Geeks, Geeks and More Geeks
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THIS FORUM IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. SORRY! DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REGISTER; YOUR REQUEST WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Change Language - Vista Word

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

Number of posts : 2378
Humor : Age: Older than Dirt!
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Change Language - Vista Word Empty
PostSubject: Change Language - Vista Word   Change Language - Vista Word Empty10/28/2008, 21:58

pepperpot
Site Admin

Posted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:32 pm Post subject: Change language - Vista Word · Quote · Edit · Delete · IP

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For the life of me I cannot find how to change the language when typing in word. I found the dictionary so I know I have the different languages installed. But to set the language for the spell checker to check I cannot find the how to.

Another thing too... where is the "help folder" in Word... can't find that one either - lol

In Xp I have the choice to choose the languages I would be always working in and therefore I can use different languages in just one document ... for example I have English American, British English, Spanish Venezuelan, Spanish Spain, French Traditional and Latin.

I would really like to fix those up for my work surface on Vista... please help

Thank you

"Spirituality is not religion, religion divides people. Believing in something unites"

Back to top · Profile · PM · Email · WWW

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Repa
Site Admin
User is Online

Posted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:24 pm Post subject: · Quote · Edit · Delete · IP

Sam, not exactly sure what you are asking, so I'll give you everything I know about what I think you are asking. I have MS Office 2000 Small Business Edition. The help menu is on the Menu bar at the top of the page when you open Word. The information below was taken from the Help menu for Office 2000 Small business:

The English version of Microsoft Office 2000 comes with proofing tools for English, Spanish, and French. To check spelling in other languages, use the Microsoft Office 2000 Proofing Tools. These Proofing Tools provide the fonts, localized templates, and spelling and grammar checkers you need to create and edit documents in different languages when using Office programs. Other items you'll find in the Proofing Tools are AutoCorrect lists, AutoSummarize rules (Microsoft Word only), and — for Asian languages — Input Method Editors (IMEs).

The Proofing Tools can be obtained from a licensed reseller (CD assy: X03-80950; SKU: 053-00200).

To Change the language for the user interface of Office 2000 programs:

1. Obtain the Microsoft Office 2000 MultiLanguage Pack and install it.

2. On the Windows Start menu, point to Programs, point to Office Tools, and then click Microsoft Office Language Settings.

3. On the User Interface tab, click the language you want in the Display menus and dialog boxes in list.

To Change the language for Help in Office 2000 programs:

1. Obtain the Microsoft Office 2000 MultiLanguage Pack and install it.

2. On the Windows Start menu, point to Programs, point to Office Tools, and then click Microsoft Office Language Settings.

3. On the User Interface tab, click the language you want in the Display Help in list.

The above 2 sets of instructions seem redundant, as they are identical. I got this to work by only doing it once. It may be different for another version of Office. I did not have the Multilanguage pack, and when I followed the above instructions, a window came up asking for the PowerPoint CD and from that installed the feature.

Notes:

· In Microsoft Word, when you have enabled editing for a specific language and installed the Microsoft Office 2000 Proofing Tools, Word will be able to automatically detect that language in documents and apply the correct proofing tools. For a list of the languages that Word can automatically detect, see Word Help.

· Some languages — for example, Asian, right-to-left, and Central European languages — have system requirements that must be met before you can type characters for those languages in Office programs. For most other languages, you can install the correct keyboard layout to type characters for that language.

Install multilanguage support in Windows 2000:

I found this procedure unnecessary since I only use English and French (France). According to the documention, English, French and Spanish come with the Office suite. If you use other languages, you may need to follow this procedure.

This procedure applies only if you are running a language version of Windows 2000 that doesn't match the language you want to type. Use this procedure when you want to enter characters for Baltic, Central European, Cyrillic, Greek, Turkish, and Asian languages, or right-to-left languages (Arabic, Hebrew, Farsi, and Urdu) in Microsoft Office 2000 programs.
If you are unable to install multilanguage support, see your system administrator.

1. On the Windows Start menu, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.

2. Double-click the Regional Settings icon.

3. On the General tab, click the language you want in the Available list, and then click Add.

4. Repeat step 3 for each language you want.

Spelling and Grammar Checking (my comments):

1. If the spell checker doesn’t seem to be correctly detecting the language automatically, especially if you have mixed languages in the same document, select the text you want to check and then select Tools > Language > Set Language, In the Language window that appears, select the language you want and check the box that says “detect automatically” and click ok. The first time, you may be asked to supply your Office CD to install the feature for the language if it isn’t already installed. If you have 2 different languages in the same document, say French and English, you should be able to add to either section and the Spelling and Grammar check should detect the correct language in each section and give you suggestions for corrections.

I hope that answers your questions. If not, post back and I'll try again, but all I have to go on is Office 2000. I don't have a later version (but I still have Office 97! Don't use it anymore, though )

Older than dirt!

Back to top · Profile · PM · Email

pepperpot
Site Admin

Posted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:51 pm Post subject: · Quote · Edit · Delete · IP

Wow... ... ok... Repa... I will read this in the morning and get back to you

Thanks for your prompt reply

"Spirituality is not religion, religion divides people. Believing in something unites"

pepperpot
Site Admin

Posted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:09 am Post subject: · Quote · Edit · Delete · IP

Repa,

On my one of my computers (my old baby ) I have Windows XP with Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003

And yes Help is right up there. But I am asking where is it for Vista?

Your instructions also applies to Professional Edition and really easy to do.

See screen shots:

I am only allowed to have 4 choices in the “quick list” but it is easy to revert from one to the other.

For the regional settings I have these. As a bilingual we need these little things - lol

Anyway… the new computer is Vista and with Word 2007… I can’t find these settings… not even “Help” – lol (to help myself )

Hmmm… I wonder if it’s because it’s Home Edition - lol

Repa
Site Admin
User is Online

Posted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:55 pm Post subject: · Quote · Edit · Delete · IP

Well, that helps! On the top right end of the Ribbon, you will see a question mark in a round blue button. That is the Help Menu. Looks like you can also type a question and get help at the top right end of your page too - like type in "Using different languages." Here are 2 websites that should help you with other questions about Word 2007:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/word/HA100744321033.aspx

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9010482

Here's one more:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/training/CR100654561033.aspx

Here's help on working in a different language:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/word/CH100487541033.aspx

Older than dirt!

Back to top · Profile · PM · Email

pepperpot
Site Admin

Posted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:11 pm Post subject: · Quote · Edit · Delete · IP

Repa wrote:
On the top right end of the Ribbon, you will see a question mark in a round blue button. That is the Help Menu.

In the words of Homer Simpson D'oh!!

Thanks for the links Repa... I will work on it next week and let you know
Back to top Go down

Change Language - Vista Word
Page 1 of 1