Geeks, Geeks and More Geeks
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THIS FORUM IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. SORRY! DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REGISTER; YOUR REQUEST WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Firefox Browser

Go down 
3 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
fay47
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
fay47

Number of posts : 1480
Registration date : 2008-10-17
Mood : none

Firefox Browser - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Firefox Browser   Firefox Browser - Page 2 Empty11/8/2013, 02:14

WC

Thought I had made another post but do not see if - so if I have already posted this just ignore.

On the FireFox cookie issued
GO to the Privacy tab
where it says Remember History - click on the down arrow and select Use Custom Settings for History - then it will give you some more options.

Let me know if this helps or not.

Fay
Back to top Go down
fay47
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
fay47

PostSubject: Re: Firefox Browser   Firefox Browser - Page 2 Empty11/8/2013, 02:15

WC

Yeah, I am on a spare computer right now - having major problems with my main computer.
Have someone coming to check it out tomorrow - hope he can fix it.

Fay
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

Number of posts : 2378
Humor : Age: Older than Dirt!
Registration date : 2008-09-19

PostSubject: Re: Firefox Browser   Firefox Browser - Page 2 Empty11/8/2013, 10:33

you can find older versions of Avast here:

http://www.filehippo.com/download_avast_antivirus/4903/

Be sure you uninstall avast in Programs and Features, and then delete the avast Alwil Software folder at
C>Program Files>Alwil Software if it is still there after the uninstall before you install the older version.

If, by the remote chance, you have a problem with the uninstall or after installing the old version, download and run the utility Avast has for uninstalling Avast, and be sure to read the instructions on the following download page:

http://www.avast.com/en-us/uninstall-utility
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

Number of posts : 1165
Humor : Yes
Registration date : 2009-10-26

PostSubject: Re: Firefox Browser   Firefox Browser - Page 2 Empty11/9/2013, 00:42

A.  Got the following from a search "To enable cookies" at Mozilla website: 11/07/13....But was afraid to follow their instructions, since I'm not sure it would apply to my situation??

Was this just a one version update (Firefox 21 to Firefox 22), or did you have a much older version before?

In Firefox, cookies are enabled by default, so unless one of your add-ons is blocking them, you might just need to flush the ones you have and let Google set them again from scratch.

When you have a problem with one particular site, a good "first thing to try" is clearing your Firefox cache and deleting your saved cookies for the site.

(1) Bypass Firefox's Cache

Use Ctrl+Shift+r to reload the page fresh from the server.

Alternately, you also can clear Firefox's cache completely using:

orange Firefox button (or Tools menu) > Options > Advanced

On the Network mini-tab > Cached Web Content : "Clear Now"

If you have a large hard drive, this might take a few minutes.

(2) Remove the site's cookies (save any pending work first). While viewing a page on the site:

right-click and choose View Page Info > Security > "View Cookies"
   Alt+t (open the classic Tools menu) > Page Info > Security > "View Cookies"

In the dialog that opens, you can remove your Google cookies individually.
Then try reloading the page. Does that help?

B.  Repa, you did not mention if you looked at the screen shots I posted yesterday or not, so I was hoping what they showed might shed some light on what I'd need to do?
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: Firefox Browser   Firefox Browser - Page 2 Empty11/9/2013, 01:19

This scrshot shows how the "Privacy" looks when first opened, & the 2nd. shot below shows the "Custom Setting" from the menu.  Hope this helps!....

1.   Firefox Browser - Page 2 Privac10

2.   Firefox Browser - Page 2 Firefo11

Repa, Fay asked about this & I had looked at it before she mentioned it, but failed to look at the whole menu before, ...it was & still is set on "Remember history" which I might need to uncheck & not real sure what should or should not be checked> then I clicked on "Custom Settings" & you see what it reveals.....  Hope all these recent postings helps get this set up correctly...?

EDIT @ 11:50 pm CST: I just found & disabled the AVAST ONLINE SECURITY BROWSER ADD ON in IE...For some reason, unbeknownst to me, there were 2 entries there & they both said the same thing...why I don't know, but, now disabled, Hope it helps!.....
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

PostSubject: Re: Firefox Browser   Firefox Browser - Page 2 Empty11/9/2013, 10:46

WC, I've looked at your screen shots and I don't see anything that is causing your problem. On your first screen shot in the previous post, you could try selecting "do not tell sites anything about my tracking preferences" and I always set "Accept third party cookies" to "Never". When you run ccleaner, it will empty your cookies and cache. You can also empty cookies by clicking the "Show Cookies" button and you'll see the option there to delete them.

