Geeks, Geeks and More Geeks
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THIS FORUM IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. SORRY! DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REGISTER; YOUR REQUEST WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

backups

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
fay47
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
fay47

Number of posts : 1480
Registration date : 2008-10-17
Mood : none

backups Empty
PostSubject: backups   backups Empty11/24/2012, 14:48

Repa,

Did you find any free backup software you really like?. So far I like the back4sure, but I do things differently than a lot of people LOL I really do not like backups running on their own and I really like the feature that will get rid of deleted files. Just wondered if you have found anytying you like - and why.

Fay
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

Number of posts : 2378
Humor : Age: Older than Dirt!
Registration date : 2008-09-19

backups Empty
PostSubject: Re: backups   backups Empty11/24/2012, 16:57

Fay, with my wife having a total hip replacement in October, my oldest son visiting the end of September, my youngest son visiting now, I've barely had time to do anything more than answer questions here and take care of Frances until she healed and was able to do things for herself. She is doing great, was able to walk up the stairs to the bedroom the first night home from the hospital, got rid of the walker after 2 weeks, and the cane a week later. She gets tired easy, but she's getting around quite well on her own and no pain whatsoever, praise the Lord!

One of the articles I gave WC in the other thread to read at lifehacker.com gives a fairly decent review of Windows 7 Backup for files and folders, having the scheduling feature and being able to do intermediate backups (detecting changes and doing only the change), etc. I'm going to look at that, and Cobian Backup, and Back4sure and choose the one I think is the most reliable and easiest to maintain and make changes to as needed. I like Macrium Reflect for making system images and cloning the hard drive. I image each partition separately and will start cloning the entire hard drive as I plan to do some things that involve some risk with my compaq - it has 4 primary partitions and no data volume, and I want a data volume. Looking at making one of the primary partitions logical and dividing it into logical partitions, but there are risks involved, so I want to be sure I can recover if things don't go right, and I need to wait until I have more time on my hands to do it in case something does go wrong and I have to recover the system.
Back to top Go down
fay47
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
fay47

Number of posts : 1480
Registration date : 2008-10-17
Mood : none

backups Empty
PostSubject: Re: backups   backups Empty11/24/2012, 17:57

Repa,

Yes, you have certainly have a lot on your plate. This question is not important, I was just curious.

Like I said I like that back4sure gives the option to clean up deleted files. I was surprised that other did not do that. I delete files often and do not like all the junk being left in my back up files.

I like Macrium Refect also. I made the original rescue disks from the widows option but have been using Macrium Reflect to create the images on my hard drive, I created the resuce disk on CD. But this NetBook does not have a CD player, Discovered that Macrium had instructions for putting the rescue file on a flash drive and I did that. Do not remember how if I need to it again will have to go figure it out again. Wish my memory was better,

I wasn playing around on my new computer (not so new now) with creating partitions - forgot whcih program, does EASUS sound right. May have over done it a little by I like it.
I have C partion for the OS etc
Have another partition for most of my data,
Another for pictures etc
anotger for things I am playing aroun with to try out stuff, manuals I have downloadded etc
and one for user stuff like emails I moved from the C drive

Fay
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

backups Empty
PostSubject: Re: backups   backups Empty

Back to top Go down

backups
Page 1 of 1