Geeks, Geeks and More Geeks
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THIS FORUM IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. SORRY! DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REGISTER; YOUR REQUEST WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Question About Linksys and Public Wi-Fi Access

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

Number of posts : 2378
Humor : Age: Older than Dirt!
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Question About Linksys and Public Wi-Fi Access Empty
PostSubject: Question About Linksys and Public Wi-Fi Access   Question About Linksys and Public Wi-Fi Access Empty10/13/2008, 20:32

Aloverssunset
Geekster Supreme

Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:12 pm Post subject: Question about linksys · Quote · Edit · Delete · IP

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can someone tell me about linksys? How does it work? It is the way I am online. I live close to hotels and banks, is it legal to use this?

Rob had bought me a zytel wireless modem, when I connected my computer I found I could get online, how is this possible?

Thanks for any help
Sandra

Life is beautiful, live it wisely, fully, justly and with lots of love...S.M.

Back to top · Profile · PM · Email

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

wwe9112
Royal Geek

Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:31 pm Post subject: · Quote · Edit · Delete · IP

I get linksys as well at my aunts. They dont have securit on there wireless internet. I'm not sure if it's legal, but I use them since i can't get online down there my wireless won't reach that far.

Back to top · Profile · PM · Email · MSN

pepperpot
Site Admin

Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:55 pm Post subject: · Quote · Edit · Delete · IP

Sandra,

I would not know how Linksys works. But as you know I have recently acquired a new laptop.

This Laptop is Vista and wireless. At the moment my paid connection is DSL, which I am using on the old computer. When I use the new computer, I have notice that one of the connections I can use.. via wireless is my paid connection... among others... so perhaps your wireless is connecting with a user in the district using Linksys

How strong is the connection?

What firewall are you using?

To be honest I think this is quite normal as your wireless should be able to pick up what ever connection is available if you were a traveling person... you just have to make sure of your protection

"Spirituality is not religion, religion divides people. Believing in something unites"

Back to top · Profile · PM · Email · WWW

wwe9112
Royal Geek

Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:47 pm Post subject: · Quote · Edit · Delete · IP

So, my local area police is driving around looking for people 'stealing' internet, would I get into trouble using it? They don't have security on it so i don't think i should get into touble.

fay47
Royal Geek

Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:07 pm Post subject: · Quote · Edit · Delete · IP

Am I the only one that sees things a little differently?

I guess I don't think it is right to use someeone elses internet just because they don't have secutity. Would it be right to take something that you knew belonged to someone else just becuase they had left it lying unwatched for a while?

Just my opinion.

Fay

pepperpot
Site Admin

Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:20 pm Post subject: · Quote · Edit · Delete · IP

Fay,

I am with you... but as I said... I do not know how Linksys work... and here is my next question... Sandra please forgive me if I am going off topic....

my question is... what is "Hot Spots" and how does it work?

"Spirituality is not religion, religion divides people. Believing in something unites"

Repa
Site Admin
User is Online

Posted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:03 am Post subject: · Quote · Edit · Delete · IP

A hotspot is a venue that offers public Wi-Fi access. The public can use a laptop, WiFi phone, or other suitable portable device to access the Internet. Using an open public network is the easiest way to create a free HotSpot. All that is needed is a Wi-Fi router. However, the disadvantage is that access to the router cannot be controlled.

Closed public networks use a HotSpot Management System to control the HotSpot. This software runs on the router itself or uses an external computer for it. With the help of this software, operators can authorize only specific users to be able to access the internet, and they often associate the free access to a menu or to a purchase limit.

Most hotspots are unsecured. User data is shared as clear text as all users access the internet via the hotspot.

Some hotspots authenticate users. This does not secure the data transmission or prevent packet sniffers from allowing people to see traffic on the network.

Others such as T-mobile provide a download option that deploys WPA support specific to T-mobile.

A "poisoned hotspot" refers to a free public hotspot set up by identity thieves or other malicious individuals for the purpose of "sniffing" the data sent by the user.

With a wireless capability on your computer, you have the ability to connect to any wireless router or access point in your neighborhood that has not been secured and that is close enough to you with enough signal strength for you to piggyback onto it. But you take a risk when you do that, as it is an easy way for some unscrupulous person who has gained access in the same way to hack your computer, get data and personal information on your computer, "sniff" your data traffic on the network, etc.

If you have a wireless router or wireless access point (an access point gives you wireless access to an established network such as an ethernet router), I suggest you check the user manual (it may be online if it didn't come with the unit) for how to set it up with WEP or WPA security settings. WEP is the minimun you should have for blocking access, but it doesn't mean that your data stream cannot be intercepted. WEP authenticates users but does not secure the data transmission or prevent packet sniffers from allowing people to see traffic on the network.

WPA is really the lowest security setting you should have. I use WPA-PSK. You can read about it here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/bowman_03july28.mspx

Most routers and access points now come with WPA security setting capability. You should have instructions with your router or access point, or you can call the vendor technical support and they will walk you through the setup over the phone. Leaving your wireless network unsecured is asking for trouble, and piggybacking onto an unsecured network is doing the same thing, as well as not being very ethical.

Older than dirt!

wwe9112
Royal Geek

Posted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:35 am Post subject: · Quote · Edit · Delete · IP

lol, I thought it was a hotspot being I get it everywhere downtown here, well other then where i live i get my nabors up stairs(but I don't use them I use ours sinxe we have DSL 3mps i think which is faster then what they get) Thnks repa.

pepperpot
Site Admin

Posted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:35 am Post subject: Re: Question about linksys · Quote · Edit · Delete · IP

Aloverssunset wrote:
Can someone tell me about linksys? How does it work? It is the way I am online. I live close to hotels and banks, is it legal to use this?

Rob had bought me a zytel wireless modem, when I connected my computer I found I could get online, how is this possible?

Thanks for any help
Sandra

Sandra,

From what Repa has said about "Hotspots" and from what I just read about Linksys... it seems you are connected through a hotspot.

(Thank you Repa )

Quote:
The WRT54GS is a newer model of the WRT54G, which looks quite different; the WTR54GS (note the transposition of the second and third letters) is a "travel router" with an integral power supply, suitable for setting up an ad-hoc wireless network in a hotel room
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linksys

Is it legal to use... hmmm... still looking for an answer

Here is an interesting blog I just found
http://www.shandyking.com/2007/02/18/hijack-hacked-linksys-wireless-router/

Last edited by pepperpot on Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

Aloverssunset
Geekster Supreme

Posted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:13 am Post subject: · Quote · Edit · Delete · IP

Thank you all for your responses and links. Sam the connection is strong, I do have my windows firewall on.

Thanks again

Sandra

Life is beautiful, live it wisely, fully, justly and with lots of love...S.M.

wwe9112
Royal Geek

Posted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:30 am Post subject: · Quote · Edit · Delete · IP

You shouldn't use windows firewall my stepfather says, he says it only blocks out going(i think thats what he said) we use zonealarm.

pepperpot
Site Admin

Posted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:27 pm Post subject: · Quote · Edit · Delete · IP

Sandra,

I have heard that Comodo firewall is the best out there... and its free for life

http://www.freepowerboards.com/geeksmore/geeksmore-about1266.html

I have not install it as yet in mine as I am still looking into wireless options we have over here. But I will

Remember you can have one hardware firewall & one software firewall active... but not two software firewalls active (enable)
Back to top Go down

Question About Linksys and Public Wi-Fi Access
Page 1 of 1