Try this: on the Privacy panel, click the Exceptions button and add the following addresses in the text box, selecting the Allow button for each one:

google.com
gmail.com
www.gmail.com
mail.google.com
gstatic.com
https://mail.google.com/intl/en/mail/help/about.html
https://mail.google.com/mail/?shva=1

If you still can't logon to gmail, you can try disabling your addons to see if one of them is causing the problem, and if you can logon to gmail in that configuration, add them back one at a time until the problem comes back. That will identify the addon that is causing the problem.

If the problem persists, follow the directions found here and see if that solves your problem:

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/reset-firefox-easily-fix-most-problems

If that doesn't do it, uninstall firefox, make sure the folder Mozilla Firefox in C > Program Files (x86) is gone, and if it's not, delete it and then reinstall Firefox.

What version of Firefox are you using? As I told you before, the one I'm looking at on this computer is 12.0 and I think the one on my other computers is 16. I have never had any problems with these 2 versions so I'll stick with them until I start having display problems because they are too outdated. For me NoScript is a necessity, so make sure you add it when your problem is resolved.

Last edited by Repa on 11/9/2013, 18:07; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
fay47
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
fay47

PostSubject: Re: Firefox Browser   Firefox Browser - Page 2 Empty11/9/2013, 12:32

I did a google search and found this

http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/947641

It was in response to this qustion
"Why can't I connect to Gmail using Firefox?"

Repa, what do you think?

Fay

Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

PostSubject: Re: Firefox Browser   Firefox Browser - Page 2 Empty11/9/2013, 12:44

fay47 wrote:

Repa,  what do you think?
WC just installed firefox the other day, but anything's possible, and this would certainly be a quick and easy fix if it's the problem. Give it a try, WC before you plow through all the stuff I left you in my last post.
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: Firefox Browser   Firefox Browser - Page 2 Empty11/9/2013, 16:20

Repa wrote:
fay47 wrote:

Repa,  what do you think?
WC just installed firefox the other day, but anything's possible, and this would certainly be a quick and easy fix if it's the problem. Give it a try, WC before you plow through all the stuff I left you in my last post.
I'll take a closer look at Fay's link later & try the solution & see what happens, when I can.  
I was thinking that regarding some of my other screen shots, that we were not on the same "playing field", you thinking one thing & me another.   I came here to post the following screenshot to try to clear things up but, I believe we on the same page now...but, I'll still post it anyway to be sure.
 I just wanted ya'll to see the page I am getting when I try to login at gmail......

Firefox Browser - Page 2 Gmail_10

As I said, I think we are on the same page now....,
I did disable the Avast Security add on, but I don't know if that caused my IE slow down & the IE Not Responding or not though.

Okay, thanks Fay & Repa.......
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

PostSubject: Re: Firefox Browser   Firefox Browser - Page 2 Empty11/9/2013, 18:06

WC, I can't tell you more from that than I already have - you need to work through the things we've suggested to you and try to eliminate what is causing your problem. Start with Fay's suggestion and if that doesn't work then go through the steps I gave you before her post. What version of firefox did you install?
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: Firefox Browser   Firefox Browser - Page 2 Empty11/9/2013, 19:07

Call it a miracle.....I don't know.....but I ran my weekly scans today....they just finished...they all were clean with no threats found, except SuperAntispyware found 7 Adware Tracking Cookies that it Removed & here they are:

Firefox Browser - Page 2 Supera10

After the scans finished, I opened up Firefox & decided to try my gmail acct., & for some unknown reason, this time the log In worked.   I hadn't had a chance to try any of the fixes such as Fay's, or anything else, it just worked & logged in this time.  

1.   Just wondering, I don't suppose removing those 7 threats wouldn't have made things work, could it????

2.  Would it be a good idea to make the changes to the "Privacy" section that you mentioned in your suggestions above Fay's post, where u mentioned "Accepting No 3rd. Party cookies", etc.....

3.  I'm using Firefox 16 that you gave me the filehippo link for. AT LEAST I THOUGHT VERSION FF 16.....
EDIT: 5:49 PM CST, I WAS JUST ON THE MOZILLA FIREFOX WEBSITE, & AT THE TOP OF THE PAGE IT SAID:" CONGRATULATIONS YOU ARE USING THE LATEST VERSION OF FIREFOX...THEN I CLICKED HELP ABOUT FIREFOX, AND IT SHOWED THAT I WAS USING VERSION 25. HOW DID THAT HAPPEN? DON'T KNOW HOW LONG V. 25 HAS BEEN ON HERE, BUT, IS THAT THE REASON THAT MY GMAIL BEGAN WORKING?

4.  Is Noscript at majorgeeks, or do you have the link?

Thanks......
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

PostSubject: Re: Firefox Browser   Firefox Browser - Page 2 Empty11/10/2013, 00:21

That is one of the cookies you need to access your gmail account. Always run ccleaner before running your malware scans so cookies you need like that don't get quarantined.

