Geeks, Geeks and More Geeks
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THIS FORUM IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. SORRY! DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REGISTER; YOUR REQUEST WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Firefox Browser

Go down 
3 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

Number of posts : 2378
Humor : Age: Older than Dirt!
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Firefox Browser - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Firefox Browser   Firefox Browser - Page 3 Empty11/14/2013, 19:46

If you are getting by without Java, don't worry about it. I think a lot of sites must be moving away from using it. The latest Java update is ok, but when not in use, I disable Java in the browsers just for increased safety. Whether all the issues with it have been taken care of is anyone's guess. I've not seen anywhere yet that it is free of all problems, only that many of the issues have been fixed. Caution is the better part of valor.

I don't let anything update without me knowing about it and allowing it to happen. If you feel comfortable in letting that happen, that's your decision to make. Browsers like chrome and other software are often downloaded with updates unless you intervene manually. Adobe is one of those providers that does that - like Flash will install Chrome unless you manually prevent it.
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

PostSubject: Re: Firefox Browser   Firefox Browser - Page 3 Empty11/14/2013, 20:29

Can't remember if I ever told you guys about this, but here are some instructions on how to make firefox a little faster and more efficient:

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Firefox-Load-Pages-Faster
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

Number of posts : 1165
Humor : Yes
Registration date : 2009-10-26

PostSubject: Re: Firefox Browser   Firefox Browser - Page 3 Empty11/15/2013, 01:09

Repa wrote:
Can't remember if I ever told you guys about this, but here are some instructions on how to make firefox a little faster and more efficient:

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Firefox-Load-Pages-Faster
Thanks, I'll check it out. Did it make yours faster?......
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

PostSubject: Re: Firefox Browser   Firefox Browser - Page 3 Empty11/15/2013, 11:01

I think so.... Definitely much better than IE. I'm starting to use firefox more and more.
Back to top Go down
fay47
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
fay47

Number of posts : 1480
Registration date : 2008-10-17
Mood : none

PostSubject: Re: Firefox Browser   Firefox Browser - Page 3 Empty11/16/2013, 01:49

I may just have to give up on IE and use firefox, I have been clinging onto IE but it is getting way to slow.

Fay
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: Firefox Browser   Firefox Browser - Page 3 Empty11/16/2013, 01:52

Repa wrote:
I think so.... Definitely much better than IE. I'm starting to use firefox more and more.
You're reading my mind.......my next question  was gonna be "Why are you still using IE when FF is so much better in all respects"?.......

thanks.....
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: Firefox Browser   Firefox Browser - Page 3 Empty11/19/2013, 01:34

Firefox Browser - Page 3 Firefo13

1. As you see in the screenshot, Firefox already has another update offering me...just because it says it is a security & stability update does not mean that I should necessarily install it for the "Security" does it? FF version 25.0 seems to work just fine, so, don't you think I probably should just stick with it for now???

2. When in Firefox, such as now, when posting a screenshot>& click "Host It"> then the "Thumbnail / Images section comes up next, & when I click "Copy" it doesn't high light the "Path" as it's supposed to...I have to manually hi-lite it for it to work...Is there something else that need to be allowed? Although, the "Options" in the bottom right side of screen removed itself when I first "Allowed" geeks...

Thanks....
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

PostSubject: Re: Firefox Browser   Firefox Browser - Page 3 Empty11/19/2013, 01:51

WC, normally I would tell you to keep current with updates offered. When I do a browser update, I google the version adding the word "reviews" to see what problems people might be having. If it appears to be pretty clean, I'll go ahead and update. I haven't been using firefox much in the past, but IE has become such a dog that I've started using it more and more. I'll probably start updating it in the near future. So, check the internet for what's going on with the new update, and if you don't find anything negative, go for it.
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: Firefox Browser   Firefox Browser - Page 3 Empty11/19/2013, 02:29

That's the same reason I returned to Firefox.
Thanks< I appreciate it!......
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

PostSubject: Re: Firefox Browser   Firefox Browser - Page 3 Empty12/2/2013, 10:36

Just to let you know:

I now have the latest version of Firefox. Seems to work quite well.

The laptop I was working on for a friend had IE11 on it, and I was amazed at how fast it was! So, I decided to read some reviews and all were pretty positive. I decided to download it and give it a try on one of my laptops.

So far, I am not disappointed! Can't tell for sure which is faster now, IE11 or Firefox!

I did find that the 64-bit version of IE11 seems to work a little better (faster) on my laptop than the 32-bit version, both of which are put on the computer at the same time by Windows Update. I think that's because the dual core AMD processor on my laptop handles 64 bit applications better than 32 bit applications since the laptop is a 64 bit machine.

