trying to reset, yet again today, another new password, this time with a different number of characters.
While I was writing out my characters, and before I finished the new password,and before I typed it the second time on the line below the first line to confirm, at the top of the page it said we have confirmed your identity, and it had the incorrect number of characters on the new password line. I closed out the browser and scrammed outta there, & over here to type this message. Isn't that strange?
What do you think? Is that "Hackers at work, or what?

EDIT at 3:46PM CDT: 3) Ok, as mentioned, I had previously set up the yahoo Security Seal that ensures that you are signing into a real yahoo email site. Today, the seal was not showing up, so I went in and reset the Seal again. Afterward, just now it began showing the Seal. I'm still having to use my old password to enter my email account. As I try to sign in, the new password that I tried to reset last nite, appears in the PW line (it was remembered), but when I click sign in it says invalid. So, I've still got to get yahoo to accept a new password somehow. I don't know why yahoo didn't keep my Seal, because I clicked the "Save" button when I completed that, or why it won't recognize my new password that I had "Re-set last nite??

4) I hope you can advise me on this. Is it Okay to do any banking or online ordering until I get my Yahoo new password set, or should that type of stuff be kept on hold?
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

PostSubject: Re: Email Failure Notices   Email Failure Notices Empty10/20/2012, 19:31

I don't know about yahoo since I don't use it, but it may restrict you to a range of characters, like no less than 6 and no more than 12, something like that. Yahoo email is not on your computer, it is on a server, so the problems you are having have nothing to do with online banking or ordering online.
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: Email Failure Notices   Email Failure Notices Empty10/20/2012, 22:39

Thanks, Repa I just finished resetting my new password again. I found some info that said wait 24 hours to try the new password, a security thing. So, I guess I'll wait, I;m tired of this.

Maybe this will cure the "hacking" problem. Got a question. If my friend had not sent the heads up alert of hacking, how would I have ever known this was going on?????

Thanks again!
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

PostSubject: Re: Email Failure Notices   Email Failure Notices Empty10/21/2012, 09:21

usually you'll get an email from yourself that you didn't send, but not always. To avoid future incidents, change your password every 60 days or so and always use strong passwords with a mix of upper and lower case letters, numbers and special characters, and don't use words in the password. You might have a place in your profile where you can specify that you want to change your password every 60 or 72 days or so, and if so, you will be forced to change it at that time.
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: Email Failure Notices   Email Failure Notices Empty10/21/2012, 13:26

Repa,

This morning my wife was placing an order online at Amazon. When she got to the point of replying to "Shipping Address", that page came up and on the left side it said something about a gift address, and had the name of a stranger to us, that lives in Cal. and on the right side of the page had wife's address. She asked me about it, and I said I haven't a clue who that is. She is the world's worst about security. She was going to try to delete that person's name, or somehow get rid of it, but, I said, no, hold on! This sounds like phishing or a scam of some kind. I said you need to call Amazon, and inform them about the situation, so they can take care of it. The Amazon Rep. she got, from what my wife told me, didn't have any idea about what she was doing. I said that you need to ask for a supervisor, to save time and get to the bottom of this. So, naturally, she didn't take my advice, and after a long wait for the Rep. to check with someone, she came back and said she turned it over to their investigators or something and that they would get back to her in a day or 2. Then she could place her order.

What's your take on this???
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

PostSubject: Re: Email Failure Notices   Email Failure Notices Empty10/21/2012, 21:39

WC, I don't know because I don't order anything online from Amazon or anywhere else. If I can't order by phone or snail mail, I don't order at all. Why? SECURITY!
Back to top Go down
fay47
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
fay47

Number of posts : 1480
Registration date : 2008-10-17
Mood : none

PostSubject: Re: Email Failure Notices   Email Failure Notices Empty10/21/2012, 21:55

WC,

I can not really say, but from what you said, I think I might a bit concerned.

With Amazon, you can have your order sent to a different address from the billing address.
This is from their site:
Quote :
We make it easy to send most items as gifts. You may send the items in your Shopping Cart to different shipping addresses--simply specify the name and shipping address of each recipient when you fill out the order form.

I have ordered from Amazon several times and have not had a difrernet adrress come up like that.

I do not know where it would have gotten the address it displayed on the left, but I would think it might be a good idea to check your order status and see if there is says anything about it being sent to a different address.

Fay
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: Email Failure Notices   Email Failure Notices Empty10/21/2012, 23:43

Repa, Touche'

Amazon has their investigators on it currently, and supposed to let us know what they find out.
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

PostSubject: Re: Email Failure Notices   Email Failure Notices Empty10/22/2012, 11:46

didn't really understand what you were talking about until Fay posted. Not only do you want to check your Amazon account for intrusion by some hacker, but also check the credit card or paypal account that you have given Amazon for ordering to see if there is anything on there that you didn't order. If someone hacked into your Amazon account, then likely your identity has been stolen ( name, address, credit card#/paypal account #, phone # if specified, DOB if specified, etc.). You need to get on all that immediately, get any payments stopped, and have your credit card/paypal account cancelled and changed to new account numbers. Change the Amazon password to a very strong password like you did for your yahoo mail, and change your identifying information and security questions that are used to verify it is you if you forget your password. Check to make sure that the email address that Amazon would contact you with is not changed as well. You may even want to just delete the Amazon account you have and create a new one - that would be the safest thing to do.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Email Failure Notices   Email Failure Notices Empty

Back to top Go down

Email Failure Notices
Page 1 of 1