You must have automatic updates in firefox turned on to go from version 16 to 25 without your knowing it. It is set that way by default and you have to change it if you don't want it to happen. To do that select Tools > Options > Advanced > Update tab. Deselect Automatically install updates and select Check for updates but let me choos whether to install them.

You get NoScript by opening your firefox browser, select Tools > Add-ons > Get Add-ons. Type NoScript in the Search Text box at the top right of the page. On the page that appears, if you don't see NoScript, click the link at the bottom of the page that says something like "See all 28 results" (the number could be different for you). You'll find NoScript on the page that appears. Hover over where it says NoScript Security Suite and a button will appear that says "Add to Firefox." Click that button to add NoScript to your Add-ons.

If Firefox is now working to your satisfaction and you can login to gmail, then leave it alone. Don't fix what ain't broke other than what I've specified above about automatic updates and noscript, if that's what you want to do.

NoScript is necessary for safer browsing. You'll just have to learn by trial and error what scripts to allow. Ads are usually obvious by their names - you don't want to allow those.

Always run ccleaner after you are done browsing for the day, or even a couple of times during the day just to clear out cookies and cache and temporary internet files that can take up a lot of space.
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: Firefox Browser   Firefox Browser - Page 2 Empty11/10/2013, 01:37

I'll try to get this done tomorrow.....
I guess u mean if Ver 25 keeps working OK to just keep it????

Hey, Repa, I need to post something else, not related to this thread, but unsure where to post it...so I'll just add it here & you can move it if you want to.....but it's something that I think everyone needs to see....
  I saw it on Megyn Kelly program Friday nite on Fox news channel, it's what's really going on at our Southern Border....Dennis Michael Lynch is the film maker, & the following is the link for his website....      

www.theycometoamerica.com

I haven't been to the site yet, but I did run it thru Site Advisor and got a green OK for a safe site.....Tell me what you think...
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

PostSubject: Re: Firefox Browser   Firefox Browser - Page 2 Empty11/10/2013, 23:57

wcturner wrote:
I guess u mean if Ver 25 keeps working OK to just keep it????

Yes
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: Firefox Browser   Firefox Browser - Page 2 Empty11/11/2013, 02:14

1. Firefox Browser - Page 2 Firefo12 This shows that Auto Update was check marked so V.25 was installed.

2. Firefox Browser - Page 2 Chged_10 Please let me know if I need to change any settings on this pic or if I now have them correct?

3. What do you think of the website www.theycometoamerica.com ? Any comment?

Thanks....
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

PostSubject: Re: Firefox Browser   Firefox Browser - Page 2 Empty11/11/2013, 09:37

If you don't want updates to occur without your knowledge, then uncheck Search engines as well.

I moved that to General Discussion under the Community Lounge. I saw the interview Hannity had with that guy - this is something to be very concerned about. And Republicans are just as guilty as the democrats for allowing this to happen. They all don't give a crap about us or the security of this country as long as their pockets are being lined and they stay in power.
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: Firefox Browser   Firefox Browser - Page 2 Empty11/12/2013, 01:06

Repa wrote:
If you don't want updates to occur without your knowledge, then uncheck Search engines as well.

I have Search engines unchecked now, & thought it should be that way, just wanted be sure.....
I moved that to General Discussion under the Community Lounge. I saw the interview Hannity had with that guy - this is something to be very concerned about. And Republicans are just as guilty as the democrats for allowing this to happen. They all don't give a crap about us or the security of this country as long as their pockets are being lined and they stay in power.
I concur 100%, we need term limits in order to weed out all the lying scum in both Houses of Congress!!

I have Search engines unchecked now, & thought it should be that way, just wanted be sure.....
Thanks......

I've also got NoScript now, I wish now that I hadn't waited so long to get Firefox again, it's so much faster......where is the best place to try to learn how to determine which scripts to allow?......I guess it would be somewhere on Noscript website?.....

I checked Windows Update & saw that they have IE 11 out now....but I guess you know that?....Thanks....
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

PostSubject: Re: Firefox Browser   Firefox Browser - Page 2 Empty11/12/2013, 09:57

The scripts to allow are by trial and error for the most part. If things aren't being displayed correctly or you can't do something on the website that you used to do or should be able to do (like going to a link provided there or logging in, etc.), then you need to look at what sites are being blocked. You can google the sites to find out who they are and sometimes what they do. It's usually obvious which sites need to be allowed, like the first time you go to a familiar site, that site itself may be blocked and so you need to allow it - like gmail, geeks, etc. If there are several sites being blocked and you can't do something thatyou should be able to do, allow them one by one. If it lets you do what you couldn't do, then that's the one to remain allowed. If allowing a script doesn't let you do what you should be able to do, then reblock it.
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: Firefox Browser   Firefox Browser - Page 2 Empty11/12/2013, 16:22

Okay, Thanks......
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: Firefox Browser   Firefox Browser - Page 2 Empty11/13/2013, 01:41

Repa,

1. Can you tell me the easy way to get Adobe Flash player for my firefox browser, as Youtube said I need it...& also majorgeeks...I tried to get it therebut couldn't...if you'll take a look at this scrshot shows what I don't have or don't know how to get it to show....I tried to post this while in Firefox, but the menu bar above this text box was not showing, so I had to come here in IE....