I will say I am disappointed in the AMD dual core processosr on my Acer and Compaq laptops, although they are 2 of the smaller AMD processors. I have them because my wife wanted a new laptop and I got her an Acer that she didn't like so she went back to the Dell. When I had to send the Dell in to replace the video chip, she didn't want to wait for its return (took 8 days) and wanted another, so I got her a Compaq. She didn't like that one either and went back to the Dell. When she had her hip replacement last year, she wanted an IPAD while in the hospital, so I got her one and now that's all she'll use. So, now I have a 2002 Dell Desktop, Acer, Dell, and Compaq laptops, and an IPAD for 2 people (LOL)!

Nevertheless, I want a workhorse desktop for my image processing as the laptops just don't cut it; too slow and the contrast/brightness changes with respect to your viewing position on the laptop screens, making processing images with the right brightness/contrast difficult. I have to check them on the IPAD with its IOS type display (really nice and bright - viewing angle doesn't change what you see) after uploading them to Facebook, and sometimes have to re-edit them and upload them again. But, I'm in no hurry - will eventually get one. Will be going to Intel Quad Core with a 3+Ghz processor and a fast Video card the next time I buy or build another desktop computer.
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: Firefox Browser   Firefox Browser - Page 3 Empty12/2/2013, 11:04

1. On my windows updates it has been offering me IE 10 & IE 11 for a while now......do you have to install both of them ?

2. I'll wait to see whatyou find out, please let me know as soon as possible...

3. BTW, do you have Firefox 25.0.1 version?... I thought there was some issues with that ver? I still have Ver. 25.0...
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

PostSubject: Re: Firefox Browser   Firefox Browser - Page 3 Empty12/2/2013, 18:27

You do not have to install IE10.

I have firefox 25.0.1. It loads the homepage faster than IE11, but after that I can't tell much difference. No issues seen so far, but with IE11 performing the way it has so far, I'll probably use it more than I do Firefox unless something changes.

Well, just discovered something with IE11 - was looking at a video in Facebook and decided to expand it to full screen. IE11 stopped responding. Tried the same thing in Firefox and no problem! Tried it several times just to make sure, always the same response. Other than that, IE11 is a big improvement over IE8 or IE10 and doing ok otherwise so far. Will keep you informed if I find anything else.
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: Firefox Browser   Firefox Browser - Page 3 Empty12/4/2013, 01:53

As I said, I still have firefox 25.0 & I also still have IE 8....about the last 3 days I've been getting the "Not Responding" from my FF....& I've had to switch over to IE & it has been working better than FF.....the last few days is the complete opposite of why I went back to Firefox...go figure......

1. So, I'm thinking that maybe since you're having good luck with FF 25.0.1, maybe I ought to go ahead & update to FF 25.0.1 also, I wonder if that would stop the "Not Responding".......I'd like your opinion on this please?
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

PostSubject: Re: Firefox Browser   Firefox Browser - Page 3 Empty12/4/2013, 09:53

25.0.1 is working fine for me - very fast, so give it a try. You will like IE11 as well - I've only encountered the one problem so far.
Back to top Go down
fay47
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
fay47

PostSubject: Re: Firefox Browser   Firefox Browser - Page 3 Empty12/4/2013, 13:40

Repa,

Do you have avast weprep enabled in either of them.

I currently have a recent vers ion of 10 for IE, have been pretty happy with it. Don't know what the difference is from prior versions of 10, but it is much better. Did not know whether or not wanted to upgrade to 11. Maybe I will, or may wait a while.

Fay
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

PostSubject: Re: Firefox Browser   Firefox Browser - Page 3 Empty12/4/2013, 20:38

I do not have webrep enabled. I'm running with the minimum add-ons needed for now, will add it later and see what impact it has.
Back to top Go down
fay47
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
fay47

PostSubject: Re: Firefox Browser   Firefox Browser - Page 3 Empty12/4/2013, 20:46

Repa,

Ok, I do not have it enable either. Before it was causing problems, have not tried it since I set things back up on my computer. Have not idea what happened between the version of IE I did have and the one I have now- but the one I have now appears much better - both the old and the new were/are 10 something.

Thanks
Fay
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: Firefox Browser   Firefox Browser - Page 3 Empty12/5/2013, 01:54

Repa,
1. I updated to FF 25.0.1 today.....haven't used it enough to notice any difference as yet......

2. Gonna try to install IE 11 Friday.....I'll set a Restore point first.....I can't remember from time to time between updates...Is there anything else after setting restore point that I need to remember to do, other than pay close attention to the prompts????....

3. I also set a restore point when I updated to FF 25.0.1...but that wasn't necessary was it?....
thanks......
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

PostSubject: Re: Firefox Browser   Firefox Browser - Page 3 Empty12/5/2013, 03:04

Before Windows Update does an update, it will set a restore point. Can't remember if Firefox does or not, but I think not. It is always good to set a new restore point before making a change to your system so you have a definite fall back position if needed.
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: Firefox Browser   Firefox Browser - Page 3 Empty12/5/2013, 14:39

yeah, i'm constantly trying to remember to set restore points, & stay more conscious & alert on computer....