Firefox Browser - Page 2 Don_t_10

2. When trying to install Flash in Firefox & as you can see there is no space where it says to Enable javascript, & to install Flash on Firefox it said I would need javascript....So I need a fast easy way to install flash the simplest way possible....What a pain!!!!!

3. And, also having problems getting Noscript to allow, do I just click on them to allow? Noscript of course has changed since I last had it also!

Certainly appreciate your help!!
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

PostSubject: Re: Firefox Browser   Firefox Browser - Page 2 Empty11/13/2013, 02:52

Get Adobe Flash Here: http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

If you're having troulbe with downloading it in firefox, make sure www.adobe.com is allowed in NoScript, or download and install it from IE. Also, I notice when I disable Java in Firefox, it tells me it is needed to do the download/install, but if you proceed, it will offer an install application that you can download to your My Download folder and it will install flash from your computer. I also noted that the latest version of flash requires firefox version 17 or greater. I went ahead and got the latest version of Java several weeks ago, but keep it disabled in my browsers until it's needed. For sites that use gif buttons that require Java, you may have to download Java for the buttons to work.

To allow a site in NoScript, in the lower right corner of your screen you will see a button that says options if scripts are being blocked. Click that button and you will see the options you have for allowing, or temporarily allowing that site and other 3rd party sites for that webpage. Click on the option you want.

Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: Firefox Browser   Firefox Browser - Page 2 Empty11/13/2013, 20:38

1. I'm using FF browser to post this. I've got a couple of scrshots to post, but as I mentioned in above post YESTERDAY(1.)"I tried to post this while in Firefox, but the menu bar above this text box was not showing, so I had to come here in IE".... Now, this is back to today, still in Firefox browser, can't post screenshots, there's no menu bar showing, so there's no "Host An Image", No Colors" to add, & this "Text Box" is only one half inch tall in comparison to the size of it in IE. Do you know why it's like this?

2. I installed adobe flash player, went to youtube to see if it worked....at first I got the popup that I needed the plugin to use youtube....then I clicked on several other videos in my bookmarks, & finally youtube began working.....I am wondering why it didn't start working right off the bat?

3. Would this Adobe Flash Player combine in "MyDownloads" with the flashplayer that I already had in IE? The App was in MyDownloads when I clicked to install it but now it is not showing there, & of course there is nothing to show that it was installed on today's date??

Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: Firefox Browser   Firefox Browser - Page 2 Empty11/13/2013, 20:44

I found the colors box, when I click post reply to see what would happen...Box marked None &use implicit), but I still don't know answers to my other questions above?.........Thanks...
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

PostSubject: Re: Firefox Browser   Firefox Browser - Page 2 Empty11/13/2013, 21:08

1) For geeks to work correctly, you need to allow forumotion.net, googleapis.com, and illiweb.com

2) I don't know

3) If it had the same name as the one that was there, it would replace it.
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: Firefox Browser   Firefox Browser - Page 2 Empty11/14/2013, 01:33

1. Here at geeks, in the lower right corner of my screen I clicked the button that says options, & then clicked to allow illiweb.com, & that apparently also allowed forumotion.net, & googleapis.com, because before I was able to click on them, the "Options" box disappeared....but this site all appears normal now.....Does that make sense?

2.  If I remember correctly, a couple of years ago Java had a security issue, & I got rid of it & never did install it again....& since you disable Java in Firefox, I assume java is still a security risk?

3.  Tonite, just before coming here, I went to my banking login page, & I got a page about needing java...so then I checked the options button & allowed the bank page, & I guess that took care of it...?  It appeared to work properly.   Does that make sense?  

4.  A.  And, does java still have a problem with it?

B.  I was able earlier tonight to install the Adobe Flash Player, does that mean I somehow have Java again?

C.   Will I need to get Java, or what?   If I can get by without it, I'd just as soon not have to install it?..

D.  I just reviewed your post at the top of this page, & saw this:   For sites that use gif buttons that require Java, you may have to download Java for the buttons to work.     I don't know what gif buttons are anyway.?..... I've never bothered to install Java on this new computer, & I never got it again on the old one, & I never missed it, so i don't know?.....  

5. About Adobe Flash Player, I checked the box for them to ask me about installing updates, but, do you think it would be Okay for me to change that to Automatic Updates, or not? 

Thanks......
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Firefox Browser   Firefox Browser - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Firefox Browser
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next