Updating to IE 11 should not be a problem, correct?...that's my main concern?....
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

PostSubject: Re: Firefox Browser   Firefox Browser - Page 3 Empty12/5/2013, 17:28

No, it's just like any other windows update, you just have to go select it and start the download/install yourself.
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: Firefox Browser   Firefox Browser - Page 3 Empty12/5/2013, 20:53

since I posted the above, I was thinking that it should be like any win update....
thanks.....

EDIT @ 10:12 PM CST:  

1.  Just finished getting the IE11 Update....No Problems.....

2.  I looked around a little.... I unchecked the box for Automatic Updates already....I found that when I clicked "About IE"...Is that the only box for  Automatic Updates?

3. a. I opened "Internet Options" Advanced & looked in it.....Since I don't know what questions to ask, other than this one...Should I leave "Enable Third Party Browser extensions box check marked?
3. b.   Can you tell me of any of the other boxes that I should have checked or Un checked please?

4.  One thing that I noticed right off that IE 11 doesn't have, & I hope it can be enacted is the "Favorites" that was in IE 8, that was located below the "Menu" bar, it was much easier to navigate because you could go from top to bottom in seconds, I could use the wheel on the Mouse, it was so much easier & pleasant to use.   Do you know what I'm referring to, & is there a way to enable that form of "Favorites"?  OKAY, FORGET THIS QUESTION, I JUST FOUND HOW TO ENABLE IT!   But, the only thing is when I click the "X" to close it, the next time I have to go to>View>Explorer Bars>Favorites to open it up again...Do you know a shorter route to open it up?

5.  I'd appreciate any other settings that you think I need to change in any way, shape or form??

6.  So far it seems pretty good...Hope it continues...thanks......
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

PostSubject: Re: Firefox Browser   Firefox Browser - Page 3 Empty12/6/2013, 09:16

wcturner wrote:

2.  I looked around a little.... I unchecked the box for Automatic Updates already....I found that when I clicked "About IE"...Is that the only box for  Automatic Updates?

That is for new versions of IE, not automatic updates. Leave the box unchecked. IE11 will still be automatically updated when Windows Update runs.

3. a. I opened "Internet Options" Advanced & looked in it.....Since I don't know what questions to ask, other than this one...Should I leave "Enable Third Party Browser extensions box check marked?

No, you want to Block third party extensions

3. b.   Can you tell me of any of the other boxes that I should have checked or Un checked please?

4.  One thing that I noticed right off that IE 11 doesn't have, & I hope it can be enacted is the "Favorites" that was in IE 8, that was located below the "Menu" bar, it was much easier to navigate because you could go from top to bottom in seconds, I could use the wheel on the Mouse, it was so much easier & pleasant to use.   Do you know what I'm referring to, & is there a way to enable that form of "Favorites"?  OKAY, FORGET THIS QUESTION, I JUST FOUND HOW TO ENABLE IT!   But, the only thing is when I click the "X" to close it, the next time I have to go to>View>Explorer Bars>Favorites to open it up again...Do you know a shorter route to open it up?

No, maybe Fay has an answer for that. Don't X out of it is all I can tell you if you want it to remain.

5.  I'd appreciate any other settings that you think I need to change in any way, shape or form??

6.  So far it seems pretty good...Hope it continues...thanks......
Back to top Go down
fay47
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
fay47

PostSubject: Re: Firefox Browser   Firefox Browser - Page 3 Empty12/6/2013, 12:48

WC

I did not have ie11 but went ahead and installed and had a look.

Up at top on the right under the 3 boxes, there are 3 icons - one is a star. Click on it and it will bring up the box with the favorites.
For me it puts it on the right. To close it I have to press ESC or I can move it to the left by clicking on the arrow at the upper left of the favorites box.

I can not get the wheel on my mouse to work there no matter which way I open it. If it is working for you the way you were opening it, maybe it will work this way. Not sure if it will work with the box on the right or If you will have to click the arrow to move it to the left.

Post back and let me know if his is what you meant and how it works for you.

Fay
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

PostSubject: Re: Firefox Browser   Firefox Browser - Page 3 Empty12/6/2013, 17:49

Thanks Fay, I don't mess with that stuff, put stuff on the favorites bar that I frequently go to, and use favorites on the menu bar for everything else. I was able to scroll with the mouse wheel in the window with the window on the right. I think I might start using this though, as is it much more convenient than using Favorites on the menu bar, and easier to get to what you want to get to.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Firefox Browser   Firefox Browser - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Firefox Browser
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next